Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:12 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,289 times

Advertisements

In 2010 the economic impact of travel & tourism in North Carolina was a little over $17 Billion. $834 Million was spent in Dare County alone.
Of that $834 Million there was $45 Million collected in state taxes and $40 Million in local government taxes.

This info came from the NC Commerce Dept. No where did I find any mention of real estate or real estate excise taxes (Stamps) in their report.

Sooo.......Is it worth rebuilding Hwy. 12??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 05:49 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,275 times
The thing is there other lasting ideas. Other than rebuilding a road after every big storm. The last time 5 million was spent. This time it will be much more. This is a map of the hot spots that the state had targeted before the storm. NCDOT: NC 12 Improvements I have not been able to find a map that I can compare damage to the areas that would id these areas. The other fact would or should I say. Would it be better to remove the road sections and replace with a cheaper trail type and make those areas preserves.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:55 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill hitchcock View Post
in 2010 the economic impact of travel & tourism in north carolina was a little over $17 billion. $834 million was spent in dare county alone.
Of that $834 million there was $45 million collected in state taxes and $40 million in local government taxes.

This info came from the nc commerce dept. No where did i find any mention of real estate or real estate excise taxes (stamps) in their report.

Sooo.......is it worth rebuilding hwy. 12??
no

Old 08-31-2011, 07:24 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
Since72,

I'm not a math major, but it costing $5 million to build a road that generated approx. 72x times that amount in the 8 years since it was rebuilt sounds like good economic sense to me.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:34 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
The thing is there other lasting ideas. Other than rebuilding a road after every big storm. The last time 5 million was spent. This time it will be much more. This is a map of the hot spots that the state had targeted before the storm. NCDOT: NC 12 Improvements I have not been able to find a map that I can compare damage to the areas that would id these areas. The other fact would or should I say. Would it be better to remove the road sections and replace with a cheaper trail type and make those areas preserves.
One of the alternative bridges, I believe it was 17miles in length, would've bypassed the north end of Hatteras Island connecting directly to Rodanthe. That would cut out all those areas that are giving the road problems.

But it cost an extraordinary amount of money, plus it would take too long to build. Bonner Bridge needed replacing 10 years ago.

But, FTR, I am in favor of the longer bridge.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:35 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Since72,

I'm not a math major, but it costing $5 million to build a road that generated approx. 72x times that amount in the 8 years since it was rebuilt sounds like good economic sense to me.
Also Dare County has greater flexibility in terms of raising local revenues than many other places, which offsets increased maintenance costs. The usual people complain but you never see them move back to wherever they came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
One of the alternative bridges, I believe it was 17miles in length, would've bypassed the north end of Hatteras Island connecting directly to Rodanthe. That would cut out all those areas that are giving the road problems.

But it cost an extraordinary amount of money, plus it would take too long to build. Bonner Bridge needed replacing 10 years ago.

But, FTR, I am in favor of the longer bridge.
A causeway plan bypassing the island has been floated occasionally as well, and ultimately something resembling either one of those two options will have to be pursued if Hatteras island is to remain populated. The longer it's put off and as the barrier islands naturally shift westward the more it's going to cost.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
The vast majority of that 834 million is in the Kitty Hawk-Kill Devil Hills-Nags Head part of Dare, which has no access issues.

I do think the road should be rebuilt though. If costs are an issue, the new bridges could be made toll bridges, so they could pay for themselves. Residents could get discounts for frequent travel, and the vast majority of tourists would not have a problem chipping in a few bucks to get to the southern Outer Banks.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:06 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Sooo.......Is it worth rebuilding Hwy. 12??
if Dare County wants to pay for it, sure. i'm all for it.

if the highway is so economically important, like you imply, then it oughta be easy for Dare County to pay for. I also couldn't help but notice that their property tax rate is lower than ours here in New Hanover County. I guess that means we're all paying, so Dare County can keep it's taxes low.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,289 times
Quote:
if the highway is so economically important, like you imply, then it oughta be easy for Dare County to pay for.
Dare Co. is already giving the state $45,000,000 a year. Don't you think the state could give a little back?

Quote:
I also couldn't help but notice that their property tax rate is lower than ours here in New Hanover County. I guess that means we're all paying, so Dare County can keep it's taxes low.
And property values are expodentially greater. But the excise tax or "stamps" I refered to is a state tax so everyone pays the same-$1 for every $500 of purchase price.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:30 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Dare Co. is already giving the state $45,000,000 a year. Don't you think the state could give a little back?
they do. Are you suggesting the state doesn't spend anything on Dare county?

Quote:
And property values are expodentially greater.
right. so what? Are you suggesting that people who own expensive property are entitled to lower tax rates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina