U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,088 times
Talking Questions about Wilmington

My boyfriend and I have lived in Orlando, FL for most of our lives and we're in need of a change. We've been looking at houses in wilmington, and have found a few that are in our price range. But after reading some of the entries about the crime problems, im not so sure i want to move there (i'm trying to get out of orlando for the crime problems). Is Wilmington really that bad? If i were to go up there to visit and check everything out, where would be places to stay away from and where should i stay? I've seen tons of pictures of the place, and i think its a beautiful city but i dont want to go there if its just out of control with crime and such. How are the areas outside of wilmington?

If anyone could give me some information i would be very grateful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 04:35 PM

3,093 posts, read 6,149,990 times
Why is crime so high in New Bern and Wilmington??

Check this thread. It explains it better.

Also this one:
What about Wilmington?!
Wilmington - Where to Live?

That should explain the where to live part...

Any other questions, I'll be glad to help. Liz

Old 08-16-2007, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,088 times
Thanks a bunch! Can you please send me that url you were talking about with all the zip codes and what not?!

Old 08-16-2007, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,407 times
Default Wilmington is nice.

Wilmington has some areas that are horrible. Probably not on the scale of Orlando as it is smaller. There are some areas of town that are great. I live in the Monkey Junction area and I have to say I like it here. How long have you been considering the move? Are you looking at buying a home or renting? The only reason I ask is I am a real estate broker and I would be happy to help.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:27 PM

Check your PM box. Liz

Old 08-16-2007, 08:17 PM

16 posts, read 48,644 times
Default Love Wilmington area

Nadia,

I have lived most of my life in a semi-rural area in IL not far from Chicago. I happen to love the beach and I just love the Wilmington area. I have arrived and I love it here and the people and atmostphere and choices here are fantastic. Not too big, not too small, the ocean, the mild temperatures, a fantastic university, UNCW, and highly recommend you check it out. I live north of Wilmington in Pender County, just across the county line and it is a very safe area and no problems. Keep that it mind when checking out the area. There are many really nice areas but I enjoy the laid back area we live in just outside of Wilmington and New Hanover County. We are in Pender County by about a mile.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:07 PM

8,575 posts, read 1,844,182 times
crime here is not bad at all. this is the second post I have replied in where I had to write about crime. the biggest crime problems happen within the city's government(with taxes) and with the local law enforcement. houses here aren't very cheap at all. probably cheaper than orlando, but given the amount of money the jobs pay here, the houses aren't cheap. there are no surrounding areas of wilmington. it's pretty much wilmington and that's it. unless you want to move across the bridge into brunswick county and live in a double wide.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
unless you want to move across the bridge into brunswick county and live in a double wide.
There are some very NICE areas in Brunswick County, esp near Leland and that gives a false impression.

Here are just some of the subdivisions going up on the stretch of hwy 17 just off 74/76, all within about a 1 1/2 mile section of the road.

Magnolia Greens
Waterford of the Carolinas
Brunswick Forest (these start at $350,000 and go up). Liz

Last edited by southernlady5464; 10-12-2007 at 05:05 PM..

Old 10-12-2007, 07:03 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,623,729 times
Southernlady-I have missed you!
Great plug for Brunswick Co

Old 10-13-2007, 07:06 PM

700 posts, read 1,942,648 times
This is just a suggestion but if I were you,I'd look into other areas of Florida such as Brevard county(especially Viera)before moving to Wilmington.You are getting ready to make the same mistake we did.We were just looking to get out of Orlando and closer to family.We love the beach,so we went all up and down the east coast and decided on Wilmington.Believe me when I say the crime here is way too high for the size and so is the cost of living.Viera as well as many other parts of Florida is much more desirable with a whole lot more to do.We wish we had looked into them before we moved.After four years here,we still have not adjusted and are wanting to move back to Florida,but the challenge is going to be selling our home here with the market the way it is now.If you are determined to come to North Carolina,I'd suggest you look into other areas such as the Raleigh Durham area where you get paid decent wages and there's much better shopping and dining,etc.The wages are very low in Wilmington,but the cost of living is very high and there's not that much to do-especially during the winter.I'm not saying these things just because we want to move back to Florida.I was raised in North Carolina and lived in or around the Winston-Salem area until transferring with my job to Orlando in 1988.We lived there for fifteen years and have been here as I said for four,so I feel like I know from experience what I'm talking about.It might work out better for you.....I don't know-I'm just suggesting you check out all your options very well before making a move you might regret like we have.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina