U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:27 PM

700 posts, read 1,439,028 times

Advertisements

500,000 since 1986. Good job!!! See that one out of a thousand survive to be breeding adults. So, simple math....

500,000 divided by 25 years=20,000 per year divided by 12 months=1666 divided by 1000=1.6 turtles per month surviving.

Now, that 1.6 turtle has to waiting for 30 years to mate. This 1.6 turtle will lay about 120 eggs a year.

So we need to wait five more years for this 1.6 turtle to mate and lay 120 eggs. Now, let's not forget 1664.44 turtles gave their lives for 1.6.

Your comment: "Now seriously, which makes more common sense? Shutting down the whole freaking flounder season to save 5, 10 or maybe 20 sea turtles or start a farm and raise 500,000?"

Mine: "Now seriously, which makes more common sense? Shutting down the whole freaking flounder season to save 5, 10 or maybe 20 sea turtles or start a farm and raise 500,000?" Pay a little more for your fish plate!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:10 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,363,611 times
Agenda driven people only look at their desired end result. Not facts. I watch and giggle at the ones posting here that put man second as they expound on things they have no experience or true knowledge on.

For example-How many of you have read the turtle lawsuit through?
How many of you know all the parties involved in the lawsuit, whether listed or not and what their involvement is?
How many of you know anything of or even read the ESA?
Ever worked a gill net? Know how one operates? (If you knew that last one you'd understand by-catch)
How many of you truly understand what "interaction" means.

On fish farms:
Health hazards-Do you know what the health hazards are?
Do you have a clue of the hazards to the species is?
Do you know the diference between raising for food and raising for stock and the unique differences of both?

No you don't know. Well, not unless you read it at a web site or some agenda driven publication.
The more some post the more their agenda shows and the more they prove that facts mean nothing in their world.
Oh year of Watergate and the Great Wazoo-Please enlighten us with your insights

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 09-07-2011 at 05:21 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 05:33 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,117,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Agenda driven people only look at their desired end result. Not facts. I watch and giggle at the ones posting here that put man second as they expound on things they have no experience or true knowledge on.

No you don't know. Well, not unless you read it at a web site or some agenda driven publication.

The more some post the more their agenda shows and the more they prove that facts mean nothing in their world.
wow, that was one long-winded ad-hominem attack. i reckon we hit a nerve with the beach real estate agents.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:44 AM

572 posts, read 1,410,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
500,000 since 1986. Good job!!! See that one out of a thousand survive to be breeding adults. So, simple math....

500,000 divided by 25 years=20,000 per year divided by 12 months=1666 divided by 1000=1.6 turtles per month surviving.

Now, that 1.6 turtle has to waiting for 30 years to mate. This 1.6 turtle will lay about 120 eggs a year.

So we need to wait five more years for this 1.6 turtle to mate and lay 120 eggs. Now, let's not forget 1664.44 turtles gave their lives for 1.6.

Your comment: "Now seriously, which makes more common sense? Shutting down the whole freaking flounder season to save 5, 10 or maybe 20 sea turtles or start a farm and raise 500,000?"

Mine: "Now seriously, which makes more common sense? Shutting down the whole freaking flounder season to save 5, 10 or maybe 20 sea turtles or start a farm and raise 500,000?" Pay a little more for your fish plate!!!
Ok, a lil common sense. Yea I don't doubt that only 1 in 1000 sea turtles survive to become breeding adults......in nature. Of course using normal math the Sri Lanka turtle farm has successfully increased the adult breeding sea turtle population by 500. (500,000 divided by 1,000)

Ahh but common sense (and a lil research) tells me that the vast majority of sea turtles die right after they are hatched. They get eaten by sea gulls and fish. So if they are harvested and hatched in a controlled environment then (using that dreaded common sense) OBVIOUSLY the survival rate increases tremendously. Maybe it's 1 in 100 that survive or maybe it's 1 in 50. That would mean that a single turtle farm might produce 5,000 or even 10,000 adult breeding sea turtles over 25 years.

But I would think that you would be thrilled with even just 500. After all isn't the idea to save and preserve sea turtles? Or are you happy to make me pay more for a plate of fish with no regard for the turtle population at all?

Reading your response makes me think it's the ladder.

Last edited by Time2Travel; 09-07-2011 at 11:13 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
wow, that was one long-winded ad-hominem attack. i reckon we hit a nerve with the beach real estate agents.
or investors

Old 09-07-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
or investors
Well there you go. Wealth envy is a powerful motivator. It definately explains why you threw the turtle farm idea under the bus.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Default Few facts here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Ok, a lil common sense. Yea I don't doubt that only 1 in 1000 sea turtles survive to become breeding adults......in nature. Of course using normal math the Sri Lanka turtle farm has successfully increased the adult breeding sea turtle population by 500. (500,000 divided by 1,000
The website that you refered to stated that "Regarding this we started to save Sea Turtles in 1986 and up to now we have succeeded to attain the goal gradually." Please note the word in bold. Also note that the breeding age of an adult turtle is 30 years.

Ahh but common sense (and a lil research) tells me that the vast majority of sea turtles die right after they are hatched. They get eaten by sea gulls and fish. So if they are harvested and hatched in a controlled environment then (using that dreaded common sense) OBVIOUSLY the survival rate increases tremendously. Maybe it's 1 in 100 that survive or maybe it's 1 in 50. That would mean that a single turtle farm might produce 5,000 or even 10,000 adult breeding sea turtles over 25 years. Please note two items from their website. 1st. The pictures of the turtles being released. Looks to me they may be saving a percentage of those making it to the water. 2nd. Read their section on "OUR PROJECT" They have released more than 500,000. But note that they do not raise these to breeding stock. They depend on mother nature letting the turtles survive to the breeding age. That is 30 years old. So common sense tells me that no turtle hatched and released by them has breed yet. The only thing they have done is saved a few from the gulls and dinner plates. So they are living of the breeding of older turtles nature has raised.

But I would think that you would be thrilled with even just 500. After all isn't the idea to save and preserve sea turtles? Or are you happy to make me pay more for a plate of fish with no regard for the turtle population at all?
I would be thrilled if this had any weight. It does not. But for the shake of things. Turtle eggs go for around $100 to $300 america dollars. Your flounder around 10.95 per pound if ordered fresh on line or you can go to Red Lobster and get a plate for around $12.50

Reading your response makes me think it's the ladder.

Go to Red Lobster.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Well there you go. Wealth envy is a powerful motivator. It definately explains why you threw the turtle farm idea under the bus.
The turtle farm would not work. They still have to go back in the ocean!!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
The turtle farm would not work. They still have to go back in the ocean!!!!
So those turtle advocates in Sri Lanka are just wasting time huh? And yea the general idea is to harvest the eggs, let them hatch in the safety of captivity and then..........wait for it......

RELEASE THEM INTO THE OCEAN.

I realize I'm not going to change your mind and that's fine because I don't think saving a turtle is on your agenda. I don't eat at Red Lobster by the way because I don't eat processed, frozen seafood and I rarely eat flounder. My fish of choice is dolphin and I either buy it fresh off the boat at Motts Channel seafood at Wrightsville Beach or I catch them myself. Nothing better than skillet blackened dolphin with a little lemon juice and luckily for me nobody has attempted to ban dolphin fishing yet.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
So those turtle advocates in Sri Lanka are just wasting time huh? And yea the general idea is to harvest the eggs, let them hatch in the safety of captivity and then..........wait for it......

RELEASE THEM INTO THE OCEAN.

I realize I'm not going to change your mind and that's fine because I don't think saving a turtle is on your agenda. I don't eat at Red Lobster by the way because I don't eat processed, frozen seafood and I rarely eat flounder. My fish of choice is dolphin and I either buy it fresh off the boat at Motts Channel seafood at Wrightsville Beach or I catch them myself. Nothing better than skillet blackened dolphin with a little lemon juice and luckily for me nobody has attempted to ban dolphin fishing yet.
Never said they were wasting their time. Although their efforts are helping only those turtles in that small area. The point of the restriction (as it affects the flounder fishing) is to let the turtle move freely during their normal migration. So, one can say.........waiting...... waiting.. if you put the turtles back in the ocean and do not enforce the reg as far as the migration. Those turtles you saved from the gulls and from being eaten by man. Is a waste of time. Because they just die in the nets.

As far as eating dolphin. That is fine. It too was at the point of over fishing and they placed catch limits on it. So, enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina