U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,654,045 times

Advertisements

Hate hate hate those mosquitos! They are out of control! I have noticed an outbreak of fireants as well! UGH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:36 PM

28 posts, read 47,873 times
Thanks for posting this. I was just down this past weekend looking at houses for sale. I was in Belhaven, Oriental, and Merrit. They were so bad, my wife would not get out of the car. our legs were bleeding after looking for 5 minutes outside. The realtor said it was from Irene. My wife is not buying it. I have to bring her back down when they are gone to show her. We were down in the spring, and there was nothing. At least i can show her your post. Thanks again

Old 09-14-2011, 01:16 PM

844 posts, read 2,679,063 times
Are the mosquito's bad all over NC, or just selected areas?

Thank you

Old 09-14-2011, 02:54 PM

638 posts, read 1,412,280 times
Marc,

We've been relatively mosquito free here in G'ville all summer up until after the hurricane went thru. I don't even remember complaining as far back as the last several summers. The only other time I remember them this bad was after Hurricane Floyd flooded the Tar.

So, no, normally this isn't "normal".

Old 09-14-2011, 02:55 PM

274 posts, read 509,929 times
Looking for something else today and learned that mums specifically the African Daisy type is a natural mosquito repellent. So buy some to decorate and run off the mosquito at the same time. The oil from the daisy is squeezed out and sold as insecticide.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 AM

166 posts, read 265,499 times
There is another product made by St. Gabriel's labs that has clove and garlic oils which has worked pretty well for me in the Triangle area. Its called Mosquito Repellant....easy enough to remember.
I heard of it via transcripts of a radio talk show called Garden Guru.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:37 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
The phone number for Pitt Co Environmental Health is 902-3200 (press 5 for mosquito control) You have to leave your address and phone number on an answer machine.

But they will only come out and set a trap to see what kind of mosquitos you have. As far as doing anything about it, I don't know. Hopefully, if enough people call in maybe they'll spray the area. My kids (all of us) are getting eaten up with huge welps.

It seems basic prevention would be to automatically spray the area a week after a hurricane passes when they begin to hatch out. We would sure like to see our tax dollars spent on this.
A new "mosquito hotline" has been set up for Pitt County.

Pitt County Set Up Mosquito Hotline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina