U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 AM

638 posts, read 1,413,510 times

Advertisements

We've been relatively mosquito free all summer until yesterday. They are swarming the screens on our back porch and the deck is unliveable. Just opening the screen door lets hundreds in. I've looked for any sitting water and can't find any. I'm wondering if it's just us, or are others noticing it.

Do you think they're breeding in the ditches from the past rainfall? And if it's not just us, i wonder if they'll implement a mosquito spraying. Last time we needed it after a hurricane they waited a month before doing it. Who could I call?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:39 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,364,654 times
It's the after effects of Irene. Heavy rains will hatch mosquitoes and fire ants and bugs of all kinds.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:39 AM

I've noticed a lot of exotic strange bugs I've never seen before also. And the fire ants really packed a wallop in their sting lately. Several super sized praying mantis, flying ants and large "water" bugs showing up..

But the mosquitos are the worst. Deep Woods Off doesn't even seem to deter them from biting.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:23 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,118,617 times
yup, i've seen a sharp increase in mosquitos, and i've seen several mantises as well.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:32 PM

700 posts, read 1,439,395 times
I released 500,000 bats today. Sad to say only 1.6 survived and will only eat 600 per night. Maybe we can open a bat farm!!

Old 09-06-2011, 05:33 PM

700 posts, read 1,439,395 times
Default Bat Farm

Old 09-07-2011, 06:22 AM

5,372 posts, read 9,885,796 times
Those pesky mosquitoes--just add water and they appear--and boy, are they hungry.

But I shall not complain (too much) as we've had a long, bug-free summer and hopefully, some crisp weather will put them back where they belong--absent.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,051,534 times
I was outside for 2 minutes this morning right before dawn. One of them got me on the arm. Since moving here 5 years ago it's been petty rare to even see a mosquito, let alone be bit by one.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:47 PM

Default Pitt Co Mosquito control

The phone number for Pitt Co Environmental Health is 902-3200 (press 5 for mosquito control) You have to leave your address and phone number on an answer machine.

But they will only come out and set a trap to see what kind of mosquitos you have. As far as doing anything about it, I don't know. Hopefully, if enough people call in maybe they'll spray the area. My kids (all of us) are getting eaten up with huge welps.

It seems basic prevention would be to automatically spray the area a week after a hurricane passes when they begin to hatch out. We would sure like to see our tax dollars spent on this.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 AM

14 posts, read 48,236 times
Here are a few ideas.

Mosquito Barrier - garlic scented, repels mosquitoes. Spray around yoru perimeter, bushes, shrubs, plants, etc. Works fairly decent in our area. Follow the directions, mix with water, will probably last more in the 10 day range. Use a mister if you have one, otherwise put it in a pump sprayer and make it as fine of a mist as you can. also works pretty well on fire ants - follow directions.

Pyrethrin or Bifinethrin - can find online as a pesticide. Cover up if you are using this. Again, best in a mister, but can use in a pump sprayer. This is an attractant where the above is a repellant. The attractant should be sprayed on the shrubs, trees, non-edible plants shady side of house, etc. This basically poisons the mosquitoes when they eat the leaves.

On either, best to spray before dusk, when they will be just starting to be more active.

And of course, get rid of any standing water - pet bowls, kiddie pools, koi ponds, rain in old tires, etc.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina