Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 12:59 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,289 times

Advertisements

I am writing a series of articles about flooding and flood potential for the Examiner. It's good hardcore info everyone needs to know. Post up questions and comments-Let me know what your concerns/questions are so I'll be able to address them in upcoming publications.

Does This Property Flood? - Raleigh Real Estate Headlines | Examiner.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 01:21 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Any property for which the answer to the Q "does it flood" is yes...
should be in a recognized flood plain.

The term "does" throws a whole lot more on the fire than "would"...
or "has it ever". Ya know?

Last edited by MrRational; 08-31-2011 at 02:03 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 01:26 PM

All that you post about is addressed in the article.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:04 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
All that you post about is addressed in the article.
Inflammatory and overstating headlines bug me.
A good copy editor would catch them.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Inflammatory and overstating headlines bug me
Please explain to all of us how the simple question "Does This Property Flood?" Inflame and overstate?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:23 AM

20 posts, read 48,610 times
Default Our search for high ground

Bill - I read your article with interest. After a long search of the entire 175 mile length of the Outer Banks we zeroed in on Carteret County for retirement. As an engineer my first priority was to determine where the high ground was located. I was surprised to find that many real estate agents seemed to discount my focus on avoiding flooding with words like “that’s what flood insurance is for.” After careful study of flood maps we narrowed our search to Atlantic, SeaGate, and Harkers Island. Atlantic (Hunting Quarters) likely has the highest ground in Carteret County (those old seafarers knew where to build) and SeaGate along the ICW has sections of high ground most likely the result of digging the canal. We eventually settled on Harkers Island for several reasons including lots of high ground (some 16’ above sea-level) and with ocean inlets near both ends, the belief that storm surge knocked down by the ‘banks’ would most likely flow around Harkers rather than over-wash the island. Now that we live here part-time, some of the old timers we have met seem to confirm that our logic wasn’t too far off. A question for you; with the exception of the barriers islands, the further inland you go it seems the greater the risk of flooding (from all sources) yet the cost of insurance seems to follow an opposite pattern. Do we who live near the coast pay a disproportionate share based on actual risk?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:29 AM

Unbeknown to most folks, funding for the National Flood Insurance Program is getting ready to expire at the end of the month. Temporary lapses and extensions have happened too many times for me to remember over the past few years.

Fate of Flood-Insurance Program Still Murky - WSJ.com

Flood Insurance Bill Moves in Senate

All areas are flood prone. Coastal, Piedmont, Mountains-All areas. We along the coast have special flood zone areas that have higher risks. Not all coastal areas-Just some. Depending exactly where you live will determine someone's rate. For example-My rate is different than my neighbor two houses down because I have a different elevation/zone. So the short answer is yes-Coastal residents pay higher flood insurance rates because we live in a high risk area.
But I got to add-The coast isn't the only location in risk of flooding due to a storm. In 2004 Hurricanes Frances and Ivan brought 12-23 inches of water to the mountains creating massive flooding and landslides but leavinng coastal NC alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina