U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:21 PM

20 posts, read 41,413 times

Advertisements

I appreciate Time2Travel’s input. As an avid off-shore fisherman I have transited numerous ocean inlets with jetties on both sides. I would agree from a boater’s perspective these inlets are marvelously successful. My previously home inlet [Rudee at Virginia Beach] could not exist without jetties.

I have followed this forum for over 3-years and it contributed greatly to the selection of our retirement location. I normally don’t post on forums, for reasons that will become obvious shortly, but I created an account when someone asked about Hurricane Irene damage on Harkers Island and I had information to share.

As an engineer I trust some on the forum may consider me qualified to comment on the “engineering of spiffy things.” But first, applying labels such as "Green Guerillas" and suggestions of “non-believer” seems most inappropriate. As a research scientist, design engineer, Christian & fiscal conservative I take issue with politicians spending tax dollars to close an inlet that god created to get reelected without considering the long term consequences. The science of engineering suggests it is lunacy to perform the same experiment over and over again and yet to expect a different result.

I will go out on a limb and suggest that no one on the forum is advocating that Hatteras Island be condemned, the houses bulldozed, and returned to nature; how ridiculous! While I advocated no personal position on this topic, I did provide a reference document that is worthy of consideration – Past, Present and Future Inlets of the Outer Banks Barrier Islands, North Carolina by East Carolina University. After an extensive scientific study (paid for with tax dollars) the authors provide historical data, new high-technology measurement, shoreline dynamic analysis and thoughtful engineering based proposals to best meet both environmental and human objectives. It’s too bad that extremist’s on both sides continue to advocate their biased self-serving objectives that cater more to influencing politicians than serving mankind; including the residents of Hatteras.

Last edited by Islandjoy; 09-12-2011 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,632,373 times
sure there are extremes on both sides.
I for one happen to think that
a poster feeling the urge to preach a little religion to us whom he does
not agree with, that's major cuckoo.

Bill , if you lived in tornado alley and your house had been run
over by a tornado several times, would you build in the
excact same spot or would you maybe bend a little and move
out of natures way? or would you stand in the middle of the tornado thumping your bible?

I think you are blending two different post and taking your frustration about
the turles over into this thread.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:40 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,355,449 times
Quote:
I will go out on a limb and suggest that no one on the forum is advocating that Hatteras Island be condemned,
Yes they are. Since72 said:
Quote:
What I said was it is a tragic waste of money. Let's rebuild the road again, again, again. As for the property owners. You choose where you live good and bad. Yes there are residents that live year round on the island. Make them an offer. Have the ferry ports for those villages. Forget the bride. If your home is lost due to a storm. Ok you are done. Take your insurance money and go. No-rebuilds. Let nature have it's way.
That by definition is condemning the island.

Quote:
....the authors provide historical data, new high-technology measurement, shoreline dynamic analysis and thoughtful engineering based proposals to best meet both environmental and human objectives.
That’s the point I was making when I said “Man has engineered some pretty spiffy things. But usually after a process of try, fail and adjust. OBX will be no different.” Did I say anything about an inlet? No-You did. But this I will gaurantee you. OBX will rebuild, will survive and will thrive. It always has and always will.

Movedtothecoast-How many hurricanes, northeaster’s, gales and floods have you gone through since you moved here to the coast? More than one? If so then applying your logic you should have moved away by now. If been less than two storms-Are you going to move away when the inevitable happens?

By the way-have you noticed the one who puts turtles before man also wants nature have it’s way on OBX happens to also call man a pest.
"Green Guerillas"

Old 09-12-2011, 09:14 PM

572 posts, read 1,407,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
sure there are extremes on both sides.
I for one happen to think that
a poster feeling the urge to preach a little religion to us whom he does
not agree with, that's major cuckoo.

Bill , if you lived in tornado alley and your house had been run
over by a tornado several times, would you build in the
excact same spot or would you maybe bend a little and move
out of natures way? or would you stand in the middle of the tornado thumping your bible?

I think you are blending two different post and taking your frustration about
the turles over into this thread.
Rebuilding a small section of highway that has existed for decades is not extreme. Neither is net fishing for flounder for a few months of the year, especially if you make a reasonable effort to not harm other wildlife.

I don't know if you ever spend any time in Brunswick County but if you do, swing by Boiling Spring Lakes sometime and ask the locals about the woodpecker problem. There are hundreds of lots there that can't be built on because woodpeckers inhabit them. It's absolutely ridiculous. The turtle issue is similar. It's reasonable to ask fishermen to make concessions and adapt to help protect turtles. Using a lawsuit to shut them down completely is extreme. If I sued the Beasely Turtle Hospital for holding an endangered species captive (which is against the law as far as I can tell) wouldn't you consider that extreme?

Oh and Bible thumping beats turtle thumping any day of the week.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:31 AM

700 posts, read 1,436,076 times
Island joy thanks for your comments. I will have to agree with Bill I did say those things he posted. Which I never have never backed down from. But, the point of saying condemned. Not true. Just you could twist this or that way. I did say that you would be bought out, if your home was destroyed and it would not be rebuilt. Never did I say bulldoze the area.

Fact is Bill is pro bridge. Let's anchor something to the mainland. Let's make it easier for more people to access. With that of course increase homes and land values. Now, that would benefit the coastal market. The fact is Ferries would be more flexible and adjustable. You can move them to safer areas in times of storms. Cannot move a bridge. If the highway gets washed out. It gets washed out. All you have is the village to maintain. So with the ferry system supporting each small village. The road would not be critical.

Guess we build a bridge it gets damaged or destroyed we can throw money at it.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:56 AM

My first hurricane experience was with Hugo plowing
thru Charlotte, next we experienced all the hurricanes of the 90's and on
here in Wilmington. I have a pretty good feel for what it is to live thru a hurricane and
believe me, we are enjoying the coast as safely from
nature's fury as we can. A bit inland.

I don't at all see a problem with not being allowed to build where
woodpeckers peck , lots of land in Boiling Springs area , why build
where one of God's creatures fight to survive.

There is an island south of here, where builders/developers saw fit to
clear lots of anything living to build enormous fourplexes,
they all sit empty. I mean many , many empty houses.
Hopefully nature will sprout back and cover them up.

I am old enough to understand that man will control and overrun earth,
I am also old enough to have seen how man's greed can ruin earth.

As far as that darn bridge goes, my point was to perhaps rethink
how we get to the outer banks, not to ban people from going there.

the whole fishing issue was another thread.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,586,358 times
Mod note

Lets keep topic about Hwy 12
Turtle discussion belongs in other thread

All the best

Sunny
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 09-13-2011, 08:26 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,355,449 times
Quote:
Fact is Bill is pro bridge.
Please point out where I have said that because I haven't. Never once have I supported or denounced a bridge, a ferry system-Nothing.

The only thing I have addressed is your issue with OBX and it rebuilding. You are against it. I am for the recovery of the island and it's people. You call man a pest. You said you wanted OBX to return to "nature".

Sure wish we could stick to the facts. But some can't because they know they can't win with facts. Oh they'll acuse, vilify, marginalize,demean and use a wide range of Alinsky tactics. But what they will avoid are cold hard facts such as were mentioned at the beginning of this topic. OBX can afford to rebuild because it produces money for the local, state and Federal government. Remember-Last year alone $85 Million was raised in local and state taxes from tourism on OBX.
That's just tax revenue. Economics is not the isssue. So what exactly is the issue?

Where is your compassion for your fellow man. The residents of the Outer Banks are hurting. They are in dire straits. They need help. And all you want to do is shut them down and shut them out.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 AM

572 posts, read 1,407,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
My first hurricane experience was with Hugo plowing
thru Charlotte, next we experienced all the hurricanes of the 90's and on
here in Wilmington. I have a pretty good feel for what it is to live thru a hurricane and
believe me, we are enjoying the coast as safely from
nature's fury as we can. A bit inland.

I don't at all see a problem with not being allowed to build where
woodpeckers peck , lots of land in Boiling Springs area , why build
where one of God's creatures fight to survive.

There is an island south of here, where builders/developers saw fit to
clear lots of anything living to build enormous fourplexes,
they all sit empty. I mean many , many empty houses.
Hopefully nature will sprout back and cover them up.

I am old enough to understand that man will control and overrun earth,
I am also old enough to have seen how man's greed can ruin earth.

As far as that darn bridge goes, my point was to perhaps rethink
how we get to the outer banks, not to ban people from going there.

the whole fishing issue was another thread.
Woodpeckers have wings. They are perfectly capable of moving from one tree to another. They wouldn't go extinct if the entire Boiling Spring Lakes area were destroyed by a wildfire because they would MOVE.

You don't care because you don't own land there. Better that it happens to your neighbor rather than you. But the instant the red bellied salamander is discovered in a tree in your back yard and the state tells you to pack up and leave, your home be damned, then you'll see how silly it all is.

Your concerms for Highway 12 would be valid in a discussion before it was built. It exists now and so do a lot of people that depend on it so it's only LOGICAL to repair it when it gets damaged.

Of course you could sue the department of transportation in an attempt to get them to stop.

Now, I will graciously exit this discussion. The highway is getting rebuilt. Common sense prevailed.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 AM

see , you win.
this is but a spirited discussion about rebuilding the bridge,
reading all the post in this thread it's pretty clear who can and cannot
stay on topic/ name calling .
nobody is trying to shut down and shut out the good people living on the outerbanks,
I am just trying to suggest a new way of looking at things.

people will still be able to reach the islands of the outer banks.

go to any town usa and you will find people in dire straits, hurting, needing help.

Wilmington area has fishermen hurting because there are no money being spent
on dredging ICW , lot's of money produced around here for the local,state and federal
government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina