U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 716 times

Advertisements

I was only 8 months into a year long lease when I found a house that I wanted to buy. I have purchased the house and gave the landlord 30 days notice . They gave me the move out paperwork for cleaning and I have done all of the cleaning and the house looks great, but now they are telling me that I will have to continue to pay rent on the place until they can re-rent it. Is this true, what can I do. Pleas advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 PM

700 posts, read 1,437,492 times
Sorry it is a lease. You could ask if someone could pick up the lease. You just would continue to pay till someone else signed a new lease.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:33 AM

5,877 posts, read 8,854,030 times
Yeah, it's true, unfortunately. You could offer to try and find a new tenant for them and advertise it yourself, but technically you're obligated until they re-rent it.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:46 PM

572 posts, read 1,408,725 times
^Agreed with the two posts above. The lease obligates you for 12 months. Hopefully someone else will move in quickly and get you off the hook for the remaining 4 months. But look on the bright side. You're a home owner now and that's great. Congrats.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:03 PM

274 posts, read 509,789 times
In my personal experience with a mortgage the first payment was not due for at least 45 days. We always felt like we got a gift of the first month off. This may help when you make the additional rent payments. Even if the property owner finds someone to take your place I believe they can still make you pay out the terms of your lease. Find out from your CPA if you can use that as a deduction with other moving expenses.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:32 PM

700 posts, read 1,437,492 times
I always used that 45 days as a get ahead one at least.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:04 PM

274 posts, read 509,789 times
That is a smart way to do things, but in the OP situation doing both could be a stretch.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 PM

291 posts, read 671,890 times
Double check NC lease law, but I am pretty sure you can exit and they can only keep you on the hook for 60 days. I discussed this with my landlord when I lived in NC, and that was what he told me. Look in your lease or pull up a generic nc lease. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:26 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,358,872 times
Quote:
Look in your lease
Best advice yet. What are the terms and conditions as spelled out in your lease?
Usually a lease obligates the lessee to a total amount. The total amount is spread out onto monthly payments for convenience. Our mind set is monthly payments for the month we occupy when in reality it is the sum total we are obligated to.
Leases usually have some type of "out" clause too. For example-Military getting shipped out-That's an out clause that is common in my area.
But the primary thing is to check what the terms and conditions are as spelled out in the written (I hope its written) agreement.
If you do not have a written agreement then the terms and conditions aren't enforceable.
Have you spoken with your laandlord about this? Did you give your landlord advance notice that you would be moving to them a chance to find a new tenant before you left? Or did you basically turn in your keys and say you were leaving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina