U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:50 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,653,190 times

Advertisements

Nothing could be done. The people that live there are "old school" and DO NOT want change. Welcome to eastern NC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 07:36 PM

274 posts, read 509,789 times
There plenty that can be done, and I agree with soulpatch, I am an owner of 1 business partner in 2 others, between them I employ 20. I support the businesses that are rooted in my community, and the farmers as well. I am willing to pay extra if necessary to support my neighbor's business. I do not enter Walmart for any reason. If the locally owned business does not have what I need, I try to at least keep my money within the state. Where there is a will, a mind with imagination, you are never done, I keep reinventing myself, each time I create a few jobs. Many more are capable if the same, get busy.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 PM

144 posts, read 452,943 times
Default Well stated

Right on, brother...or sister.

It may be often thought of as a cliche but the ol' "think globally, act locally" is my guideline.
I don't intrude, I just try to affect by my actions.
It's a ripple effect.

My friends that moved from SoCal 5 years or so ago to Wilmington seem to do fine in the local economy, even though they struggle with the rest of us, by working in the local economy.

My oldest daughter in Charleston purchases from CSA's, bakes for her friends and buys from thrift stores.... these are businesses owned by long time locals.
All while she works her rear off at University.

If we become more dependent on each other as neighbors then we will also become more reliant to each other as neighbors.

A bit Pollyanna-ish? No doubt. But, having lived a life mitigating others' misery I will pursue it because taking care of each other is important.

Screw those mega-corporations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
There plenty that can be done, and I agree with soulpatch, I am an owner of 1 business partner in 2 others, between them I employ 20. I support the businesses that are rooted in my community, and the farmers as well. I am willing to pay extra if necessary to support my neighbor's business. I do not enter Walmart for any reason. If the locally owned business does not have what I need, I try to at least keep my money within the state. Where there is a will, a mind with imagination, you are never done, I keep reinventing myself, each time I create a few jobs. Many more are capable if the same, get busy.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:02 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,358,872 times
Two breaths of fresh air! Soulpatch & oldraider!
Soulpatch-You're gonna fit in just fine where ever you decide to live in eastern NC. "think globally, act locally", supporting local business-buying fresh locally seafood rather than the wally world stuff-That's ENC thinking & living.
oldraider said:
Quote:
I am willing to pay extra if necessary to support my neighbor's business. I do not enter Walmart for any reason. If the locally owned business does not have what I need, I try to at least keep my money within the state.
Bravo!

Old 09-17-2011, 07:42 AM

Soulpatch, in your search also look at the northeastern part of the state. There are many small communities that would have acreage for a good price in those areas. For the most part they are within 45 miles of a larger city. In the area I am most thinking of people from the city have second homes to come to this place for recreation. The people in the community are of the mindset they want to live in a beautiful place spread out, and drive to the city, if they have a need.

I will get heat for suggesting, but I would like for you to still look at it. The town of Scotland Neck is the one I am talking about. It is small but interesting. Look at Sylvan Heights website. The Roanoke River runs through the edge of town. And the Roanoke from what I read recently is one of only 5 rivers in the world that still has its brown ecosystem still in tact.

There are people in the town that are working to bring it back to its glory, and there really are people from Raleigh that have second homes there, on the river and other places. The public schools are nothing to get excited about, but there is a small private school there for all races that is strong in the community.
From what I read I believe you have something to contribute to this place are any of the others like it in North Carolina.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:31 AM

144 posts, read 452,943 times
Default Not an attempt to hijack this thread..

But thanks for the suggestions. I will check all this out.
We just want to raise our young twins safely and meaningfully. We are over the "squashed-ness" of SoCal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
Soulpatch, in your search also look at the northeastern part of the state. There are many small communities that would have acreage for a good price in those areas. For the most part they are within 45 miles of a larger city. In the area I am most thinking of people from the city have second homes to come to this place for recreation. The people in the community are of the mindset they want to live in a beautiful place spread out, and drive to the city, if they have a need.

I will get heat for suggesting, but I would like for you to still look at it. The town of Scotland Neck is the one I am talking about. It is small but interesting. Look at Sylvan Heights website. The Roanoke River runs through the edge of town. And the Roanoke from what I read recently is one of only 5 rivers in the world that still has its brown ecosystem still in tact.

There are people in the town that are working to bring it back to its glory, and there really are people from Raleigh that have second homes there, on the river and other places. The public schools are nothing to get excited about, but there is a small private school there for all races that is strong in the community.
From what I read I believe you have something to contribute to this place are any of the others like it in North Carolina.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:50 PM

Soulpatch, one of the best sources of information about the state is Our State Magazine, you can read it at ourstate.com, it sometimes can be a bit sweet but it does give you a lot of information. I have not been on their website, I read the magazine itself, but I would think you can search any place you are looking at in their history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina