U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:18 PM

219 posts, read 788,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solsticeb_621 View Post
Silly question, I know, but I am planning a trip for sometime this fall to the NC coast and would like to still plan it when we can visit the beach for a day or two. What do you think? Late Sept? October? even later?
Thank you!!!
Sol,
How about year round?
Nah, only kidding.
But, I do love walking the beach even in December and January. Just love the ocean.
Me...........I love SC beach area (Little River) in late July and August because the water temp is in the 80's. Heaven.
Judy and I have been to that area in November and we walked the beach in shorts etc.
We have been there the second week of September and I did hit the ocean but the water was freezing (70's). I'm a baby.
I don't know about water temp in November but it was really nice.
I'm prejudice...............love the area any temp any time.
Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 07:27 PM

90 posts, read 310,977 times
I agree with everyone who says Sept, it is beautiful that time of the year. The beaches are less crowded the stores are still open and the RATES ARE SOOOO MUCH LOWER for a weekly rental. You can get right on the ocean for the same price you would have payed for a smaller house off the ocean a couple weeks earlier. Oct can be very nice as well.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:42 PM

167 posts, read 854,916 times
Default How about camping?

We'll be visiting the Outer Banks for a night or two the week of Sept. 15 and we'd love to camp on/very near the beach. Will it be too cold at night? (We're tenting it.) Anyone know of a good place to camp near/on the beach? We'll be heading east from Winston Salem and don't really have a set plan, we just want to check out the coast line. On the way back we'll be heading west towards the Salisbury area so we weren't planning on going as far south as Morehead City but we can easily re-arrange our plans if anyone knows of a really cool place to camp in the southern half of the coast...
Thanks!

Old 09-04-2007, 07:18 PM

If your going to the outer banks, then i would stay at hatteras camp ground. Ithink its concidered on hatteras island. It has tent camping, nice pool and on the ocean. We go and stay there every year. Sept will be beautiful.And you can take the ferrys over to mores head city. Have a great time .

Old 09-06-2007, 05:58 PM

15 posts, read 46,427 times
Default Beach Season

Is there really a bad time to go to the beach? We were in OBX the last week in October and in the South Carolina beaches last October and the weather is excellent!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:15 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,201,358 times
How is it around Christmas time? Is there snow on the beach?

Old 09-08-2007, 02:18 PM

christmas time can be in the upper 60s or sometimes colder. SNOW LOL I HAVEN'T SEEN REAL SNOW SINCE I MOVED OVER 10 YRS AGO FROM NY. We might get a 1 inch or so but its gone by days end. We did get enough snow once or twice to make a snowman, but i used up all the snow in the yard. when i left Long Island i left my snow shovel and haven't needed it since !!!! just sweep it away.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:41 PM

1,810 posts, read 3,279,479 times
Last year, the last day I was in the water was October 20; water temp was around 65 degrees, which is comfortable for me since I'm a hardy northerner. I got back in the water again in the spring, around late April.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:22 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,464 times
A few quick temperature facts about the Crystal Coast
Annual Rainfall in inches 55”
Annual Average Temperature 64
Average Air Temperature-January 45
Average Air Temperature-July 80
Number of Freeze Free Days 332
Direction of Prevailing Winds SW
Average Water Temperature-January 50
Average Water Temperature-July 78

Personal Note: August and September are the warmest months for air and water temperatures. Beach and in-shore temperatures can climb up near 90 degrees.
Most fish kills that you hear of in NC are during this time. When the water temperature rise, the disolved oxygen declines and some species of fish (such as menhadden) have a dificult time breathing and become more susceptible to disease and predation.

Here's a link to the same info for OBX: Outer Banks Weather Averages

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 09-13-2007 at 04:36 AM..

Old 09-13-2007, 06:25 AM

2 posts, read 7,759 times
Default September

September is the best, but before you go to Ocean Isle beach you may want to check this out.

oceanislebeach2007 - Boycott Ocean Isle Beach, NC

oceanislebeach2007 - Boycott Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina