Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2007, 01:53 PM

9 posts, read 134,826 times

Advertisements

I'm curoius to knwo where the cheapest oceanfront areas to live in NC any why? I heard kittyhawk. We want a getawy home and want peace! Also, I heard there are differences between oceanfronts such as oceanfront, outerbanks oceanfront. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 05:30 AM

713 posts, read 3,928,633 times
Smile Here's how to find out your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin11 View Post
I'm curoius to knwo where the cheapest oceanfront areas to live in NC any why? I heard kittyhawk. We want a getawy home and want peace! Also, I heard there are differences between oceanfronts such as oceanfront, outerbanks oceanfront. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!!
You might want to use something like Trulia to research that since it pretty hard for people to have a really good perspective of oceanfront along the whole state. Real estate is very local and the beaches are often different every day.

Here are their screens for Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, Emerald Isle, Topsail (http://www.trulia.com/NC/Topsail_Beach/74444444 - broken link), Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, and Oak Island.

All the areas have people who enjoy living there. In any stretch of beach, you can find oceanfront homes that have different topography. Some areas have high dunes, and there are places with almost no dunes.

You can also get places like North Topsail where homes have been lost.

Your best bet if you are planning on a purchase is to take a quick tour of the areas and see which one you like the best. What I like or someone else likes should be secondary to what you like.

It is a pretty easy trip and a beautiful one if you start at Kitty Hawk, drive down the Banks to Hatteras, catch the ferry to Ocaracoke, then the ferry to Cedar Island, and drive down to Atlantic Beach and down the beach to Emerald Isle. At that point you are only an hour and a half from Wilmington and the really southern beaches.

You could spend four or five days looking at property and come away a much more informed beach consumer. Most places have lower rates in effect right now. The temperatures are cooler, the crowds are gone, and those of us who live on or near the shore are easy to find.

You can also save lots of money in up front costs by buying off the beach. Of course it you are planning on renting, being close the beach helps a lot, but it also drives up your insurance costs.

It you want to learn about the area where I keep my feet cool in the salt water, you can visit my Southern Outer Banks site or my homepage where you can even find recipes that we enjoy on the coast.

Good luck with your search. There is a lot of delicious seafood which you can sample while doing your research. People on the forum can give you names of favorite spots to eat and stay.

If you need other questions answered, give me a call.

-David Sobotta

Last edited by dsobotta; 09-20-2007 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: Left out word

Old 09-20-2007, 07:41 AM

9 posts, read 134,826 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you, I'm checking it out now.... I was planning on driving to NC in October and spending a few days looking. Thanks again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
You might want to use something like Trulia to research that since it pretty hard for people to have a really good perspective of oceanfront along the whole state. Real estate is very local and the beaches are often different every day.

Here are their screens for Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, Emerald Isle, Topsail (http://www.trulia.com/NC/Topsail_Beach/74444444 - broken link), Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, and Oak Island.

All the areas have people who enjoy living there. In any stretch of beach, you can find oceanfront homes that have different topography. Some areas have high dunes, and there are places with almost no dunes.

You can also get places like North Topsail where homes have been lost.

Your best bet if you are planning on a purchase is to take a quick tour of the areas and see which one you like the best. What I like or someone else likes should be secondary to what you like.

It is a pretty easy trip and a beautiful one if you start at Kitty Hawk, drive down the Banks to Hatteras, catch the ferry to Ocaracoke, then the ferry to Cedar Island, and drive down to Atlantic Beach and down the beach to Emerald Isle. At that point you are only an hour and a half from Wilmington and the really southern beaches.

You could spend four or five days looking at property and come away a much more informed beach consumer. Most places have lower rates in effect right now. The temperatures are cooler, the crowds are gone, and those of us who live on or near the shore are easy to find.

You can also save lots of money in up front costs by buying off the beach. Of course it you are planning on renting, being close the beach helps a lot, but it also drives up your insurance costs.

It you want to learn about the area where I keep my feet cool in the salt water, you can visit my Southern Outer Banks site or my homepage where you can even find recipes that we enjoy on the coast.

Good luck with your search. There is a lot of delicious seafood which you can sample while doing your research. People on the forum can give you names of favorite spots to eat and stay.

If you need other questions answered, give me a call.

-David Sobotta

Old 09-25-2007, 12:30 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,537 times
The average sold price for the past three months of a residential property (not condo) in Atlantic Beach is $636K. For Emerald Isle it is $711K. Cross one bridge to Morehead City and the average price is $379 (Behind Atlantic Beach on the Sound) and Cape Carteret $227K (Behind Emerald Isle on the Sound)
Hope this helps!
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina