U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 09:32 PM

13 posts, read 67,266 times

Advertisements

Silly question, I know, but I am planning a trip for sometime this fall to the NC coast and would like to still plan it when we can visit the beach for a day or two. What do you think? Late Sept? October? even later?
Thank you!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 09:43 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsticeb_621 View Post
Silly question, I know, but I am planning a trip for sometime this fall to the NC coast and would like to still plan it when we can visit the beach for a day or two. What do you think? Late Sept? October? even later?
Thank you!!!
I actually think the BEST time to go to the beach is in the winter But if you want to still be able to get into the water you should be able to thru October, though September would be warmer

Old 08-18-2007, 11:13 PM

10 posts, read 32,141 times
the weather is pretty solid through Sept, after which there are certainly good days but it gets shaky. So, that's probably the last month where you should go if you have to plan ahead; if you can make your decision that week, you can wait until mid October. of course, then there are hurricanes...

Old 08-19-2007, 11:57 AM

713 posts, read 3,471,139 times
Smile Come to the beach almost any time

Quote:
Thank you!!!
A lot depends on what you want out of the visit, but as the others have said the water is plenty warm well into October.

There is no place on the east coast that can guarantee you great weather day after day, but it you check the City Data profile for Emerald Isle and scroll down to the weather section near the bottom, you'll see that Oct & Nov have as much or more sunshine as July and August.

The average daily high is still over 72 at the end of October.

We had friends from Boston visit us the middle of last April and the weather was so good I thought we were going to have to leave them on the beach.

Last January we had ten days when the temperature got above seventy and only nineteen hours below freezing for the whole month.

The one thing you do have to favor in besides temperature is wind. Though it might be 72 at the end Oct, a stiff breeze can make it feel lots cooler.

Still I think you can enjoy the beach easily through mid-Oct if you happen to catch some sunny skies.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times
I would say far as enjoying the water and not dealing with cold wind blasts you have September and October. As above posters stated you may have cooler winds coming from the north so definite pack a windbreaker or sweats for a walk on the beach.

October is a iffy month however it can be hot or there could be a cold snap.

September would be ideal month weather wise except that is also peak month for hurricanes so definitely invest in the 40 bucks travel insurance.

Also expect some recreation and stores not to be open being it is the off season.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:57 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,974 times
Keep this in mind too-Winter time winds primarily come out of the north. The coast of NC has beaches that run east/west and north/south. You'll find that the east/west running beaches protect you from the winter time winds.
Bill

Old 08-21-2007, 09:59 AM

73 posts, read 379,444 times
I own a home in the northern outer banks. We use it for personal use
the first 3 weeks of September, then close it for the season. At the time we
use it, the beaches and restaurants are empty, and the water still warm.
Frankly, it's a great time of year.
It gets a little iffy in October...

Old 08-21-2007, 11:11 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,114,113 times
Quote:
Thank you!!!
All depends what you're planning on doing at the beach ....
Since my sons both work very close to the beach, I go any time I can get off work or justify a workshop! Mary

Old 08-22-2007, 07:01 AM

285 posts, read 948,896 times
The answer for me is that it's NEVER too late to visit the beach. In fact, we often pull together group trips to houses in the dead of winter- we have the entire beach to yourself, we can afford top-notch houses, and it feels much closer to nature off-season. If you actually want to SWIM, however, I would try just after Labor Day.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:59 AM

197 posts, read 876,272 times
September if you want to go in the water, or plan for "summerlike" days.
Of course, you can get those sometimes in October (earlier the better) or November, but I wouldn't plan for that - you never know about those months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina