U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 01:36 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,358,872 times

Advertisements

Marine Fisheries Commission Votes on Striped Bass, Other Issues

MOREHEAD CITY Ė The N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission voted on striped bass and other issues at its meeting in Raleigh last week.

Among actions, the commission adopted a proposal for a limited entry system for the commercial Atlantic Ocean striped bass fishery, possibly for the 2012-2013 fishing season. The proposal adds hook-and-line as an allowable commercial gear in the fishery.

Approval of this proposal effectively directs the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries to develop a limited entry system for the fishery. The division will bring specifics of a proposal before commission for final approval in the coming months.

For the interim, the commission approved a short-term strategy to manage the commercial ocean striped bass fishery with seasons and trip limits under the same gear permit system used in previous years.

Commercial fishermen wishing to participate in the ocean striped bass fishery this winter need to purchase an Atlantic Ocean Striped Bass Commercial Gear Permit. There will not be a deadline on obtaining this permit this year. The permit costs $10 and is available at any N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries license office. Fisherman can also call the division to request a mail-in application.

At the time of permit application, the person holding the commercial fishing license or license assignment must declare what type of gear he intends to use: gill net, trawl or beach seine. Gear declarations will be binding on the permit holder for three consecutive years or until the limited entry permit system begins.

Beach seine season will open Dec. 1 with a 150-fish-per-day-per-license harvest limit and a four-man-per-license maximum crew limit. The beach seine season will close once the quota is caught.

Gill net season will open Jan. 1 with a 50-fish-per-day-per-vessel harvest limit. The gill net season will stay open until the quota is caught.

Trawl net season will begin immediately after the gill net season closes, but no later than Jan. 15 (whichever comes first). Trawl permit holders will be under a 100-fish-per-vessel-per-day harvest limit. During the open season trawl permit holders may only possess ocean striped bass on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Trawl net permit holders will be allowed a 15-fish-per day-per vessel bycatch from Dec. 1 until the regular trawl net season opens.

In order to avoid waste, fishermen who hold either of the three gear permit will be allowed to transfer fish they catch over the daily harvest limit to other striped bass permit holders. If a trawl vessel needs to return to the dock with more than its daily trip limit for any circumstance, Marine Patrol must be notified before docking. Any overage or transfer at the dock will be overseen by a Marine Patrol officer.

Transferred fish will be counted against the quota.

In the event of a fish spill similar to this past winter, the commission authorized division Director Louis Daniel to deduct any quantifiable waste in the commercial Atlantic Ocean striped bass fishery from the commercial quota.

In other action, the commission voted to:

∑ Open the Pamlico Sound Gill Net Restricted Area Sept. 19 seven days a week under the same regulations and permit requirements as previous years. However, if there is an interaction with a Kempís ridley sea turtle, fishing days will reduce to six. If there is a second interaction with a live Kempís ridley, the number of fishing days will reduce to five. The commission also authorized division Director Daniel to implement stricter regulations, if needed. The Pamlico Sound Gill Net Restricted Area must close to all large-mesh gill nets for the remainder of the fall fishing season if the fishery has interactions with three live or two dead Kempís ridley sea turtles.

∑ Open southern Core Sound, Back Sound, The Straits and North River to set large-mesh gill nets Oct. 1 under regulations established by a sea turtle lawsuit settlement. Since this settlement only allows this fishery on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights, the effective opening date will be Oct. 3.

∑ Send a draft Spotted Seatrout Fishery Management Plan out for public comment on options for ending overfishing within two years of final adoption of the plan.
∑ Send Amendment 1 to the Estuarine Striped Bass Fishery Management Plan out for public comment.

In a special guest appearance, N.C. Secretary of State Elaine Marshall administered the oath of office to three new commission members. Gov. Bev Perdue appointed Joe Shute, Chris Elkins and Allyn Powell to the board in August. Shute fills a seat reserved for someone in the recreational fishing industry. Elkins fills a seat reserved for a recreational fisherman. Powell fills a seat reserved for a fisheries scientist. A high-resolution photograph of this ceremony can be downloaded at NCDENR - TAKING THE OATH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 02:11 PM

572 posts, read 1,408,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Marine Fisheries Commission Votes on Striped Bass, Other Issues

∑ Open the Pamlico Sound Gill Net Restricted Area Sept. 19 seven days a week under the same regulations and permit requirements as previous years. However, if there is an interaction with a Kempís ridley sea turtle, fishing days will reduce to six. If there is a second interaction with a live Kempís ridley, the number of fishing days will reduce to five. The commission also authorized division Director Daniel to implement stricter regulations, if needed. The Pamlico Sound Gill Net Restricted Area must close to all large-mesh gill nets for the remainder of the fall fishing season if the fishery has interactions with three live or two dead Kempís ridley sea turtles.
If they get through the gill net season without killing any turtles I'm gonna drop off a live lobster at the Beasely turtle hospital and see if anybody there is willing to kill it and eat it.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:54 PM

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if no turtle was killed. But it would suprise me if there was no interaction.
By the way-I wonder if they would pray to Mother Ocean before they ate the lobster?

Old 09-16-2011, 04:12 PM

700 posts, read 1,437,319 times
Since you are buying. I will take at 6 pack of Jumbos and 12-2lbs.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if no turtle was killed. But it would suprise me if there was no interaction.
By the way-I wonder if they would pray to Mother Ocean before they ate the lobster?
That's what I was thinking. All jokes aside I'm glad the gill net season will proceed and I hope no turtles are harmed.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
Since you are buying. I will take at 6 pack of Jumbos and 12-2lbs.
If my humble salary has to buy we'll be eating shrimp. I can't afford lobster. That's rich people food.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. All jokes aside I'm glad the gill net season will proceed and I hope no turtles are harmed.

And regardless if its shrimp or lobster-I'll bring the butter and lemons

Old 09-17-2011, 05:59 AM

700 posts, read 1,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
If my humble salary has to buy we'll be eating shrimp. I can't afford lobster. That's rich people food.
Go out and catch it!!!

Old 09-17-2011, 06:41 AM

Of all of the wonderful & abundant seafood NC waters produce-Lobster is not one of the commonly caught. I am by no means a lobster expert but believe its the spiny lobster and not the american lobster that are found (when found) along the coast of NC. The American lobster has the big claws-Spiny lobsters don't.
Check out this video of lobster caught at the lobster ledges

Giant lobsters caught off Wilmington, NC - YouTube

And as a friendly reminder, a turtle interaction as defined by the ESA means to, "harass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect, or to attempt to engage in any such conduct"

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 09-17-2011 at 06:51 AM..

Old 09-17-2011, 09:37 AM

245 posts, read 378,519 times
Am I reading this right....that they're going to put a season on Speckled Trout? If so, that's going to suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina