U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:06 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,356,346 times

Advertisements

Constant expansion and contraction
Reverse Erosion

It's sand and water so a beach/island will always be in motion. Sometimes it subtracts. Sometimes it adds.
But let's be clear-There is a difference between the natural erosion/accretion of a beach and the effects of a storm event.

Here's something fun that will make everyone an expert. It's from NCDENR Coastal Management, Long-Term Average Annual Erosion Study:
http://dcm2.enr.state.nc.us/Maps/SB_Factor.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 06:34 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,650,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Seems regardless where the devastation is-Outer Banks or Inner Banks posters here at CD eventually arrive at condemning the people for living there.
No compassion for the people. Just criticism.
Yet one of the most topics posted in this section of CD is by folks who want to move here.
And some wonder why I mention prayer so much at this web site.
I do have compassion for these working-age people. However, most of the posters on here are retirees who have worked their whole lives in order to AFFORD living there. The younger, working age people who CHOOSE to live here need to do what normal people do in order to survive which is RELOCATE TO WHERE THE JOBS ARE! This may require them to leave the county for the first time in their lives.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:53 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,637,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
The younger, working age people who CHOOSE to live here need to do what normal people do in order to survive which is RELOCATE TO WHERE THE JOBS ARE! This may require them to leave the county for the first time in their lives.
If we're still discussing people living inland the majority of them were born there, chief. And most of them don't have the luxury of being able to afford to just up and move wherever when they feel like it.

This sort of question comes up all the time whenever there's a disaster. I remember reading a guest op-ed in NC State's student newspaper back when Floyd struck from some privileged little lord Fauntleroy from Harvard bemoaning why these poor rubes would stick around after all that devastation and bother rebuilding their quaint shanties instead of just relying on mummy and daddy for a little advance on their trust funds to jet off to some less waterlogged environs. It takes a lifetime of living in a total bubble cut off from normal society to consider that a normal thought process, let alone be one's gut reaction to such events.

At any rate it's their home, it's what they know. They have every right to keep their homes. We don't get all in a huff over people living in some godforsaken hole like Joplin, MO or Greensburg, KS that gets wiped off the face of the planet by tornadoes every year. The expectation is oh those poor folks let's text a few bucks to Red Cross so we feel good about ourselves and then go on forgetting they exist until the next godforsaken hole gets tornadoed out of existence. I mean if there ever was a sign from a divine force that This Is Not A Place Meant For Human Habitation, it's certainly the Midwest and their regular tornado infestation. Yet, they rebuild and go on and we applaud their indomitable spirit.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:22 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,650,733 times
[quote=box_of_zip_disks;20951931]If we're still discussing people living inland the majority of them were born there, chief. And most of them don't have the luxury of being able to afford to just up and move wherever when they feel like it. At any rate it's their home, it's what they know. They have every right to keep their homes.

Did you not read what I wrote? That was exactly my point. Everyone has a right to live where they want to live. They have never left the county and this is their home. You said that many cannot afford to move. However, if I was earning $40/day pulling crab pots, the question is "CAN I AFFORD TO STAY HERE"? Heck, you could buy/rent a trailer in the outskirts of Wake County for what it costs to live in Loland and have more opportunities there. I do have sympathy for these people. The article asked, "Is it worth it"? My answer is no.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 AM

77 posts, read 130,616 times
The thing I don't understand is if they can't afford to move, how do they afford to rebuild? And if they do manage to scrape together enough to rebuild, why don't they rebuild someplace with a lower mathematical/statistical chance of catastrophic damage? It just seems irrational, I guess.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
However, if I was earning $40/day pulling crab pots, the question is "CAN I AFFORD TO STAY HERE"? Heck, you could buy/rent a trailer in the outskirts of Wake County for what it costs to live in Loland and have more opportunities there.
But there's not too many crab pots to be worked in Raleigh. a lot of crabs-Just not many pots.
While everyone is sitting in the comfy of their homes and offices I'd like for you to think about this. How well do you think you'd fare if you were told to move to a place you know nothing of. A place of no family or heritage. A place you have no job skills or any set of skills at all for. And you were told you have to pay for this move yourself. How do you think you'd fare?
That's exactly what you are asking the people of easten NC to do.
Judgement and condemnation is something I really didn't expect here.

Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
Luke 6: 36-38 KJV

Old 09-20-2011, 07:52 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,746,889 times
I did it Bill, and many others, except we did not have a namby-pamby crying about how tough life is.

Read a little about the textile shutdown in the Piedmont. I remember it well. All hands gathered on a hillside beside the mill, a powered megaphone, and about 5 sentences, the last that the plant was closing next Friday. That was it. No federal aid, no state aid, no nothing.

Yep, if the textile families, many of whom worked with their fathers and grandfathers can do it, the down-easters can do it, too.

It is not that I don't have compassion, of course I do, but to expect a better, or even a viable life, given environmental and economic conditions, is pitiful.

Again, Bill, it is the ability to handle, manage, and overcome change that is the difference, be it ant, cat, or human.

lln

Old 09-20-2011, 09:01 AM

Hurricane Irene recovery: How to give :: WRAL.com

Old 09-20-2011, 11:31 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,043,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
But there's not too many crab pots to be worked in Raleigh. a lot of crabs-Just not many pots.
I dunno about that one Bill. Judging from the way some of our politicians think and vote, I'd say there are a lot of pot in Raleigh.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM

I copied, with permission the following Facebook post. It's from someone I go to Church with who lives in Pamlico Co. but has a family farm in Beaufort Co.

"My thought for the day.... NEVER wait for or expect the government to help in a crisis, because it's the PEOPLE, not the govt who will be there for each other in times of great need! THANK YOU churches, volunteers, Pamlico Co and out-of-town donors, and Pamlico Co Relief for being there when the people of this county are in need!"

I saw this post at Facebook and immediately thought of my friends here at CD. This is the type of person that lives in eastern NC. This is the type of person you are judging, condemning, criticizing and telling to move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina