Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 02:15 PM

104 posts, read 183,174 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I live in Charlotte and am planning to take my wife to Wilmington in a few weeks for a weekend getaway for our third wedding anniversary (we're in our early 30s, btw). I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good hotel or B&B in downtown Wilmington. I'm looking for a location that allows us to walk to restaurants and shops (and the river walk) without having to drive everywhere. We'll probably visit Wrightsville Beach while we're there too, but we don't driving there.

I really like the look of the historic downtown in Wilmington, so that's where I'd like to find lodging.

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 03:43 PM

291 posts, read 865,773 times
The River Inn is supposed to be nice...never stayed there, but know it overlooks the river and can walk to everything! Enjoy your stay here!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,597,003 times
In my opinon, "The Verandas" B&B is the best looking building in downtown Wilmington. I have never been inside, I don't know of its reputation as a business establishment, but I just love the building, and its location is ideal.

The Front Street Inn is a very cool place as well, with an equally prime location.

There are plenty of B&B's - keep in mind that there are several B&B's on 3rd street, which is loud and heavy traffic. Also, it is not ideal to be on 4th/5th street and have to cross 3rd street.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:41 PM

60 posts, read 187,571 times
And now for something completely different:

Jubilee Snooze and Cruise

Bed and Breakfast, B&B, Yacht charter, cruise, hotel, motel, Wilmington, NC

http://www.focusonthecoast.com/index...o_pdf=1&id=437

Last edited by gonetocarolina; 09-17-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 07:03 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,004,900 times
I lived in Wilmington for 10 years. Visit few times a year. A good compromise on the hotel/ B&B is the Best Western Coastline Inn...I know what you're thinking but it's not like a Best Western at all. They took over a private hotel and completely remodeled it. Riverfront, definitely walkable to anything downtown. Rooms are great, small fridge, microwave, sink, complimentary breakfast brought to your room every day. Lacks the forced togetherness of a B&B, lets you be a bit more anonymous. Can't recall website but it's easy enough to find.

Stay away from Riverfront Hilton. Still kinda dumpy after all these years...

Old 09-20-2009, 05:52 PM

21 posts, read 38,606 times
I just took a nice stroll downtown and passed a couple B&Bs that are seem well-suited to your needs. First is the Verandahs (The Verandas B&B Wilmington NC), a very gracious old mansion that seems to be well liked from the guests I've seen there. Close to downtown but not so close as to be noisy. The other one is a bit further from downtown, the French House (The French House Bed and Breakfast Wilmington North Carolina). A little smaller than the Verandas but with a nice front porch and a well maintained property. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina