U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:55 AM

133 posts, read 541,520 times

Advertisements

We are in our 20's with not much money looking to buy a first home. We'd like to spend less than 130k on a home with a safe surronding. For example we don't want street walkers or crack dealers dealing off our porch. We don't really mind small(tiny) homes or tiny lots. We wouldn't mind living in an area surronded by retired people so thats open. We noticed online this place on Queen Street with 500+ sq ft for $120,000. Question is- Is that a good area? We also liked the one on 4th street for 120k.

Here is a home style we really like:
REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 09:20 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,352,672 times
For anything downtown, stay inside an area defined by these boundaries:
North: Market/17
West: the river
South: Nun/Church St.
East: 4th St
That's about the safest area. Then there is another area called Forest Hills, (WAY out of MY price range ) It's between 23rd Street and Mercer Street off Market toward Oleander.

To be honest, you aren't going to find many houses for much less than $160 in a safe area. I do know of one that is in a very safe neighborhood, the buyers have had it on the market since April, and they might be willing to haggle some. If you are interested, PM me. No, I am not a realtor, just their neighbors. Liz

Old 08-19-2007, 04:57 PM

700 posts, read 2,943,898 times
Stay Away From Anywhere Downtown!!

Old 08-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Florida15, you just don't like downtown at all. And while I agree most of it is that way, there is a small slice of it, that is okay. People need to know what slice of it isn't as bad as the rest. Liz

Old 08-20-2007, 06:51 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,644,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodakMoment View Post
We are in our 20's with not much money looking to buy a first home. We'd like to spend less than 130k on a home with a safe surronding.
If you want to buy for less than $150,000 - $175,000, then I would start looking in Brunswick or Pender Counties, not downtown Wilmington. Maybe something just south of downtown, off Carolina Beach Road would work for y'all, I don't know.

Quote:
For example we don't want street walkers or crack dealers dealing off our porch. We don't really mind small(tiny) homes or tiny lots. We wouldn't mind living in an area surronded by retired people so thats open. We noticed online this place on Queen Street with 500+ sq ft for $120,000. Question is- Is that a good area?
Well, there are hookers and crack dealers in that area (S. 6th Street). I don't know where you are talking about on Queen Street, though. But I wouldn't live in that house you posted a link for. Not only are you in a high-crime neighborhood, but you are about 1/2 a block from a heavily traveled highway.

I live downtown, and it can be confusing finding a safe place to live here. I would take southernlady's advice on where to live/not live. There are some safe and unsafe places to live downtown, and I would very, very strongly advise you to research and plan before you moved. I've moved a few times, and my move to downtown Wilmington required a lot more planning than I anticipated.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:43 PM

Southernlady5464 No,I don't like anywhere downtown to live.It's okay to visit during the daytime but as far as living there all the time, it's not desirable at all.People should know the truth and it just keeps on getting worse daily.I wish with all my heart it wasn't true,but it is and we may as well face the reality of it.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:34 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,644,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
Southernlady5464 No,I don't like anywhere downtown to live.It's okay to visit during the daytime but as far as living there all the time, it's not desirable at all.People should know the truth and it just keeps on getting worse daily.I wish with all my heart it wasn't true,but it is and we may as well face the reality of it.
I understand that everyone has their opinions, but when you start referring to your opinion as "the truth", that is misleading (to put it nicely).

If you want to face reality, perhaps a good way to start would be to provide some factual basis for your claim that crime in Wilmington is getting worse on a daily basis.

When I look around downtown, I see the low-income houses being bought by the block, torn down, and redeveloped into nicer, middle class homes. I think "the truth" is that the middle and upper income downtown neighborhoods are pushing the lower-income neighborhoods out. There is still a really long way to go before that happens, though.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:20 PM

All you need to do is read the police blotter daily-that is truth enough.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
All you need to do is read the police blotter daily-that is truth enough.
But that is true of any downtown. And just like any downtown, there are areas that are exceptions to that rule. Liz

Old 08-20-2007, 06:29 PM

I agree-BUT other downtowns are much larger with more space between you and the crime.Unfortunately,Wilmington has way too much crime for it's size.

Like everything else in life,where you live is your choice.If you're comfortable and happy, that's all that matters.I sincerely hope you stay happy and safe where you live and I wish you all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina