Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:58 AM

279 posts, read 702,709 times

Advertisements

I know my name says differently...

we are in the Raleigh area now and have been for a little over 2 years. Its not what I expected..its not terrible, but it is too overpopulated for my tastes for one. I also am from New England and miss the coastline, so being 2 hours away from it is a drawback.

My husband's company has a branch in New Bern so a transfer is very possible.

Has anyone lived in Raleigh area then moved to New Bern that can offer any insight?

There are plenty of transplants in this area, are there just as many in your area? Is it easy to make friends with your neighbors?

My husband says he will never go back to the northeast to shovel snow, so I am looking to different areas. Went to Wilmington for visit, it was nice, but not sure that was the right fit either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 11:06 PM

21 posts, read 61,923 times
From Rlgh to Nwbr, um let me think...YES!
There are plenty of other messages posted on City Data that describe in detail the ins/outs of both Nwbr and relocating to NC from Maine. And I have crossed paths with some fine ex-"Mainiacs" such as the late Jim T. the lawnmower guy, hospital volunteer, and all around leaves you feeling better for having been around him guy. He and others would "go back to Maine" about once a year or so to camp. But I never recall ever hearing him say he was "going back home to Maine". TMI, B.M.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,629 times
Default New Bern?

Did you end up moving to New Bern? What likes and dislikes have you found?

We'd be transplants from the midwest and Australia. Wondering how we'd be accepted and if its easy to make friends and is it one of those towns where you might run into 3 people every time you go to town or the store?

What about Christian schools? Very important for us.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2011, 04:09 PM

107 posts, read 257,228 times
Grammercy Christian School in Newport is probably the biggest one around...Come on down to Morehead City to live...

Old 01-12-2011, 06:22 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
What are the age ranges of your kids? What denomination? Ignore Crystal Coast Host, his name should be a tip off to what he's about. I suspect it's the same person (a Realtor) with about 5 screen names that do nothing but boost Carteret county. It' a great place, don't get me wrong, but there's ulterior motives behind the posts.

there are 5 christian schools for k-8, 3 for high school age.

K-12:
Ruth's Chapel
Ruths Chapel Christian School in New Bern, North Carolina / NC - Profile, Address, Reviews,...

Calvary
Browser Not Supported

Craven*County Private Schools - North Carolina/NC - Private School Review

Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 AM

Yes I am a Realtor. But I can guarantee you sir that I lived in Craven County over 15 years...It can be a pleasant place, but the school system sucks...The BEST school they have is Brinson, for Middle Schools, send your kids to the year round school in Havelock behind Wells Wayside furniture. Hgh Schools, do you pick New Bern with 2300 kids or Havelock High?

I researched ALL the schools around, and the BEST is in Western Carteret. I did Ruth's Chapel for all my 4 daughters, and the problem is, NC does NOT recognize the schools diplomas from high school...

So Western Carteret solved our school situation, our nicer living area, and we have unlimited access to the water here...

You want to promote CravenCounty, go ahead...

But I live in Carteret County, and I wish I would have moved here 24 years ago..

Old 01-13-2011, 05:47 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
I don't promote anything. I answer the posters question. If someone asks a question about New Bern, my response is about New Bern, if someone asks a question about Morehead, i tell them about about Morehead, if someone asks a question about Clayton, i tell them about Clayton. No matter what anybody asks, you tell them about Cartertet, usually Cape Carteret in particular

Saying that the school system sucks is pure FUD. The Craven County School System is one of the top rated school systems in the state, based on the average of all school in the districts. Granted is does place behind , but just behind on a district wide basis. If you talk individual schools, taht are several in Craven that outstrip ones in Carteret. (ref: North Carolina State Districts - NC School District Rankings , Craven County Schools in New Bern, NC | GreatSchools ,Carteret County Public Schools in Beaufort, NC | GreatSchools).

Regardless, even talking about the public schools is a straw man argument, b/c she asked about private Christian schools. Speaking of which, depending on your kids ages,faithdownunder another option is Epiphany. This is the private Christian school started by Nicholas Sparks. It serves grades 5-12
Home Page for The Epiphany School, New Bern,NC

Old 01-13-2011, 07:10 AM

I promote alot of areas, areas I know about, I have even promoted New Bern in these forums. Everyone will have differences of opinions on all these areas, and the people looking to relocate here do need honest opinions from all sorts of locals and transplants...The good, the bad and the ugly. I have seen you promote many areas, which is good, and I have promoted alot of them myself...I do wiegh heavier on where I did relocate to because for me, it is then next best thing to sliced bread. But as I indicated, it is only my belief. Others should investigate every area they are looking to move to, so that they are informed, and make a great choice...I love the whole Crystal Coast, from Onslow, Carteret and Craven counties...and would gladly live in any of them, but for right now, I call Carteret home, so I am biased some...lol...

Old 02-03-2011, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,863 times
We relocated here in 1996 and have felt at home since the first day. The people are very welcoming. One visit will tell you that. I've heard of visitors dining in a restaurant being taken to residents homes after just having met. The problem you will have is getting people to stop telling you how wonderful it is here. Come on over!!

Last edited by Janet Lamb; 02-03-2011 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: change category

Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,863 times
We relocated here in 1996 and have felt at home since the first day. The people are very welcoming. One visit will tell you that. I've heard of visitors dining in a restaurant being taken to residents homes after just having met. The problem you will have is getting people to stop telling you how wonderful it is here. Come on over!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina