Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 10,311 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Morehead City this coming spring. Any feedback on employment opportunities, beaches, rental units, age of single females and things to do in the area?

Last edited by extremeski; 09-22-2011 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:48 AM

278 posts, read 577,091 times
I can't answer your questions, but a female's disposition is directly related to how she is treated.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:43 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I truly love answering questions abut the area I care deeply about, but sometimes questions are so open-ended that it makes it quite difficult--if not possible--to respond.

Asking the original poster--with kindness and care--have you done any original research on your own--and if you have, could you ask more specific questions that might be easier to answer?

For instance:

Inquiring about career possibilities (in what field?)

Rental units? (in what price range and a single house or an apt. or trailer?)

The single scene (what age group?)

Things to do in the area (bars, dance places, restaurants, sports, recreation or what?)

Beaches (yes, we've got 'em--lots of 'em--sea and sand and waves and such--do you have specific questions?)

See what I mean, if you define your questions after doing some research, you'll get replies, but asking for an entire guide to our area makes responding difficult.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:21 PM

32 posts, read 68,980 times
12 years ago when I lived in Emerald Isle and went to school @ west Cartert Morehead was a nice place with plenty of jobs, especially in summer time when Emerald Isle has the summer fest. lots of summer hiring.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:52 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
Quote:
I am considering a move to Morehead City this coming spring. Any feedback on employment opportunities, beaches, rental units, age of single females and things to do in the area?
Employment opportunities: No problem getting a job as a real estate broker
Beaches-Miles and miles of pristine beaches. Some inhabitted, some not.
Rental units: Bunches of them-Only to be out done by the available properties for sale
Age of single females: We have them in all ages

In my opinion-When it comes to making money Morehead City and the Crystal Coast offers opportunity more than employment.
Bill

Old 03-04-2012, 04:46 AM

20 posts, read 44,558 times
Default weather in and around Moorehead City

hello all~.. my husband and I are considering a second home with the intention to retire to it in a few years in or around the Moorehead City area. from what i have read in the forum there are all positive posts about the area which is exciting.. however can anyone give us some insight into the weather please during the summer months... how hot does it get and is it so bad you can't go outside. we are from LI.

Appreciate your input.- thank you

Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolier View Post
however can anyone give us some insight into the weather please during the summer months... how hot does it get and is it so bad you can't go outside.
I live on the coast, and yes, there were days it's so hot you don't want to go outside. However, if you can afford to live near the ocean, there are breezes. Every where is air-conditioned. The other big issue is mosquitoes. Around here, homeowners pay for spraying their properties, and a screened porch is a necessity.

On the whole, the great weather experience in the other 9 months of the year outweighs the buggy summer.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-04-2012 at 06:35 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 08:04 AM

20 posts, read 44,558 times
Goldenage1-- thats a great name!!..
thank you.. i didn't think about the mosquitos.. oh i hate those.

i'm not sure yet what we can afford yet we just know we can't afford to stay here. I've just started to do some research and crunch some numbers.. we probably have to sell our house here to get something in NC. may i ask you another question.. again from what i have read there seems to be little or no crime in this area. Right now in my town we have very little crime with the exception of kids who have nothing to do and occasionally roam the streets in the summer and bust a beer bottle or two and that is rare .burglaries, no robberies or rapes. so this is as equally important to us. We also love to hike so I would like to be able to take a walk or hike and not worry about that.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:26 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolier View Post
may i ask you another question.. again from what i have read there seems to be little or no crime in this area.
I can't speak for Morehead City, but it's unrealistic to say there is no crime. You probably will not get mugged when you walk in a park. However, think of an area with a fairly high un-employment rate. There are house break-ins, thefts from construction sites. There's a fair number of people addicted to pain pills, so they steal from drug stores, etc.

You might look into a gated community, and there are some in Emerald Isle and Atlantic Beach.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-04-2012 at 09:01 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
I can speak for MHC. My father-in-law lives there, My was born there. I grew up in a neighboring town and community with close ties to the city and visit often. To say crime is zero would be disingenuous but it is as close as i imagine you can come. Even the "bad" neighborhoods aren't that bad and ahve the desgnation more due to the socio-economic of them Vs the criminal element. Even then many of the section 8 apartments and old homes are being torn down to make way for nice new ones along Calico Creek. Without looking up the statistics, off-hand I'd imagine most crime revolved around drugs (selling & using).

As far as weather the summers are actually cooler on the coast. the only times you may try to avoid the outodoors is mid-day, but that is as much for the tourists as it is for the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina