Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:57 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times

Advertisements

"The House of Representatives unexpectedly defeated a bill that would fund the federal government [including the federal flood insurance program] past Sept. 30 Wednesday as dozens of Republicans broke with their party to push for deeper spending cuts."

House Defeats Bill Funding Government; FEMA, Flood Insurance in Doubt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 12:57 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,688 times
FEMA is critical, but i'd love to see them do away with federally subsidized flood insurance. It is a backwards program that encourages people to build in hazardous floodprone areas. At the very least, they need to convert it to an unsubsidized program with actuarially sound rates.

The only real problem I see is that you will have a transition period where the private market is not yet offering coverage.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:02 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
They'll wind up reauthorizing FEMA and flood insurance funding separately without the spending offsets, like they should have in the first place.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:27 PM

77 posts, read 150,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
FEMA is critical, but i'd love to see them do away with federally subsidized flood insurance. It is a backwards program that encourages people to build in hazardous floodprone areas. At the very least, they need to convert it to an unsubsidized program with actuarially sound rates.

The only real problem I see is that you will have a transition period where the private market is not yet offering coverage.
I thought the whole point of federal flood insurance to begin with was that the private market couldn't/wouldn't offer anything resembling affordable rates? You think if the feds go away, private insurance will take over? I don't see that happening, ever.

Subsidized insurance definitely does encourage (re)building in hazardous areas though.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:30 PM

Funding for the federal flood insurance program has lapsed so many times the past few years I've lost count.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk_md View Post
I thought the whole point of federal flood insurance to begin with was that the private market couldn't/wouldn't offer anything resembling affordable rates?
In 1968, this was the case, yeah. "Affordable" is the key word. My take on that is people shouldn't live in flood prone areas if they can't afford the market rate of flood insurance.

I've noticed other people have this attitude, or belief, that people are entitled to live where they've always lived, or where they want to live, or somewhere near the water, without regards to whether they can afford to do so. I don't share this belief.

Quote:
You think if the feds go away, private insurance will take over? I don't see that happening, ever.
Of course. It'll cost an arm and a leg, like it ought to.

The big questions are, do you force people to carry flood insurance, and what do you do whenever they cannot afford it? Right now we give them tax dollars.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 09-22-2011 at 02:56 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 02:54 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
At the very least, they need to convert it to an unsubsidized program with actuarially sound rates.
^This.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:59 PM

http://policyintegrity.org/documents...gtheMarket.pdf
Quote:
Conclusion
The current price of flood insurance both subsidizes new development in flood zones and
subsidizes risk for those who already built in flood zones. These twin subsidies have left the NFIP
with a gaping fiscal hole. The costs of the subsidies will likely be borne generally by taxpayers. But
where there is a subsidy, there is a benefit. The benefits of the NFIP appear to accrue largely to
wealthy households concentrated in a few highly-exposed states.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
My take on that is people shouldn't live in flood prone areas if they can't afford the market rate of flood insurance.
I agree. But do most folks realize all the areas that a flood prone area include? It isn't just coastal. And on the opposite side of the coin-Do folks realize how many properties along the coastal region are not in a flood prone area?

Old 09-22-2011, 05:30 PM

20 posts, read 48,596 times
Default Carteret County GIS Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Do folks realize how many properties along the coastal region are not in a flood prone area?
While there are limited coastal properties out of the flood zones they are easy to identify. Carteret County has one of the best GIS maps around at this link:

http://carteret.connectgis.com/Default/Default.aspx (broken link)

Under base data turn on 2 ft, 5 ft, and 10 ft contours

Under Environmental turn on Flood Zones

Under Text turn off most of the text to see contours.

Result: Flood zones will be color coded Shaded X and X

Contours will show elevations; use the ‘i’ tool (top left) and click on the contour lines for specific elevations.

This is how we found our property!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina