U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:50 AM

20 posts, read 41,422 times

Advertisements

The first thing a Scientist or Engineer does when confronted with a new or repetitive problem is to read, Read, READ. It is imperative to garner all of the knowledge and expertise from the work done prior, to apply that knowledge as a baseline for new innovation, and to avoid blindly repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

The originator of this thread asks a very pertinent question. My 'opinion' is a temporary bridge is being used to address two problems of equal importance.
1. Access to Hatteras
2. Allowing the inlet to remain open long enough to build a Flood Tide Delta behind the break to help stabilize the coastal dynamics in this area.

I could have provided this answer and moved on, however it was not really my intention to answer the question. My opinion means nothing; I donít live in Hatteras.

My motivation was to help educate; to provide reference to an outstanding historical and scientific essay on the subject of the Outer Banks (easily understood by CD readership) so those living in Hatteras can better understand their dilemma and hopefully to influence politicians to make better decisions empowered by an informed OBX community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandjoy View Post
the best decisions always begin with an informed public...
and generally (my opinion) rejecting fanatical positions; the biggest problem facing humanity today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 PM

700 posts, read 1,436,551 times
The solution is simple a ferry system. It is easier to protect in times of hurricanes other bad weather. If The Carolina Joker would open her eyes she would see that.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:35 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,637,594 times
A ferry solution faces extra time and cost problems over the bridge solution. Locating designing and building a new dock on each end, which will inevitably have to meet environmental plus local design constraints and likely run into the tens of millions alone for each station plus appropriating in the budget at least two ferries, which run around 1.5-3 million per year in maintenance costs plus the tens of millions in initial cost, and at least one ferry route has to be free so no revenue offsets there. Plus in terms of emergency services Dare County will likely need to purchase an extra Medflight helicopter for Hatteras and Ocracoke emergencies along with flight crew, extra millions right there in initial costs.

All told the costs of all these things will likely run in the neighborhood of what the proposed bridge will cost, plus the added tens of millions in maintenance, all of which has to be sourced from several layers of budgets compared to the bridge which has a static budget source. As for time concerns, it would be at least several years before construction would begin on any proposed ferry docks if not at least a decade whereas the replacement short bridge is scheduled to begin construction next year.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Why free???? A critical care unit on the island will work. They have a fire department? Correct? Why not a critical care station. Could it be that it is not needed. Therefore the fact of needing addition air care service would not be needed. Maybe the outer Banks needs to look at Nantucket. With a year round population of 10,000 plus. They seem to do just fine. Even when the summer comes and the population raises to around 50,000.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:38 PM

Look, it's obvious you're not from Dare County and have no clue how emergency services work there (or in general) so let's just leave it at that.

At any rate this discussion is largely moot as the short bridge is being built next year and when that bridge's lifespan is exceeded by a half-century and people finally get around to deciding what to do next, assuming that rising ocean levels and the westward drift of the barrier islands haven't made it so the bridge itself is sitting out in the Atlantic all by its lonesome like some weird conceptual art piece. That would be a good time to bring up this discussion, since nothing else is going to be done in the meantime.

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 09-27-2011 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 04:36 PM

You are correct. But, I do understand the reason for things. I do not think that Dare Country is any different than any other. Therefore, why would one of the reason you stated would be the addition cost medical air care. Living close to Baptist which as two helos. I see how regular they are used and the area that they service. I would think that if the island was that dependent on the air care system. Why would it not be smart to build a critical care unit on the island? Or even purchase another. Not being from some where does not float. The temp bridge is that. What happens if another storm takes it out???

Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM

By the way the water will rise.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
You are correct. But, I do understand the reason for things. I do not think that Dare Country is any different than any other. Therefore, why would one of the reason you stated would be the addition cost medical air care. Living close to Baptist which as two helos. I see how regular they are used and the area that they service. I would think that if the island was that dependent on the air care system. Why would it not be smart to build a critical care unit on the island? Or even purchase another. Not being from some where does not float. The temp bridge is that. What happens if another storm takes it out???
It took about 15 years of cajoling and wrangling to get the Nags Head hospital built, after multiple hospital systems bailed from not wanting to invest millions in a location they felt would be a bad investment. There's not really any place on Hatteras Island for another facility and certainly nobody willing to front the capital required. As it is Ocracoke and often Hatteras residents have to be airlifted for major emergencies.

Winston-Salem is within 100 miles of three other level one trauma centers besides WF Baptist, and the majority of the population serviced by Wake Forest lives even closer than that. Dare County and Ocracoke aren't laid out like a normal land area, so yes the geographic differences do have an effect. It takes about 45 minutes by ambulance from Hatteras to Nags Head hospital driving as fast as possible, about 2 hours to Elizabeth City or Chesapeake. Which until the Nags Head hospital was built was where you went for anything more serious than the flu. And even now serious cases are brought there for stabilization before being moved up to Chesapeake or EC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina