Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 04:01 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,489 times

Advertisements

This may have been mentioned in another thread, but for a post hurricane $5 million bridge to be build temporarily is beyond my scope of understanding.

If they're going to build it, why not make it permanent to allow for the breaches of water to go where they want? I don't understand the logic of this. Hopefully someone can explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 04:11 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
This may have been mentioned in another thread, but for a post hurricane $5 million bridge to be build temporarily is beyond my scope of understanding.

If they're going to build it, why not make it permanent to allow for the breaches of water to go where they want? I don't understand the logic of this. Hopefully someone can explain.

The proposed big bridge would fix this problem.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:14 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:

Because the process of building a permanent structure can take the better part of a decade from submitting designs, commissioning environmental studies, securing various phases of financing and construction, along with bidding from contractors and subs, to the actual construction. All of which runs well into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

In the case of replacing the current Oregon Inlet bridge this has gone on for almost two decades as far as studies and design proposals are concerned. People were discussing replacement options back in the early 1990s, for a bridge which at that point was already over 30 years old.

In the meantime the current residents need a way of getting on and off the island and for medical and emergency access, and the temporary ferry system in place isn't cutting it nor is it meant to be a long-term solution.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Everything built on the outer banks is temporary. The outer banks are moving west between 50 - 200 feet per century.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 PM

20 posts, read 48,593 times
Default Technical Explanation - Maybe more than you want to know!

Between 1846 and 1989, Oregon Inlet migrated approximately 2 miles south of its original location. In 1962-1963 the Oregon Inlet Bridge was built, but the inlet continued to migrate causing the throat channel to migrate from under the fixed navigation span and Pea Island to be almost severed from the bridge. Consequently, inlet dredging was increased to preserve the navigation channel; a rock jetty was emplaced on the south bank in 1989-1991, and a rock revetment was emplaced around the south base of the bridge to prevent further migration. However, the constrained location of the south bank, and the continued southward spit growth on the north bank caused Oregon Inlet to narrow and deepen. The narrower throat channel resulted in rapid scour beneath the central bridge pilings. As a result, rocks were emplaced beneath the free-hanging pilings.

Oregon Inlet is an extremely dynamic inlet which, under natural conditions, would likely continue to migrate southward. The high energy and dynamic character of the inlet conflict with the static human infrastructure (bridge and road), often pitting management policies and local interests against natural coastal dynamics. Continually shifting sand shoals and channels have necessitated increased dredging to maintain navigability for commercial and recreational vessels from nearby ports.

Controversies persist since the bridge has exceeded its life expectancy and needs to be replaced. One option is to rebuild it at its current location, which would require continued financial expenditures to nourish the beach on Pea Island, to continually replace the constructed dune ridges and Highway 12 (which are frequently destroyed by storms) and to emplace kilometers of sand bags in an attempt to hold the island in place. Another option being considered is to build a 17-milelong causeway in the sound behind Oregon Inlet to Rodanthe, bypassing the rapidly eroding Pea Island barrier segment, and allowing the Pea Island Wildlife Refuge to revert to a natural state without needing continued beach nourishment. From a long-term financial, management, and scientific perspective, this latter option is more viable but it conflicts strongly with local and shorter-term interests.

Last edited by Islandjoy; 09-24-2011 at 07:41 PM..

Old 09-25-2011, 04:26 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
How is a "17-mile long causeway in the sound" ecologically better option?
I can't imagine the interuption to water and sand flow and fish migration that 17 miles of man made structure would cause.
Red drum (our state fish) comes to mind. These fish live to be 40, 50+ years old. They have a east/west migration from sound to ocean. Almost never does a NC Red Drum migrate North South. How is 17 miles of man made structure goiing to effect them?

You know, now that I'm thinking about it-It doesn't take much to disrupt fish migration. Here in Carteret County we have a special fishery called stop nets. Stop nets are worked off the beach for mullet. These nets have a stretch mesh of 8 inches. Although the net is nothing but a composition of 8 inch holes the mullet stop when they come up to it.They are not gilled or even touched-Just stopped

Will 17 miles of man made causeway do the same?
Bill

Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 AM

I know nothing about this matter but just did a quick Google search. It's not a proposed causeway its a proposed bridge-Big difference.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:46 AM

20 posts, read 48,593 times
Quote:
log•ic
Noun: Reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity. The systematic use of symbolic and mathematical techniques to determine the forms of valid deductive argument.

My apologies to Maryjane; it was improper of me not to credit the words in my reply to the proper authors – David J. Mallinson, Stephen J. Culver, Stanley R. Riggs, J.P. Walsh, Dorothea Ames, and Curtis W. Smith – Department of Geological Sciences, Thomas Harriot College of Arts and Sciences and Institute for Coastal Science and Policy – East Carolina University

http://www.ecu.edu/icsp/ICSP/Reports...etsDec2008.pdf (see pages 9 - 10)

cause•way
Noun: A raised road across low or wet ground, usually providing passageway over wetlands. It should be noted that a causeway does not necessarily separate bodies of water.

Quoting from the above report: “Responsible management of the inlet resources means designing policies and infrastructure that are adaptive to the changing conditions. For example, instead of building bridges across the inlet throat, which naturally migrates rapidly due to high current activity, they could be built across the Flood Tide Delta and shallow water platform (i.e., the Hatteras Flats) behind the islands where sediments are more stable.”

Moderator cut: off topic

The topic of this post is no doubt a complex and controversial subject. Let’s hope the ultimately solution comes from the application of sound scientific, economic and engineering principles and not politicians, land speculators, or other biased self-serving extremists on both sides. Gee; those words sound familiar!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-26-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 02:58 PM

700 posts, read 1,645,815 times
Default Here is what is happened so far.

N.C. 12 RECOVERY PROJECT UPDATE FOR SEPT. 23 Friday, September 23, 2011

RALEIGH – While N.C. 12 south of Nags Head remains closed due to damage caused by Hurricane Irene last month, NCDOT continues to make progress fixing the breaches and areas of over wash in order to improve and reopen the highway.

At the Rodanthe breach area, crews continued constructing the sand embankments at the S-curves for the roadway to have the correct shape and slopes. Sandbag installation continues south of the Pea Island breach.

At the temporary bridge location on Pea Island, weather permitting, crews will pour concrete into the formwork for the footings at bent 3. Crews finished setting up the pile driving template at bent 2 and began installing piles. Bents are substructures supporting each end of the bridge span. Due to the limited amount of work space on the south side of the breach, crews need to coordinate crane and equipment movements with the tide changes. During high tide, crews have less access in their work space. Once the piles are installed for bent 2, the contractor will be able to work from platforms and be less impacted by tidal changes.

Temporary Bridge Facts:

· Piling: 41 piles driven out of 82 total piles.

· Sheet Piling Bulkhead: 558 linear feet out of 726 total linear feet.

· Concrete Footings: 4 footings poured out of 12 total footings.

· Bridge Truss Spans: 233 linear feet out of 662 total linear feet.

NCDOT estimates that the roadway could be fully reopened sometime in early October depending on weather conditions between now and then.

In an effort to keep residents and motorists informed about N.C. 12, NCDOT has launched an N.C. 12 recovery website (NCDOT: N.C. 12 Recovery Efforts) and twitter feed, and a blog. To see photos of the work, please visit NCDOT’s Flickr page.

Now, with this said. $2.5 to $2.7 million for a temp bridge. This is for the bridge not everything that is to get it installed

Old 09-26-2011, 04:22 AM

Moderator cut: off topic

Quote:
While others are certainly entitled to their opinions, it may be helpful if seemingly authoritative sources could post their credentials; specifically in the fields of environmental or coastal area management, or perhaps professional engineering. This is not suggesting that alternative expressions of opinion are invalid, but it does provide a means for individualized analysis and conclusions by CD readers; the best decisions always begin with an informed public.

The topic of this post is no doubt a complex and controversial subject. Let’s hope the ultimately solution comes from the application of sound scientific, economic and engineering principles and not politicians, land speculators, or other biased self-serving extremists on both sides. Gee; those words sound familiar!
In other words-I'll show you my degree if you show me yours. Or is it my degree is bigger than yours? In any case-It's an attempt to control the dialogue.
Your recent posts in the past few threads have made it very clear that you advocate that the beaches are moving. You've also made it very clear that you want to be the smartest kid on the block. OK-You win on both. But trying to stop dialogue through snips and snipes because you percieve someone doesn't agree with you won't work.

Now think twice before you reply. Don't snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. I have made it clear that in regards to the topic of the 17 mile long bridge, "I know nothing about this matter". I have also agreed that the "beaches are moving" and without inquiry that you are "the smartest kid on the block"

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-26-2011 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina