U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:39 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,361,785 times

Advertisements

Sea level is the latest threat to NC 20 coastal counties, but not the increase of water level itself, but the increase in cost If the state agencies promoting new regulations succeed.
The official state policy at this time is that the sea level will be 39 inches higher in 100 years. Coastal Resources Commission (CRC) tried to mandate that number in our land use plans but retreated when we pointed out some shoddy science behind the numbers.
Instead of abandonong that absurd number however, CRC simply recast it as a planning benchmark. Now the folks doing our flood zone maps are drinking the same kool aid,
The number is bogus-utterly without any science behind it.

NC-20. Twenty Counties, One Voice
NC-20 is a partnership of the people, local governments, and businesses of the 20 coastal (CAMA) Counties in North Carolina dedicated to economic development of the member counties
NC-20 - "Twenty Counties...One Voice" - Coastal Counties of North Carolina

EDIT The above statement is not mine-It is a quote from NC-20.

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 10-07-2011 at 10:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:32 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,115,594 times
i'm glad you brought this to my attention. After further research I have concluded that these NC-20 folks are lobbyists for the development community, whose only interests are what is good for coastal NC home builders.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:54 PM

572 posts, read 1,409,423 times
Get rid of the gov't subsidized flood insurance premiums and let the free market set the rates. Then let people build whatever they want to build on their privately owned coastal property as long at it meets code.

Problem solved.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:04 PM

...........and let the free market set the rates.
Music to my ears. Sure wish that song was sung in all industries.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
...........and let the free market set the rates.
Music to my ears. Sure wish that song was sung in all industries.
Yessir.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:34 AM

700 posts, read 1,438,271 times
Agree let the free market take the risk. At the same time FEMA should put in place. Zones that they would not have to provide loans or recovery assistance to replace any type of loss. And let the insurance companies charge what the market will bear and take the loss.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 PM

Let the free market take the risk.
I hope this isn't go off topic too much but this relates to the housing debacle.The government (Freddie & Fannie) set the standards for Government backed loans to the primary lenders. The Government told the banks sure-We'll back those signature loans. Sure, we'll back that loan with a credit score of 550.
The free market (lender) was being gauranteed by the Federal Government.
Get Government out. Let free enterprise/free market do its thing!
Bill

Old 10-08-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
Agree let the free market take the risk. At the same time FEMA should put in place. Zones that they would not have to provide loans or recovery assistance to replace any type of loss. And let the insurance companies charge what the market will bear and take the loss.
Yep you've got the right idea. Unfortunately right now the big water front homes usually get gov't subsidized insurance which comes out of your and my pockets. The free market would jack up those insurance rates for the property owner but would save the tax payers a bunch of money when a storm rolls through and tears stuff up. I got no beef with coastal development but I'm really not trying to pay some else's insurance premium.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:14 AM

700 posts, read 1,438,271 times
Yeah. I loved that excuse for an increase. I think that if you live on the edge you pay the price. Not those who do not wish to.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:37 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,759,419 times
I doubt tax payers would benefit one iota. Money not spent on flood damage would be wasted somewhere else. Welcome to the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina