U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:04 AM

285 posts, read 948,896 times

Advertisements

So, we just returned back to the Chapel Hill area from our annual vacation to Topsail Island, and I'm just kind of mildly curious as to what it might be like to settle there year-round. Are there people who make the long commute to the Wilmington area from Topsail? What is it like to live there? Is there actually any affordable (for us, that would be 350K and under) real estate in the area? I know- it's a pipe dream, and my line of work is in academia, so I'd have to look at UNCW, but I just adore my stay there every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 12:28 PM

1,810 posts, read 3,280,203 times
I live on the mainland 5 miles from the Surf City beach. It's affordable as long as you don't try to live right out on the barrier island. Many of my neighbors commute to Wilmington every day.

There's not much to do in the area except go to the beach. Well, people fish and golf but those don't interest me. No bike trails, nature trails, parks or any of that sort of thing that you get in cities.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:12 PM

843 posts, read 2,451,719 times
I lived up 17 some towards Jacksonville but I had a couple buddies who rented a house there for a few years. Well, until (I think it was Andrew) came through and washed the road completely away. Topsail is, in my opinion, the hidden gem of the east coast as far as beaches are concerned. Because of that I would think that you could still find something reasonable, especially up North Topsail away from the big hotels.

Are you set on a university? The commute to Wilmington shouldn't be that bad, especially coming from an area like Chapel Hill/RTP/RDU, but there is also Coastal Carolina Community College in Jacksonville if you're not opposed to something like that. There are also university representatives & professors from other states in the area for the Marines.

I just want to say, I don't blame you. I really miss Onslow County and Topsail (I moved away in '02) and have considered moving back a few times.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:36 PM

285 posts, read 948,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Are you set on a university? The commute to Wilmington shouldn't be that bad, especially coming from an area like Chapel Hill/RTP/RDU, but there is also Coastal Carolina Community College in Jacksonville if you're not opposed to something like that. There are also university representatives & professors from other states in the area for the Marines.

I just want to say, I don't blame you. I really miss Onslow County and Topsail (I moved away in '02) and have considered moving back a few times.
That's something to consider, I guess. I'm an academic librarian that has always worked at a larger university in sciences and engineering areas, but it's possible that there might be something for me in other settings.

I've vacationed at many beaches up and down the coast of NC, but there's something very special to me about Topsail Island that makes me keep returning. It has sort of a laid back, family oriented, down home, undiscovered vibe. I enjoy the fact that people of all income ranges vacation here- I don't care as much for the "posh" areas. And it's a relatively close drive to Wilmington.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Old 09-05-2007, 05:48 PM

16 posts, read 72,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaClaire View Post
That's something to consider, I guess. I'm an academic librarian that has always worked at a larger university in sciences and engineering areas, but it's possible that there might be something for me in other settings.

I've vacationed at many beaches up and down the coast of NC, but there's something very special to me about Topsail Island that makes me keep returning. It has sort of a laid back, family oriented, down home, undiscovered vibe. I enjoy the fact that people of all income ranges vacation here- I don't care as much for the "posh" areas. And it's a relatively close drive to Wilmington.

Thanks for the responses, guys!
Topsail does have that certain feel that is endearing and is more like what beach towns were before they were commercialized over the edge. We used to always go to Wrightsville Beach which is closer to us but have found it is worth the extra drive to go to Topsail, less congested and not wall to wall people on the beach. It also allows dogs on the beach year round. The community seems to do alot to get everyone involved.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:13 PM

36 posts, read 121,657 times
Default Topsail Island, NC

Hi! I currently live in Surf City on Topsail Island. I am a retired NC educator and my husband is a local realtor on the island. I find living in Surf City to be
very serene and relaxed. The tourist season from May til September steps up the traffic, but the beaches are never crowded. I live one block from a public beach access and a mile from the swing bridge.

I can always find something fun to do. I love the island, but enjoy the short drive to Wilmington and Jacksonville. Raleigh is only a two hour trip after getting on I-40. There are cultural entertainments galore, and most are very
affordable. Shopping is more varied in Wilmington, but Jacksonville shopping is
mostly in one area if you have lots of errands.

Our neighborhood is nice, with quite a few long-term residents. Of course, there are lots of homes for rent by the week that stay busy in the summer.
Long term rentals are available and affordable if you want to sample year-round island living before purchasing a home. Homes are available in every
price range and presently it is a buyer's market.

I would highly suggest the Pender Schools in the Topsail area. All of the
Topsail Schools, from elementary to high school rank high in all aspects.
NC has a site that gives "school report cards" for each of the 100 counties.

Hampstead is a growing community and is closer to Wilmington than Topsail,
but there they don't have what we have...the ocean. They do have the same
Topsail Schools to offer.

We moved here because we have always loved the area...and still do! I don't
like storms, but fortunately they are infrequent. Every area I have ever lived
in NC had storms, don't most places?

Personally, I don't care for really cold weather. We get excited when we see
snowflakes, but rarely have accumulation. The beaches are beautiful all year
long, and it's like having a beautiful place all to yourself as you walk along the
surf.

If I can answer any questions about our beautiful Topsail Island, please feel
free to ask.

Blessings!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 17,993 times
Default Topsail Rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecaptainsmate View Post
Topsail does have that certain feel that is endearing and is more like what beach towns were before they were commercialized over the edge. We used to always go to Wrightsville Beach which is closer to us but have found it is worth the extra drive to go to Topsail, less congested and not wall to wall people on the beach. It also allows dogs on the beach year round. The community seems to do alot to get everyone involved.

we are looking for a vacation rental at Topsail and we have stayed at Ocean Isle. My question is: Does anyone know why Topsail during the off season (April mainly) is so much cheaper than the other beaches? I don't mind if it is quiet it is myself, my husband and two teenage sons but we all love to just hang out at the beach and they golf.

I should also add I am specifically curious of the Island Drive area in the Ocean Ridge section. thanksl

Last edited by Burnzee88; 02-26-2008 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 12-18-2008, 09:14 PM

7 posts, read 63,526 times
There is nothing on the Carolina coast like Topsail Island. I have been looking at real estate there recently on a site called Welcome to ExploreTopsail.com and have found it very helpful. Good Luck!

Old 06-01-2015, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,594 times
Default Just a few questions if you don't mind....

[
Hi there, I was reading your post regarding Surf City and my family and I are wanting to move to that area or around that area. We currently live in Gar/Clayton NC. We only rent right now so we are hoping to find a rental that suites our needs. We would absolutely love it if we could find something on the beach but I know it will be difficult. We have a 14 year old daughter and I would like to find a really good school for her. She will be going into 8th grade after summer. We have two big dogs and I know that Topsail is very pet friendly. Do you have any suggestions as to who to talk too about rentals,schools etc.... ? I would love any help!!! thank you

QUOTE=Peppermintpatt;1494172]Hi! I currently live in Surf City on Topsail Island. I am a retired NC educator and my husband is a local realtor on the island. I find living in Surf City to be
very serene and relaxed. The tourist season from May til September steps up the traffic, but the beaches are never crowded. I live one block from a public beach access and a mile from the swing bridge.

I can always find something fun to do. I love the island, but enjoy the short drive to Wilmington and Jacksonville. Raleigh is only a two hour trip after getting on I-40. There are cultural entertainments galore, and most are very
affordable. Shopping is more varied in Wilmington, but Jacksonville shopping is
mostly in one area if you have lots of errands.

Our neighborhood is nice, with quite a few long-term residents. Of course, there are lots of homes for rent by the week that stay busy in the summer.
Long term rentals are available and affordable if you want to sample year-round island living before purchasing a home. Homes are available in every
price range and presently it is a buyer's market.

I would highly suggest the Pender Schools in the Topsail area. All of the
Topsail Schools, from elementary to high school rank high in all aspects.
NC has a site that gives "school report cards" for each of the 100 counties.

Hampstead is a growing community and is closer to Wilmington than Topsail,
but there they don't have what we have...the ocean. They do have the same
Topsail Schools to offer.

We moved here because we have always loved the area...and still do! I don't
like storms, but fortunately they are infrequent. Every area I have ever lived
in NC had storms, don't most places?

Personally, I don't care for really cold weather. We get excited when we see
snowflakes, but rarely have accumulation. The beaches are beautiful all year
long, and it's like having a beautiful place all to yourself as you walk along the
surf.

If I can answer any questions about our beautiful Topsail Island, please feel
free to ask.

Blessings![/quote]

Old 06-01-2015, 02:25 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missthebeach15 View Post
Hi there, I was reading your post regarding Surf City and my family and I are wanting to move to that area or around that area..... Do you have any suggestions as to who to talk too about rentals,schools etc.... ?
Hello - The post you responded to is over 7 years old. You will probably get some private messages from Realtors. I will also send you a message about the largest realtor on Topsail Island which handles many rentals. Houses rent for $1200-1400/month and up. You could also look at Militarybyowner.com for rentals, as the military folks seem to be more tolerant of big dogs. You probably will have to look inland of the beach to find a fenced yard for the dogs, however.

The Topsail schools get excellent ratings. The area is growing and obtaining more permanent residents. Good luck with finding a job.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-01-2015 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina