U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 02:18 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,359,443 times

Advertisements

Rising tide: Sea-level prediction questioned at coastal symposium

"Keynote speaker Robert Dean, a civil and coastal engineering professor emeritus from the University of Florida, shared his research and analysis showing the high end of the projected rise to be “virtually impossible. I believe it’s a tiny bit on the negative side.”

Sea-level prediction questioned at coastal symposium | coastal, sea, symposium - Rising tide - Sun Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 01:43 PM

812 posts, read 1,744,847 times
What's the big deal if sea levels rise 12-18 inches?
Nobody ever has explained how 12-18 inches, what it translates to.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:05 PM

11 posts, read 22,861 times
There's always a big political debate around beach 'renourishing'- which is basically pumping/replacing sand that is being moved out to sea by higher & higher ocean waters. What seemed to be a 3-5 year cycle is now yearly & more expensive to accomplish. How about that for an effect- especially when no one wants to pay taxes & that's where the renourishment monies come from....Climate change= loss of coastline/high $$ property.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,699,157 times
SORRY, BUT THIS IS A SPEECH
Ice is a movable object laying on immovable land, and ice also can turn into water according to my memory of chem class. Now, how much ice divided by ocean water and E equals MC2 plus multiplied by water equivlency charts close parenthesis will probably not equal the flooding we just may experience by ozone holes from autogunsmoke and hairspray letting unfiltered sunrays radiate our ice caps.

But I honestly don't think it takes rocket science (a worn term) to remember the wide beaches of the Fifties on the Outer Banks, where you almost couldn't see where the ocean was, and then watch my honeymoon hotel of the Seventies lean and crack into the ocean within the last decade, which those restaurant windows used to overlook sands where people even then still had enough room to fly kites.

I've heard SOOO many numbers of swelling ocean footage increase, from none to 25 feet, and the thing to take away from all this is, folks, my hometown, my ancestors' caskets, my university, my fav memories of beach time, will all be underwater IF WE DON'T DO SOMETHING ABOUT ruining our planet with unfettered high tech. If they know not what they do, fine, forgive. But if they know and do nothing, they are tromping on my stomping ground and I cannot believe Republicans are critqueing our green President about how a California electric car company that was gov funded decided to send a little cash to Europe to help them produce cars for not only America, but also for our whole wide world.

But not to feel guilty riding in our gas cars, for that is what we are provided by corps that have more control over D.C. than they do over their common senses, which incidentally the Prez modified Bush's bailout to make them pay us back. Now, if we could just get the banks to refinance some of THEIR money into new homeowner loans, at least we'd have a home to contribute to future underwater archaelologist discoveries. And don't get me started on Japan's tragedy, their stuff wound up in Oregon. THAT's the power of the ocean. GG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina