U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-24-2011, 08:02 AM
 
1,958 posts, read 2,635,176 times
Reputation: 1906

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_S View Post
I browsed another sites and forums and now I have a little doubt which I can call as "Climate isn't everything and Wilmington is not a welcoming place for strangers"

Just some opinions:
"Unfortunatley, the people were not, and still are not, tolerant of northerners (or anyone not born in Wilmington) unless you are a tourist spending money. They are very welcoming at that stage, but move here and it is a different story!! "

" They still celebrate that they are the last town in America to fight to conserve slavery and they are proud of it. That last statement pretty much sums up the real Wilmington. If you are coming to visit and spend money, they will be pleasant and tolerate you. If you come to stay and "steal their jobs" or "impose on your muticultural or northern ways" on their southern lifestyle, they will do everything they can to make you leave."


Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Is it true that Wilmington residents are not welcome to newcomers (even if they are caucasian), especially from another countries?
no, this is not true, posted by someone who must
have had a bad experience , this could happen anywhere.

our neighborhood has a mix of people from all over
the world and nobody has any problems.

can't fathom who would bother making
people feel unwelcome.
not the wilmington we have met since moving here
three years ago.
wilmington has grown due to people coming from all over.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 03:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2011, 08:52 AM
 
3,458 posts, read 3,112,867 times
Reputation: 1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_S View Post
I browsed another sites and forums and now I have a little doubt which I can call as "Climate isn't everything and Wilmington is not a welcoming place for strangers"

Just some opinions:
"Unfortunatley, the people were not, and still are not, tolerant of northerners (or anyone not born in Wilmington) unless you are a tourist spending money. They are very welcoming at that stage, but move here and it is a different story!! "

" They still celebrate that they are the last town in America to fight to conserve slavery and they are proud of it. That last statement pretty much sums up the real Wilmington. If you are coming to visit and spend money, they will be pleasant and tolerate you. If you come to stay and "steal their jobs" or "impose on your muticultural or northern ways" on their southern lifestyle, they will do everything they can to make you leave."


Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Is it true that Wilmington residents are not welcome to newcomers (even if they are caucasian), especially from another countries?
Wilmington gets a lot of people from the northeast US who come down here for the wrong reasons. They do not know what to expect, and so they never really make it beyond the "tourist" phase, even after 4 or 5 years. I think these folks complain whenever Wilmington doesn't change to meet their expectations.

In general there is a "transient" group of Americans from all corners who spend their lives moving from pillar to post in search of "the perfect place". To these types, the grass is always greener on the other side. Wilmington draws in a lot of people who have these unrealistic expectations that they're moving to some kind of wealthy, secluded, rural, subtropical paradise.

The comments on that website illustrate the mentality pretty well.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 03:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Morehead City, NC
1,676 posts, read 5,357,669 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Wilmington gets a lot of people from the northeast US who come down here for the wrong reasons. They do not know what to expect, and so they never really make it beyond the "tourist" phase, even after 4 or 5 years. I think these folks complain whenever Wilmington doesn't change to meet their expectations.

In general there is a "transient" group of Americans from all corners who spend their lives moving from pillar to post in search of "the perfect place". To these types, the grass is always greener on the other side. Wilmington draws in a lot of people who have these unrealistic expectations that they're moving to some kind of wealthy, secluded, rural, subtropical paradise.

The comments on that website illustrate the mentality pretty well.
Very well put and very true.
By the way-My wife is from Poland and has never encountered a single problem anywhere along coastal North Carolina for being foriegn born. In fact-quite the opposite. The accent usually intrigues people and causes them to ask where she is from.
What generates from the heart is what emanates out in the personality. That's what attracts or offends. It has been my experience that the majority of folks from coastal North Carolina have a kind & loving nature and will respond in kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 03:29 AM
 
Location: Apex, NC
13 posts, read 14,328 times
Reputation: 13
Thank you for your answers!
You really shatter my myth about southeners though NC is not a deep South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
4,654 posts, read 3,706,496 times
Reputation: 8652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_S View Post
Thank you for your answers!
You really shatter my myth about southeners though NC is not a deep South.
When people from overseas visit the Chicago area, they're expecting it to be all about Al Capone, the Windy City, the Sears (Willis) Tower, and deep dish pizza.

Even the Deep South isn't all Deep South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Apex, NC
13 posts, read 14,328 times
Reputation: 13
Vasily, are you originally from Russia?

And what about schools in Wilmington - are they good? I mean public schools. Are there ESL classes for newcomers kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
4,654 posts, read 3,706,496 times
Reputation: 8652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_S View Post
Vasily, are you originally from Russia?
No, but my mother was part Russian and I'm Russian Orthodox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Apex, NC
13 posts, read 14,328 times
Reputation: 13
It's amazing!
I am just wondering are there russian-speaking residents in Wilmington area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 05:26 PM
 
1,958 posts, read 2,635,176 times
Reputation: 1906
are you here now?

our neighbor is from russia , there must
be more than her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,401 posts, read 19,428,634 times
Reputation: 11284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_S View Post
Thank you for your answers!
You really shatter my myth about southeners though NC is not a deep South.
If you carried stereotypical images ("myths") about what Southerners are like, why did you choose the Southern US as a destination, in the first place, if you can work anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top