U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 10,764 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are moving to Greenville due to job offer. We are both females. And looking to find out about the gay community. We are not in your face type people, but dont hide that we are a couple.
Just looking for gay friendly areas..ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 05:22 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,179,766 times
I am not gay and do not keep up with gay culture here, but I would say yes. ECU/hospital brought in a lot of progressive people here. But I mean that hate can be found anywhere, just look at NCSU.

The Paddock was (supposedly) the first gay club east of Raleigh, or there abouts. So I would say you're fine.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:57 AM

166 posts, read 265,267 times
I would ammend that to say that the area is "tolerant" but not necessarily "friendly".
After living there for 5 years the gay focused tension seemed to ease, but IMO it has not "embraced" the gay community.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,118,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldygolfer50 View Post
My partner and I are moving to Greenville due to job offer. We are both females. And looking to find out about the gay community. We are not in your face type people, but dont hide that we are a couple.
Just looking for gay friendly areas..ty
I suggest contacting the Gay Community.
They have their own phone book now.
And being lesbian you would know that these groups
put substantial resources into 'safe places' for women.
That being the case I'm puzzled by the large percentage of gays
being transfered to or taking jobs in areas with homophobic reputations.
Do they not have a say in these things?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:56 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
I don't think any one is going to go out of their way to welcome you because you are gay, but I don't think anyone will care either. You can't fit in if you want to stand out!

Old 10-23-2011, 07:47 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,411,944 times
Greenville, being a college town and home of a new, highly-rated hospital (and thus having lots of educated people drawn there), is probably the most gay-friendly place east of Hwy 95, but it is still a small city surrounded by rural areas. You shouldn't be faced with any actual threats to your safety, but you may encounter some "cold shoulders". By and large, it should not be a significant issue. Where are you moving FROM? That will give an indication of what sort of community openness you are accustomed to and whether you will find the adjustment big or small? [I am a gay NC native living in Raleigh and am fairly familiar with Greenville's "scene", although my points of reference are a few years old.]

The closest "thriving" GLBT community is in Raleigh, a little over an hour away, but you shouldn't have trouble just living your lives in Greenville.

Feel free to send me a private message if you want (click on my name and "Send a Private message").

Old 10-25-2011, 01:48 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,178 times
From what I've seen it's farily accepted, even out in the country. The first time I saw an openly gay couple walking hand in hand was at the Greenville Town Commons. And I'm 53. I did see a lot of gays in Greenwich Village in NYC but that's a whole different culture there.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 14,898 times
Default Greenville gay friendly

I have also moved to Greenville over a year ago for a job opportunity. I would be happy to give you some you info on things to do in the area just send me a message

Old 10-29-2011, 12:06 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,411,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
That being the case I'm puzzled by the large percentage of gays
being transfered to or taking jobs in areas with homophobic reputations.
Do they not have a say in these things?
Being gay is only a small facet of most gay people's lives, and even "somewhat homophobic" areas are still generally safe to live in and go about your life. It wouldn't be wise to fly Rainbow flags or walk around holding hands in some places, but most gay people aren't going to do this, anyway; we do the same things in our day that anybody else would do--yard work, errands, work, leisure, etc.

In today's job market, a lot of people don't have a lot of choice about where they find a job, and might have to move to somewhere less gay-friendly than they might wish to, or else there are other reasons (weather, cost of living--the same reasons other people choose a new city) to move somewhere, but most places are not dangerous to simply live on a daily basis. That is not to say there aren't intolerant individual people who make it their business to be unfriendly or preachy to gay people, but those folks are found everywhere, even if they may have more "kindred spirits" in more rural areas and thus "get away with" more intolerant attitudes than someone in a larger metro area could. Most gay people do not feel the "need" to live somewhere such as San Francisco, NYC, etc. (if they do, they will probably move there) and instead work on living their lives, perhaps in the process shattering stereotypes and educating by example, or working from within to make the situation better.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 16,362 times
I grew up in Eastern North Carolina & I never had ANY problems. While I'm not flamboyant, I am pretty open about being gay. But, like anywhere, there are people who can be less than thrilled with gay people. Hospitality is a HUGE part of ENC and people are for the most part very friendly regardless of who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina