U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 04:16 PM

46 posts, read 102,840 times

Advertisements

We are very serious in considering Wilmington NC as our active retirement. We want to be in Wilmington ( not Leland , St James , etc ). Does anyone know of particular neighborhoods within the Wilmington NC city limits that would cater or be good to meet and socialize with other active retirees ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 06:33 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
I agree with the previous poster about Porter's Neck and Landfall. You could narrow down your choices by deciding whether you want a boating-oriented area or a golf community, whether you want to live in a vintage house or a brand-new one, whether you need one-level or two, etc., plus your price range. There are other areas along the water that are in smaller developments. There are many great choices, and I hope you find the right one.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:51 PM

15,061 posts, read 18,990,908 times
We are making a trip to the area to scope out the same things for our retirement home. Although we will be looking at SJP, southport, etc. But I do like the idea of remaining closer to Wilmington.

That said, we definately need a one story house. Strong preference for newer construction. Near water and a marina as we would like to get a boat. We are not Golfers, and are very happy to live in an HOA community. Budget $200-$350k. And we would definately consider a condo and a 55+ community.

Suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That said, we definately need a one story house. Strong preference for newer construction. Near water and a marina as we would like to get a boat. We are not Golfers, and are very happy to live in an HOA community. Budget $200-$350k. And we would definately consider a condo and a 55+ community.

Suggestions would be very much appreciated.
We had similar requirements. You might look at the Olde Point area in Hampstead, Scotts Hill Loop Road in the Pender County part of Wilmington, and Middle Sound Loop Road. They are close to the Intercoastal waterway. There were several new houses in your price range, eg, the Cottages at Holly Glen development. I don't think there are any age-restricted developments in Wilmington.

For condos, the Mayfaire Towne keeps turning up.

If I were looking today, I would look more seriously at Southport: the town center is lovely.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-29-2011 at 06:55 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 02:55 PM

1,953 posts, read 2,630,783 times
check out Motts Landing in
the southern part of New Hanover county.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:11 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,110,394 times
just as an FYI, the following suggestions aren't in the city limits.

Quote:
Porter's Neck
Motts Landing
Olde Point area in Hampstead
Scotts Hill Loop Road
Middle Sound Loop Road

Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
just as an FYI, the following suggestions aren't in the city limits.
I understand your point about city limits, but when the OP added in the requirement for a one-story, new construction house, then it's more difficult to find in their price range.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:16 AM

Op also needs to understand that a place
like Motts Landing[ although out of city limits] is only 15 minutes from downtown wilmington.
Porters neck area a bit further but
the city limits of wilmington are not cast wide .
In the south college area it is hard to spot where the city ends
and the county begins, it all looks like city .

I am not affiliated with Motts btw. but have watched it being
built and the homes are all one story brick, beautiful neighborhood,
a few minutes from river and not more than 15-20 minutes
from marinas.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I am not affiliated with Motts btw. but have watched it being
built and the homes are all one story brick, beautiful neighborhood,
a few minutes from river and not more than 15-20 minutes
from marinas.
I looked up The Village at Motts Landing, and it is very attractive. It's a master planned community, unlike some of the areas I mentioned. It is close to the hospitals and the Cape Fear River. It does not include a golf course, so that should keep the HOA fee lower. I found the models on Zillow, and they range from $340K to $450K, with lots of options like outdoor kitchens. If you are careful, you could stay within the OP's price range. It seemed to be only one builder- Premiere Homes which specializes in Active Adult homes.

Movedtothecoast-- Is the clubhouse actually built?

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-31-2011 at 12:19 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 03:19 PM

the pool is open , is the club house to be in the same area?
if so, it's also open.
I will check next time I go by.

it is only one builder , the houses look very attractive
with screened porches etc.
several small lakes in the neighborhood also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina