U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:18 PM

7 posts, read 35,445 times

Advertisements

Johnny Vereen is one of the nicest mayors money can buy. GIS vereen dmv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 07:18 AM

56 posts, read 196,324 times
If Oak Island crime rate is what you say, and you say you can't live there with a crime rate like that, then I don't know why you would live in Southport considering that it is less than 15 miles away, or St. James considering that their beach club is at Oak Island. Maybe you should look at Hilton Head and leave the "old persons crime ridden beach" area alone. Too many people know about it anyway. Yeah, Hilton Head, SC ... that is the way to go.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 14,089,206 times
Well I currently live less than 10 miles from South Central LA and I live in one of the nicest areas in the country. Beverly Hills starts less than 5 miles from South Central. Rancho Palos Verdes (similar to Beverly Hills) is right next to San Pedro which is full of crime and 5-10 miles from Compton. So, I don't really think I have much to worry about living 15 miles from a bad area. But, I've also decided not to move.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:30 PM

56 posts, read 196,324 times
It sounds like you have made the right choice for you comfort level.

My point above wasn't that Oak Island is a "bad area" I own a home there, and it is quite the opposite. The crime number might be high, but if you look close at the types of crimes that make up that number you will know quickly that it is far from South Central. There have been 2 murders in 10 years. One was a domestic case, one was drug related, although I doubt the intended for death to be a result (hasn't gone to trial yet), but anyway car theft can be a problem and if you leave your wallet or nice watch on a beach towel...well it might be gone. Break ins to rental homes when they are empty and drinking and driving, especially in the summer all take that crime number up. I really don't mind that number being high though, if people read it and decide not to come here...great. Just leaves more fish for me to catch, more shells for me to find and a quiet walk at sunset instead of a crowded one. Yeah, this place is no good...Hilton Head, now that is living!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:46 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,139,222 times
I lived on Oak Island for two years and it is a wonderful place to live and the beach is fantastic. You don't have to fight for a spot like in California and the water is warm. You can have your dog on the beach. Oak Island allow golf carts, scooter without license plates. It has so much to offer but the down fall is the Hurricane season. That is what you really should worry about. Just be prepare and ready. I have never had to leave the island while I lived there. Yes there is crime but not to the extreme that I gotta move. Look you will get crime in every town. Where I am living now in Missouri I have crime. It is definitly not like the ghetto ok. I lived in California all my life the L.A. area and Northern and Central parts of California. You have to come visit Oak Island before you make that judgement. Good Luck!!

Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 PM

76 posts, read 337,427 times
Oak Island has also gone by the nickname 'coke island'. There is a high amount of drug use there. However,I have not seen it to be a problem as far as violent crimes. They do have a very good police force. Prices went totally nuts a few years ago, and that is still affecting the real estate. For instance, I noticed all the concrete shacks that were built in the fifties, just tiny things that are a block from the ocean; I walk in this area everyday, and noticed they are still asking $400,000 for them. However, they aren't getting it like they were at the peak.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:34 PM

8 posts, read 27,211 times
We have owned a second home on Oak Island for 4 years. It is a wonderful, friendly,low crime town. Where did those crime statistics come from?

Old 12-12-2007, 06:14 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,139,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateyk12 View Post
Oak Island has also gone by the nickname 'coke island'. There is a high amount of drug use there. However,I have not seen it to be a problem as far as violent crimes. They do have a very good police force. Prices went totally nuts a few years ago, and that is still affecting the real estate. For instance, I noticed all the concrete shacks that were built in the fifties, just tiny things that are a block from the ocean; I walk in this area everyday, and noticed they are still asking $400,000 for them. However, they aren't getting it like they were at the peak.
That is first I have heard of Oak Island called coke town. I am curious why? I used to live across from a drug dealer but had not problem with crime and the neighborhood was a great place to live. I live next door to folks that was born and raised on the island. So I am not sure coke town is appropiate.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,368 times
I live in Carolina Place off Long Beach Road; here the property owners association is makeing it a "gated community" like at St. James, and the other "Plantation" mentality places, with guards (armed?). Few here are wealthy, but one lady from California says dues there are $300, ours are nothing--she does not mind. A middle-aged woman who also was glad off it; saying it was well know up and down the coast, that Carolina Place was a drug haven.

I read the newspapers closely, and except for two cases (which I did not see in the papers either); I'm not aware of all the drug activity. I pointed out that we are to become a part of mainland Oak Island; and will be paying for those police, too.

Is Carolina Place really known up and down the coast as a drug haven? If so, I too am for the gates and (armed?) guards. But I'm skeptical it's true?

Old 12-25-2007, 06:55 PM

720 posts, read 1,484,718 times
I visited Carolina Place a couple of times about 2-3 years ago. It was a very attractive neighborhood of smaller homes. Brand spanking new, reasonably priced.
Now Brunswick County has a very active anti-drug enforcement team, and they do publicize when there are arrests---we went there once or twice a year from 1989 to 2005, and I never felt I was in a "druggy" area. And we were out and about night and day. We always felt safe. That being said, I would not wander about the beach alone at 3AM--but then, I wouldn't do that anywhere else, either.
Drugs are everywhere---most places just cover it up or pretend it doesn't exist. My son (we're in CT) tells me it's easier to buy heroin than pot here. I think you have to take the same precautions no matter where you live--assess your neighborhood, be aware of what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina