U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2007, 12:16 PM

578 posts, read 1,879,102 times

Advertisements

Hi.
I recently came back from my trip to NC's Outer Banks.
That place is beautiful, but you know I also find the scenery of 168 and 158, when there is not traffic, to be pleasant.

I enjoy the feeling of being deep in the country and culture, away from the sprawl.
I really hate though the 30 mile backs up.

I had a few questions

1) How do locals deal with the delays on weekends during beach season?
-I know it is not a developed area but nonetheless 158 is the sole main road, how can those living there bere to deal with the backups?

2) The mid currituck bridge, is it going to be built?
-If so given it will have a high toll do you think it is going to lead to a lot of sprawl or short and long term is 168/158 going to keep it's character intact?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 02:51 PM

520 posts, read 2,287,965 times
Here's information from the North Carolina Turnpike Authority:

Mid-Currituck Bridge

It also appears there are currently funds available for construction.

NCDOT 2007-2013 State Transportation Improvement Program - Division 1

Old 08-31-2007, 07:19 PM

90 posts, read 311,300 times
THANKS, IT IS A BEAUTIFUL AREA. tHE TRAFFIC , WELL YOU JUST HAVE TO PLAY THE TIMING GAME. If your going to the outerbanks then get up earlier and head out before 10 am and if your heading toward VA THEN DON'T leave early. Because the Sat and Sunday traffic is bad only certain times of the day. Mostly all the week renters check out early Sat and Sunday and head north so we don't go north early SAT OR SUN. The check ins don't start till 3 pm, so the traffic gets worse going south around 12:30.so we don't go south LOL. Its REALLY NOT SO BAD , if you know some of the back roads and the worse is trying to make a turn and have to cross (Damn yankees won't let nobody in lol..... Hee hee i am a yankee and love it here) Years ago before they added the second bridge it was horrible, with backups 1/2 way up the county. Now there are alot of cars at certain times of the day but traffic is still moving. Its a great place to live, seems like alot of people think so because they are coming to Currituck COUNTY LOW TAXES!!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,993 times
not everything about the bridge is great. the bad parts are mainly dealing with the change in ecosystem, birds that have migrated here for decades will be very largely impacted by the bridge and some of the locals that have been here for generations like my family will be affected by this change. basically the only people that really want the bridge are the tourists and so called "locals" who generally buy houses, rent them out and sometimes spend a pleasant trip to their new "home" once or twice a year get upset that they could t figure out to leave before the traffic got bad and decided they should spend a lot of our money fixing the problem so they don't have spend more time leaving when they want. i admit if i ever feel the need to go to currituck or maby Virginia it will help. quite honestly the OBX has grown up way to fast and its so alienated now its probably to late to save anything of the quiet peaceful easygoing place it once was.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:36 AM

6 posts, read 66,785 times
AKMROSS:

While I agree with you that the area has grown up very fast (particularly Duck, Corolla, and 4x4 areas), I think blaming those that build a house for spending "our money" is probably the wrong approach. If you want to trace the money, drive out US-64 to Raleigh and visit Marc Basnight. The President of the NC Senate is from Manteo and he'll spend any amount of money that will move people from Raleigh or VA Beach to Dare / Currituck County. This is a guy that can get a 4-lane highway in the Dismal Swamp and Alligator River, 2 US-64 bridge, 2 158 bridges, and any state funds they want.

There is a price for everything, we've been lured with low property taxes to promote development and ownership, while income is generated from rentals and resort taxes. And lets not start on the birds and environmental issues with groups suing the park service on Hatteras Island. The bridge will be here in 2012, like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina