U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 03:54 PM

43 posts, read 55,098 times

Advertisements

OK, here I go.

I live in Florida, for the past 9 years...don't care for it. I am unemployed for the last 2 years.
Most of the posts I have read here are regarding schools. I have no children, I am a very YOUNG 56 years old. I'm from California and would like to return there, but know it is too expensive. I do not have a degree. I don't have a job here and since my career did not exist in Florida, I have had one crummy job after the next, making my resume less than desirable, even if I have the skills. Therefore, don't think I am in my major earning potential anyway. I have friends in Wilmington, albeit a couple and have visited them...like the area.

Now that all of the not so pretty demographics have been revealed, I am baffled at the people in the forums saying, "have a job before you move." Hellloooo. Did anyone stating this check the economy and unemployment rates lately? I guess I can be unemployed anywhere, and would LOVE to find gainful employment.

I truly miss the mountains and have considered Asheville, and since I've always lived by the ocean I wonder how I'd do inland. It is scary to think about moving alone at my ripe "young" age and still really want to leave Florida.

I want to look out of my window and see beauty. I want to see fall foliage, and wear my sweaters again. And NC is close enough that a move will not cost me an arm and a leg.

So is there something I'm missing about Wilmington? Is Asheville better? Should I consider the triangle...and how much snow is there actually?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 04:21 PM

28,494 posts, read 62,136,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daintylu1 View Post
I am unemployed for the last 2 years...
I am baffled at the people in the forums saying, "have a job before you move."
You're baffled by this suggestion? Truly?

Take a look though this:
North Carolina unemployment rates, county-by-county :: WRAL.com

hth

Old 11-03-2011, 04:52 PM

Default Oh yeah!

Monsieur Rational

And your point is??? Just slightly catty...meow! It's a question of where to live.

South Florida unemployment falls, but could rise again - South Florida Business Journal

Old 11-03-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
And your point is?
Beyond the obvious?
The old saying about fences and lawns comes to mind.

Whatever it is that you dd the most or the best over the last 30 years find someone
willing to pay you to do that now. Wherever that might be then becomes your destination.

hth

Old 11-03-2011, 05:16 PM

431 posts, read 1,011,741 times
How do you plan on paying rent without a job?

Old 11-03-2011, 05:33 PM

Or the grass is always greener??? I want to leave Florida...I never wanted to live here....let's not go there. Point is, I'm leaving.

Hey, want to be my cheerleader...how does that work when resume longevity is not impressive? I can DO anything...just can't get past the resume in the round file. Is your idea to move wherever the money pays? Don't think that the money is the issue...at least not immediately. Trying to put my center brain in LEFT...hence the inquest.

I have an income of....not damn much. I learned how to live on not much also. As far as unemployment is concerned...can't I be unemployed here and unemployed there???

Thoughts?

Old 11-03-2011, 05:39 PM

BTW had to look up HTH...love the second definition....
C'mon...you have the cold hard fax. I want devil's advocate. I want honest people who really hate these places or love them. Definitely open to discussion...I'm going to do it...I've done it before, but I'm not 23 anymore ( just a few years older). Apprehensive, or I wouldn't be here!

Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I'm going to do it... I've done it before, but I'm not 23 anymore
( just a few years older). Apprehensive, or I wouldn't be here!
The places aren't the issue.
The ability to earn is.

You can be poor or even broke anywhere...
but no where is easier than where you already are.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:24 PM

I'm not looking for easy. Want something new...you are stubborn with not much backup

Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 PM

431 posts, read 1,011,741 times
MrRational is just pointing out the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina