U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 04:19 PM

393 posts, read 1,741,762 times

Advertisements

Robin, where in OR are u, I am looking to relocate out that way......??? I am in the central part of NC. I am looking into retiring either in OR, ID, or CO. I am visiting next month..........cannot wait!

I am extremely concerned about finding a home out there that I can afford on my menial wages.........lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 07:04 PM

110 posts, read 416,041 times
I live in NW Oregon, about an hour southwest of Portland. Housing prices have skyrocketed in the past few years but seems to be slowing down a little now. I live in a small town (Yamhill), and housing here is much more affordable than in the suburbs. The average price of most homes on the market now in my town is right around 200K. Portland is closer to 300K. The further you go from Portland, the less expensive real estate becomes. If you do a search on Realtor.com, you can get a pretty good idea of prices. I like the area I'm in - it's close enough to the suburbs to have lots to do, but still very rural. Oregon is somewhat unique in that all the towns (at least around Portland) have "urban growth boundaries", beyond which they can't develop. So it's like one minute you're in the city, the next you're in the country. Not a lot of sprawl between towns like some urban areas. The coast is also pretty much undeveloped except in the towns. It is very beautiful out here. We are in a valley between the Cascade mountains and the Coastal range. The coastal range actually provides a little bit of "rain shadow" protection, and we don't get nearly as much rain as they get right on the coast, or further to the east. The east side of Portland is very different from the west - they get more rain, wind, and ice as you get into the western foothills of the Cascades. And if you live east of the Cascades, it's a whole different world - desert, lots of cattle and cowboys! Our yearly average rainfall here is somewhere around 30", most of which is between October and May. Summers are very dry - we typically have about a 3 month drought every year. Humidity is often below 20%. Which means if you don't water your yard, everything dries up and dies! It's very lush and green in the winter and spring, tho. People complain about the rain but after 3 months of nothing but sun, I'm usually glad to see it come back. It's refreshing. And it's not always rainy in the winter, tho it is usually cloudy. We seldom get thunderstorms, rain is frequently a light mist. It's very unusual to get an inch or more of rain in one day. When the sun pops out in the winter, it's called a "sunbreak" - a term you'll hear in weather forcasts. "Rain on Wednesday, showers Thursday and Friday with some sunbreaks" I never knew before I moved here that there was a difference between rain and showers. And sunbreaks in winter are often accompanied by rainbows! I never saw so many rainbows till I moved out here. Temps are relatively mild most of the time, tho there can be some extremes. We broke records this summer with a couple days of 106F weather - very unusual! But a lot of people don't have air conditioning because those days are not the norm. More often, temps in the summer are in the 80's - 90's is considered hot. (but it's a dry heat Winters seldom get below 15 - 20 for a low during an "arctic event", more often it's in the 30's - 50's. West of the coastal range it hardly ever gets below freezing, but boy do they get the rain! (I think Astoria averages over 100 inches a year).

I don't know much about Idaho or Colorado, or how they would compare to here. I know of people from here that have retired to Idaho because real estate prices are lower there, as long as you're not in a resort town like Coeur d'Alene. It is also very beautiful there, but much, much colder in the winter. (As I'm sure Colorado is, too). I definitely want to come back here to retire. If it weren't for this job opportunity, I wouldn't consider moving. But if I stay in my present job, it's very unlikely that I'll be able to get my house paid off before retirement, which is a high priority goal for me. Anyway, best of luck to you!

Old 08-23-2007, 04:03 PM

9 posts, read 33,954 times
Robin,

I found out today the appreciation last year in Greenville was 15.5%. Look at this site locateincarolina.com ... Cool website... lots of facts.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:36 PM

9 posts, read 33,954 times
check out this site too www.pittcountynbc.gov (broken link)!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:44 PM

16 posts, read 69,891 times
If you are used to living in a small town then that won't be a turn off for you moving to the areas you are considering. I don't live in the Greenville area, but I dated someone who did for many many years so I spent many weekends in that area.

If you are keen on seeing appreciation in your property then I would consider trying to find something closer to the coast and on the water. Now for a commute to areas south of Greenville, your only choice is Washington (for the "on the water" choices). Or if you are working closer to Kinston you may want to consider New Bern? It depends on how much of a commute you want.

If being close or on the water is out of the question then your best bet for an increasing property value is to be closer to Greenville. The home prices in Winterville have increased over the past few years. I know someone who bought in a home in a new development right in Winterville about 3-4 years ago. Her home has increased in value by about $30-$40k. Just be smart about what price range you buy in and the location/neighborhood. But, also keep in mind that there are many new developments popping up all around Greenville (and especially in Winterville) so that could dilute the market and property appreciation.

Personally, I would look for an older home with character in any of the little small towns outside of Greenville (Winterville, Ayden, etc.) and fix it up. There are only so many of those types of homes around and I would think they would be a desireable alternative, upon resale, from all of the cookie cutter stuff going up everywhere else. Just my 2-cents. Good luck.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,830 times
I am southportbob@yahoo.com. I currently live in North Carolina (Southport - - - near Wilimgton) and am thinking of moving to Greenville. Oregon. Is the weather OK, 8 or 9 months of the year. I like the trees, rivers & creeks. I am retired so I don't need to look for a job. I don't mind being snowed in for a couple of months. I will check out Winterville, Oregon.

North Carolina is fine, if you like the Southeast, but my Kids & Grand Children live in Sacramento - - - from Greenville I could visit a couple of times a year.
Houses are reasonable down here - - - I live on a Lake, with a pier - - - six miles from the beach & will sell for 350 to 400K, but there are many homes for 100 to 150K in the area.
Later, Bob Tucker

Old 10-05-2009, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,261 times
You should check out Greene County. The Walstonburg area is a good location. There are homes available in town and in the rural areas. Snow Hill is the county seat and there are some homes available there too. Just get a realtor in the county that is familiar with the area. We moved to the Walstonburg area from Raleigh and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina