U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 04:31 PM

69 posts, read 424,619 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the extra suggestions! I will definetly check out the Fort Fisher walking trail. Sounds like an awesome place to relax and take a nice peaceful walk. I definetly need that after my first week of being a new School Counselor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 09:51 AM

16 posts, read 72,702 times
Default Poplar Grove Plantation

Poplar Grove Plantation 10200 U.S. Hwy. 17, Wilmington, NC. Nice place to visit. It is on 17N of Wilmington just past Porters Neck. There website seems to be down http://www.poplargrove.com or at least I can't get to the link today. On Wednesday mornings they have a Farmers Market and periodically there are events going on there. You can sign up for some classes in things like basket weaving, forget all they offer. At the end of the parking area is a nice area not many people know about it seems to walk through the woods on nice big open trails, ponds and benches. Very nice and quiet place to walk. We take our dog there for walks.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 15,484 times
I lived across from G. Lake for 2 years, in Sunset Park. Some of those areas are a bit shady, I recommend not walking around the lake alone or without mace if you're a female. NEVER walk around that area or be near the park at night. Very shady people, there have been times I was very worried and I was well armed. There have been rapes and assaults. There are definitely alligators, but they are mainly a danger to small children and dogs who might be near the edge of the lakes, not sure why this would happen much, but apparently people don't watch their children. I've only seen an alligator from over the big bridge where people fish and feed turtles. He was about 6 ft long. Alligators don't come onto land and attack people that aren't messing around like morons. The walk around the lake doesn't even take you into the danger zone where alligators might come onto the banks.
THis is a beautiful walk/park during the day and lots of people walk/run and walk their dogs and families ride bikes. Just don't be there at odd times, like anyplace!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:58 AM

116 posts, read 489,698 times
Smile Great trail in Carolina Beach

Have you tried the trails at the Carolina Beach State Park (the only state park in NH county)? If not, I highly recommend Sugarloaf Dune...magnificent natural views and only 3 miles long (you can extend the hike by combining other paths). You can make a day of it by also taking in the Fort Fisher trail as well.

http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/cabe/cabe.jpg (broken link)

Division of Parks and Recreation--Carolina Beach State Park, Park fees (http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/cabe/fee.html - broken link)

PS. It's great seeing all the suggestions here.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,112 times
I visited greenfield park today for the first time in 7 years and was very disappointed. Being from up north where EVERYTHING is dirty it was nice when i moved here because its clean and green. Greenfield park however dissapointed me a lot today when i saw beer bottles and blunt wrappers in the gazebo near the bridge and the amount of misc. trash that was in the lakes edge where the ducks are swimming. It's disgusting. I feel like just because the people on that side of town dont care that their yards a full of trash and nastiness its not fair the rest of is have to suffer when trying to enoy the park. I say keep your trash in your own yard!!

Old 02-24-2008, 06:02 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,355,686 times
greenfield lake park is ok. it is great during the daylight hours. after dark, it can be shady. it has a cool skate park for kids and some playground equipment. they get mad when you try to feed the ducks though, cause that attracts the gators!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina