U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 04:32 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,348,953 times

Advertisements

We stopped by there today and I got some pictures.

Here they are: Greenfield Park In Wilmington NC

We also went up and I showed my hubby the house we tried to buy (the one we are in is not our first choice, she didn't want to budge on the price and I couldn't meet her price) but while up there, we saw some tobacco fields.

Now, tobacco fields USE to be VERY common here in NC but they are disappearing. And many of our northern transplants may never have actually seen the crop that made NC famous: Photos Around The Area

Enjoy! Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 09:40 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,640,349 times
Greenfield Lake is nice, me and the lady friend went out there a few Sunday mornings ago and played w/ the dog, read the paper, etc.

I remember reading how Wilmington has never spent time and $$ on parks, because the beaches were so close. Airlie Gardens is on my to-do list, as well as the aquarium.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:35 PM

700 posts, read 2,941,891 times
Hugh McRae is a nice park also and in a safer area than Greenfield.I hate to keep talking about the crime,but there has been quite a bit around the Greenfield Park area since we've been living here,so just be careful.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:31 PM

69 posts, read 424,529 times
I love Greenfield Park. It is just so amazing with the lake and all. That drive around Lakeshore Drive is nice too.

Hugh McRae park and Arlie Gardens are definetly on my to do list now too now that I finally live here! I love Orton Plantations too.....very beautiful and peaceful place.

Any other suggestions??

Old 08-28-2007, 06:54 PM

16 posts, read 72,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJill View Post
I love Greenfield Park. It is just so amazing with the lake and all. That drive around Lakeshore Drive is nice too.

Hugh McRae park and Arlie Gardens are definetly on my to do list now too now that I finally live here! I love Orton Plantations too.....very beautiful and peaceful place.

Any other suggestions??

If you like walking and nature and some history you might like to walk the trail located next to the Fort Fisher Vistors Center. It is a nice long walk, through the trees and plants, along the ocean, and then onto a raised boardwalk and paths that ends at an observatory deck at the tip of the island. Lots of birds to watch and a very peaceful place. You also pass an old bunker that was lived in by a hermit, Robert Harrill, ~Bella’s Life on the Island~ Blog Archive The Fort Fisher Hermit

Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,281,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJill View Post

Any other suggestions??
The Arboretum on Oleander is worth visiting; you can get an idea what plants can be grown in the area and it's nice to walk around, plus the admission is free.

Oakdale Cemetery also makes a nice walk.

I agree with Florida 15 about the crime in the Greenfield Lake area, I've encountered some really shady characters around there. Plus I've seen alligators twice!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Plus I've seen alligators twice!
Well, they DO have signs posted warning you they are there. So I am not surprised you might see them. Liz

Old 08-30-2007, 01:28 PM

1,408 posts, read 7,394,662 times
beautiful pictures liz. greenfield park is beautiful except for the alligator. but i LOVE turtles! The tobacco field pictures are the first time I've ever seen them, thank you. Beautiful looking plants.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
The tobacco field pictures are the first time I've ever seen them, thank you. Beautiful looking plants.
And at the rate this country is going, we won't see them for much longer. Not that I am an advocate for smoking (just the opposite, I HATE smoking) but I am sorry to see a plant disappear. Maybe something else can be found to do with it someday. Liz

Old 08-31-2007, 01:21 PM

700 posts, read 2,941,891 times
Alligators don't bother me that much because I lived in Florida for fifteen years.I've even held a small one with it's mouth taped up and sat on top of a large one with it's mouth taped up as well(fun photos!)The crime I've read and heard about in that area really does bother me though.It's a shame you can't really enjoy the lake and park comfortably without having to be concerned about the safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina