U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 02:14 PM

19 posts, read 22,696 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who moved to this area with her new husband. She is encouraging me to move out of MN and the oppressive weather.

What's it like there? Are there RN jobs? (There are none here unless you are already employed). Also, my son is of mixed heritage, is this a problem? (I am a single parent for the most part).

What are salaries/cost of living like?

Thanks for any feedback...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:12 PM

431 posts, read 1,011,741 times
According to city-data, there are three hospitals within 35 miles. It's definitely more of a summer area in my opinion. I can't imagine there being a lot to do. But the area is nice.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:08 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,355,882 times
Pine Knoll Shores (PKS) is on an island called Bogue Banks. Other towns on Bogue Banks include Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle. Access to the island is via two bridges. One bridge is located (mainland) in Cape Carteret (Cape C). The other in Morehead City.

Carteret General Hospital is located in Morehead (MHD): Carteret General Hospital
Housing costs are approx. half (and less) in MHD & Cape C compared to PKS.

Although tourism is the driving force we are still a year round community. We no longer roll up the sidewalks and lock the doors the day after labor day.

Most of our towns and cities are just like any other small town and city. For a lot of us residents tourism is incidental. (I bet that'll evoke a comment or two)
Bill

Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,860,640 times
Pine Knoll Shores is gorgeous, it's set in maritime forest and on days like today when the temps approach the 70's, it's delightful to be so close to the beach and sound. Traffic during the summer tourist season can be frustrating at times...

Maybe you want to see which hospital has need of your services and then make a geographic decision? You can always rent for a year before deciding to buy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina