U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 05:49 AM

11,295 posts, read 19,869,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie jovans View Post
Looking to buy now for a move in about 4 years.... coming from Long Island NY... love the water, boating etc... need a good school for our son (now age 5)...Any recommendations? We are looking at Hampstead on or near Intercoastal water.... ADVICE???
I would concur with Hampstead, but Newport and Dare County also have good schools.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-02-2014 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 10:29 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,374,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie jovans View Post
Looking to buy now for a move in about 4 years.... coming from Long Island NY... love the water, boating etc... need a good school for our son (now age 5)...Any recommendations? We are looking at Hampstead on or near Intercoastal water.... ADVICE???
Just about anywhere on the Intercoastal will give you a good school district in New Hanover or Pender County.

The Topsails...South, North and regular are all perfectly good, as you get into New Hanover you could be at Ogden, Wrightsville Beach, or Parsley...all considered great.

Murrayville (just below Pender Co line), Bradley Creek (just south of Wrightsville Beach), Bellamy (Monkey Junction) and Anderson (before Carolina Beach) are good, but not considered great. Carolina Beach is above average. Here's a map for context...

SchoolSite Locator

I would put my 7 year old in any of them.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,192 times
Hi, my Son, daughter-in-law, and 2 young grandsons are being transferred to Marine base, (career Coast Guard). They are looking for a family oriented neighborhood, good schools, activities and a good real estate agent! My daughter-in-law is a waitress. This Grandma wants them to find a great neighborhood, great friends and safe for the boys! Help! Away from base housing for the first time in 14 years!

Old 01-04-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmom-4 View Post
Hi, my Son, daughter-in-law, and 2 young grandsons are being transferred to Marine base, (career Coast Guard).
Do you mean Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville? They could live in a place like Carolina Forest in Jacksonville or Hubert or Swansboro. There are also numerous previous threads on this topic:
What areas near camp lejeune are good for young family to live?
Advice on where to live near Camp Lejeune
Towns surrounding Camp Lejeune?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:39 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,838,046 times
As you'll see by clicking on the links provided, I'm the biggest proponent of if you work in Jacksonville there is no need to live an hour away. I'm assuming your son is going to be working at the JMTC which is out at Courthouse Bay on Lejeune whihc is close to the Sneads Ferry gate.That's going to give you about a 30 minute commute or more from anywhere in Jacksonville you'd want to live except maybe the Southwest/Verona/Haws Run area. The most convenient area to hi job would be Sneads Ferry, but those schools are falling apart, and though I'm sure the kids would do fine there, the worst in the county. Also with your son being in the Coast Guard, if he finds he likes the area and his job allows, when his time is up at the JMTCC he can transfer to the Coast Guard station in Wilmington. Being a 17 year veteran I'm sure this will be his last or close to his last tour. All of these things push to me recommend Hampstead. Still about a 30 minute or so trip to Courthouse Bay, but much better schools, closer to WIlmington which is a popular retriree destination. If he does have another tour in him, would allow him to get transferred to Wilmington and not have to move his family. A place that should he decide to stay put once he retires would have all of the things most retirees would look for.

Special Missions Training Center
Joint Maritime Training Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Courthouse Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=court...ed=0CAoQ_AUoAg

Old 01-05-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
All of these things push to me recommend Hampstead. Still about a 30 minute or so trip to Courthouse Bay, but much better schools, closer to WIlmington which is a popular retriree destination.
As always, macjr82 give excellent advice from an insider's view. I will second the endorsment of better schools in Hampstead/Surf City in Pender County versus the Dixon schools in Onslow County. Of course, the real estate taxes in Pender County are a bit higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina