Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:15 PM

5 posts, read 21,255 times

Advertisements

Using my husbands log in ID.

We are looking for advise on what areas are best to raise children on the east coast of NC. We are currently in FL, previously from Sugar Grove, NC. While we absolutely loved the mountains, I'm a whimp when it comes to driving after a snowfall unless it's flat land . So we are hoping to find the same type of small town atmosphere as we had up the mountain. Our children are our main priority and I am very disappointed in the school systems in FL. As well as the overall standard of living.

Here is what we are looking for:

• Public school system with a decent level of academic achievement.
  • Small town/country atmosphere.
  • Within 30-45 minutes of the coast and/or a large fresh water lake for our boat.
  • Low crime.
  • Job prospects for someone with an AA in Health Information Technology or Cancer registrar. (Will drive up to 30 miles)
  • Job prospects for a construction worker with 30 years experience. Or handyman work, as he is looking to slow down in this dying field.
  • Civil war history.
  • Fresh seafood and BBQ.
Am I asking too much? lol

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probuilder2004 View Post
Am I asking too much? lol
Well, we have plenty of fresh seafood and BBQ. Perhaps you should read thru the forum and search on "relocation". About two dozen other posters have asked the same questions in the last 6 months, and been given the same advice-- concentrate on locating a job first. Any place you can find a job is probably a good place to raise a family. I suggest looking at Jacksonville, Newport, Havelock for military-related positions. They are building lots of homes around Jacksonville, so there may be good opportunities in construction and handy-man work. I think the Outer Banks will have limited job possibilities, but you might try running your own business.

The main city-data site has statistics on crime and hospitals. Just go to www.city-data.com and search on the towns you are interested in.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The main city-data site has statistics on crime and hospitals. Just go to www.city-data.com and search on the towns you are interested in.

Thank you goldenage1. I have been reading a lot of other posts, as well as utilizing the main site for statistics. I will continue my research and hope for the best.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:08 PM

102 posts, read 341,765 times
When you figure it out let me know! LOL We've been looking at the coastal areas in NC too and have 4 young kids. It sounds like we're looking for the same type of city

Old 12-08-2011, 09:11 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
There are general excpetions to this (medicore to bad school systems with a couple of standout schools, Good ones with a few mediocre ones), but in Coastal NC your best family orientated areas, to include schools, are Carteret, Craven, Dare, and New Hanover.

I'd say the area that meets most of your crtieria would be east of New Bern through to West Havelock. No lakes, but large creeks and rivers. You could have your boat on the Neuse or Trent River, or Brice's or Tucker Creek, for example. Living there you have the medcial facilities in New Bern, but could in a strecth work in Greenville as well. You ar also about 30-45 min from the ocean in addition to local water access at the afore mentioned rivers and places like Flanner's Beach Neuse River (Flanners Beach) Campground Reviews || Tripleblaze.com Camping & Hiking Less than an hour from any construction jobs in Craven, Carteret, and Onslow counties. Onslow and Craven being where the bases are and Carteret between them.

For schools, this area gives you access to for elementary:
Brinson Memorial Elementary School - New Bern, North Carolina - NC - School overview
W Jesse Gurganus Elementary School - Havelock, North Carolina - NC - School overview

For middle school you'll have:
Tucker Creek Middle School - Havelock, North Carolina - NC - School overview

For high school you'll have the option of:
Havelock High School - Havelock, North Carolina - NC - School overview
Craven Early College High School - New Bern, North Carolina - NC - School overview
Early College East High School - Havelock, North Carolina - NC - School overview

Civil War History (all within an hour except maybe Bentonville which is more like 1.5):
Battle of New Bern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bentonville Battlefield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CSS Neuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Battle of Wyse Fork - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fort Macon State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://goldsboroughbridge.com/index.html

Just about all of the Civil War sites in NC are along the coast, in general:
http://www.nccivilwar.com/nc_civil_war_sites.asp

Old 12-08-2011, 09:40 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
Newport/MHC is another great option, really, there is not much difference in the area outside of the name once you cross the bridge leaving New Bern until you cross the bridge entering Beaufort/ MHC has definitely outsripped New Bern as the retail center of the area. Still every aprt has one thing are another that's different enough that locals basically go back and forth from New Bern to MHC depending on what you're doing.

Elementary:
Morehead City Primary School - Morehead City, North Carolina - NC - School overview
Newport Elementary School - Newport, North Carolina - NC - School overview
Middle:
Broad Creek Middle School - Newport, North Carolina - NC - School overview
Newport Middle School - Newport, North Carolina - NC - School overview
Morehead City Middle School - Morehead City, North Carolina - NC - School overview
High:
West Carteret High School - Morehead City, North Carolina - NC - School overview
Croatan High School - Newport, North Carolina - NC - School overview

In general, real estate will be more expensive in Carteret because you are closer to the ocean, there are always deals to be found though.

Outside of that the main disadvantage of Carteret for your wants is that it may be slightly harder for you to find work. I think your sweet spot would be eastern Craven on through to Newport. Another thing about these communties is how they are so youth focused. I hope this info helps you on your search.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I'd say the area that meets most of your crtieria would be east of New Bern through to West Havelock.
macjr82, Thank you for the information you provided. I really do appreciate it. We've moved from MI to FL to NC, back to FL and are now about to move once again. I would like to make this the last, so research and opinions from locals is very important. Out of the 3 states, I enjoyed NC the most, with regards to friendly neighbors, beautiful state, laid back, and much more.

After rereading my post just now, it seems to me that we may be considered halfbacks x2 lol.

I also forgot to mention, my husband was a volunteer firefighter in both MI and when we previously lived in NC. This may be another option for him to look into, since he has all of the certifications needed for NC.

adamnlisa, Not sure I will ever figure it out, but will give it my best shot . macjr82 posted some great info and links on schools in his post.

Thanks everyone!
Susan

Old 12-09-2011, 05:50 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
After living in New Bern for four years, I would recommend Newport as the best place to raise a family, simply because it is closer to the coast than New Bern, but not so far as to be a real long trip to New Bern for medical and a short jaunt to MHC for shopping.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times
If you are bound and determined to move to coastal NC be sure to research all of the public schools. Right now we live in New Bern and my son attends Creekside Elementary which I have been happy with and is a Honor School Of Excellence. However, both the middle school and high school here in NB are BELOW average. Thankfully we will be relocating before the end of this school year. Best of Luck.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,117 times
Default buying in hampstead nc (vacation / future move with 1 child)

Looking to buy now for a move in about 4 years.... coming from Long Island NY... love the water, boating etc... need a good school for our son (now age 5)...Any recommendations? We are looking at Hampstead on or near Intercoastal water.... ADVICE???

Last edited by Laurie jovans; 01-01-2014 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina