U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2006, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 7,070 times

Advertisements

We're from the Hudson Valley of N.Y. and have always gone to Hatteras for beach vacations. After a few years off -- having kids left and right -- we're looking to find a non-crowded, great beach vacation next summer and were kind of shocked to see the prices for week-long house-rentals in Hatteras/the whole Outer Banks.

Has anyone stayed over at Kure Beach? Palm Aire cottages, maybe?

Any advice? Warnings? Other places we should be looking at?

My kids are 6, 9, 11, and 14 years old, and are NOT the kind of kids who require constant obnoxious stimulations. We're looking for a great beach, some area to swim without getting eaten by sharks, a couple of restaurant options around (1/2 of us are vegetarians), and some quiet.

The prices at Bald Island were even crazier than the Outer Banks.

I'd love to hear from you, based on your experiences.

Best,
Jerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 05:39 PM

212 posts, read 988,929 times
One of the best things you might try is to postpone your beach vacation 'till after Labor Day. Beach conditions are ideal (have to watch out for the odd hurricane now and then) and prices return to reason.

I'm sort of radical but having grown up at the beach I feel early October is the absolute best time to go to the beach in NC. The weather is usually unreal, the crowds are gone, costs are low, and the water is still warm enough to swim in all day.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:07 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,899,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddog View Post
We're from the Hudson Valley of N.Y. and have always gone to Hatteras for beach vacations. After a few years off -- having kids left and right -- we're looking to find a non-crowded, great beach vacation next summer and were kind of shocked to see the prices for week-long house-rentals in Hatteras/the whole Outer Banks.

Has anyone stayed over at Kure Beach? Palm Aire cottages, maybe?

Any advice? Warnings? Other places we should be looking at?

My kids are 6, 9, 11, and 14 years old, and are NOT the kind of kids who require constant obnoxious stimulations. We're looking for a great beach, some area to swim without getting eaten by sharks, a couple of restaurant options around (1/2 of us are vegetarians), and some quiet.

The prices at Bald Island were even crazier than the Outer Banks.

I'd love to hear from you, based on your experiences.

Best,
Jerry

Hi there Jerry, I am origianlly from the Hudson Valley myself. Walden and Rock Tavern area to be exact.
Anyway I just spent sometime over at Kure Beach Aug 9th for a week.
We rented a condo in Carolina Beach just down the stretch there from Kure beach. I broke my ankle in the rough ocean there at Carolina Beach, everyone says they think it was a rip current. That was my first morning at the beach. I had trip insurance so they moved us to a huge beach house on Kure beach, because it had an elevator and I could not climb the stairs on the condo we originally rented in Carolina Beach. Anyway Kure beach was very nice even though I had just had surgery and was in pain and could not enjoy a darn thing. I just wanted to say I did like Kure beach better than Carolina beach maybe because I broke my ankle on Carolina beach and we stayed in a 4000 sqft beach house on Kure beach I don't know. If you ever get hurt there Cape Fear hospital is the best and I am greatful to all those who assigned to me there. I am a big baby and was not a good patient

The night before I got hurt I had the very best crab cakes ever ever at Michaels, you must eat there it's fabulous!!! I also received a tip from my doctor about a place called Freddie's I guess he makes great pork chops all kinds, I never did get to eat there though. I heard people come from all over to eat at Freddies.

Good Luck!

Old 09-10-2006, 09:32 PM

9 posts, read 48,452 times
Default Very nice.

About 10 years ago I used to live a few blocks away from Kure in Carolina Beach. It's definitely a fun place to go. Different flavor from Myrtle Beach (though I like that too). Quiet and much less built up. It has the added bonus of being so close to Wilmington. You can take a day for an outing to downtown Wilmington's riverfront and check out the battleship, shops, historic homes, carriage rides. You can go to the end of Kure Beach and check out the aquarium and Civil War museum or catch the ferry (you can drive on or take bikes) to Southport and wander around it's quaint waterfront town. My personal favorites for splashing around in the ocean are Hilton Head and Myrtle, scenic sites at the Outer Banks, and best all-around family vacation- Wilmington area beaches (for what it's worth!). I guess the only real negatives I can think of are that the beaches are kind of small and the rip currents can be dangerous there.

Gem

Old 09-10-2006, 09:37 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,899,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsmom View Post
About 10 years ago I used to live a few blocks away from Kure in Carolina Beach. It's definitely a fun place to go. Different flavor from Myrtle Beach (though I like that too). Quiet and much less built up. It has the added bonus of being so close to Wilmington. You can take a day for an outing to downtown Wilmington's riverfront and check out the battleship, shops, historic homes, carriage rides. You can go to the end of Kure Beach and check out the aquarium and Civil War museum or catch the ferry (you can drive on or take bikes) to Southport and wander around it's quaint waterfront town. My personal favorites for splashing around in the ocean are Hilton Head and Myrtle, scenic sites at the Outer Banks, and best all-around family vacation- Wilmington area beaches (for what it's worth!). I guess the only real negatives I can think of are that the beaches are kind of small and the rip currents can be dangerous there.

Gem

Yeah tell me about those rip currents Ouch!

Old 09-10-2006, 09:43 PM

9 posts, read 48,452 times
Default Sorry to hear

that a1m1700. Not a fun way to start a vacation for sure.

Gem

Old 09-11-2006, 10:07 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,626 times
Kure Beach is a lovely area. I always admire the beautiful, colorful houses when we're there. Especially this one peach-colored house and a lavender house.

Oak Island usually has less people than Pleasure Island (Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Ft. Fisher). It's mostly locals. There's a golf course there, a couple Putt-Putt places, a lighthouse (not open to the public though, because it's on Coast Guard property) and, of course, beaches.

Southport is right at Oak Island and you can take the ferry from Southport to Ft. Fisher and drive from there to Wilmington. Or you can just drive to Wilmington if you prefer, but the ferry ride is always one of our favorite things to do there. Such a pretty crossing.

Also, you can take a ferry from Southport to Bald Head Island if you'd like to check it out for a few hours or so.

Wherever y'all decide to go, I hope you have a great time.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:21 PM

720 posts, read 1,484,531 times
I second Oak Island----we drove from CT with 4 kids for years because the prices were good and the weather was great. We've rented condos and houses--always a great time.
The beaches are south-facing, therefore the surf is calmer than east-facing.
Big, lovely, spacious beach. Small nature center on the island, fishing piers, plenty of restaurants. The ferry to the aquarium---cheap and great!! Ft. Fisher museum--well worth the trip. USS North Carolina---wonderful.
IMHO, Oak Island is a more "family friendly" location than Pleasure island.
Have fun--wish I was going!!! We camped there last summer--campground was sold in November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina