U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,862 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Wilmington area due to a job change. We'll be working at the hospital there. I've looked at high schools in Wilmington as well as crime and haven't been thrilled with my findings. It seems the schools are rated pretty low academically - and the one school that is rated high (Isaac Bear) has no extracurricular activities offered. Crime rate is higher in Wilmington than NC as a whole. I'm a bit concerned.

I'm looking for input on where to live outside of Wilmington that will still allow us to commute to the hospital for work in around 30 minutes or less. Is this even possible? Also looking for good high school - academically with low crime rate (ie no metal detectors on the doors) that offers music/drama/dance and soccer as extracurriculars.

I've tried to be specific here, so I can get some good feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,773,666 times
[quote=NC transplant;22211782] I'm looking for input on where to live outside of Wilmington that will still allow us to commute to the hospital for work in around 30 minutes or less. Is this even possible? Also looking for good high school - academically with low crime rate (ie no metal detectors on the doors) that offers music/drama/dance and soccer as extracurriculars.
[quote]

Look at Hampstead, NC. The Topsail HS gets an 8 rating from GreatSchools, the Topsail Middle School gets a 9, and elementary schools get 8 and 9. Here is a website about their sports teams: **********Pirate Athletics - Home
They are part of the Pender County School System, and this is the HS web site: http://thspcs.sharpschool.com/home/ . FWIW, I would be willing to send my child to this system. I don't think they have metal detectors.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,862 times
Thank you! It was very helpful to get some direction. Hampstead is exactly what I'm looking for and Topsail HS is perfect.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM

10 posts, read 24,700 times
New Hanover HS is the school my son went to and my other son currently enroll no problems whatsover, there is a program Lyceum an interesting program, go to the website on take a look at it.
There is no metal detectors, this is not a big city and the fact that the school is located downtown means only that they are extremely well taking care of. I heard middle schools in Pender County are not good at given all the students the books they required and the have to share??? yeah I haven't heard of that before either, not even in California where we use to live.
NHHS has all kinds of sports and very competitive, but for more extra curriculum activities check the Lyceum program.
Don't judge a book for its cover you need to check it out, Hoggard also has a good reputation, and both are in Wilmington no more than 15 minutes driving, anywhere you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina