Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:55 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,245 times

Advertisements

We went to Atlantic Beach last weekend. On the way home I noticed red spots all over my legs. Turns out it's sand flea bites. They didn't bother me too much the first few days. Now, 6 days later, they itch like crazy . Anyone familiar with this? I had never heard of sand fleas before now. If anyone knows of a good cream, I'd REALLY appreciate the info. I've tried insect bite creams and it's not helping a whole lot. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 10:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
sand fleas are no different that regular fleas so you probably brought them home with you and will need to take the precautions to get rid of them. If your itching I probably try hydro cortisone *make sure your not allergic to that either ask the pharmacist at your drug store what they recommend.

I often see people say they are going camping at the beach and this is main reason I will never do that or lay my towel directly on the sand.

good luck *scratch scratch*

the link below is what to do with sand fleas
Fleas

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-08-2013 at 08:01 PM..

Old 06-15-2007, 10:08 PM

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 06-17-2007, 04:06 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,177 times
A few facts and terms are getting confused here. A "sand flea" is not a regular flea.
First off-The term "Sand Flea" is most commonly used by coastal fishermen to describe a mole crab. A perfectly harmless small crustacean (About the size of a quarter) that buries itself along the shoreline and is a great bait for fish like sea mullet Click Here

The term sand flea can sometimes (But not often) be used for the pesky No-See-Ums, which is probably what you encountered. This type of "Sand Flea" is actually very close to a mini-mosquito Click Here

Old 06-17-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
A few facts and terms are getting confused here. A "sand flea" is not a regular flea.
First off-The term "Sand Flea" is most commonly used by coastal fishermen to describe a mole crab. A perfectly harmless small crustacean (About the size of a quarter) that buries itself along the shoreline and is a great bait for fish like sea mullet Click Here

The term sand flea can sometimes (But not often) be used for the pesky No-See-Ums, which is probably what you encountered. This type of "Sand Flea" is actually very close to a mini-mosquito Click Here
Thanks so much for the info.! I wasn't sure, but I really didn't think it was regular fleas that bit me. If I had brought them home, my pets would be itching by now, and no one else in my family is having issues. Thanks again for your help !

Old 09-28-2007, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 68,366 times
i suffer greatly every time i visit my boyfriend... my dematologist recommened CLOBEX LOTION.. so far it has gotten rid of those dots which are left by those darn things.. i also take zertec for the itching which sometimes can be uncontrollable.. since they leave marks like the chicken pox and measles..

Old 07-15-2008, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 61,845 times
I was at a motel on the ocean in Wells, Me. At night I started itching. ...on my head and other places. Now I'm home and still itching. Did I bring sand fleas home with me? How do you get them out of your hair or head? Any suggestions?
I'm going to wash all sheets and buy Sevin dust to spray the mattress and carpet and everything then vacuum.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 AM

116 posts, read 533,033 times
Surprisingly, good ole cooking Vinegar will take care of the itching almost immediately. I know it is not a nice smell, but it sure knocks out the itch in a hurry.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:14 AM

917 posts, read 2,298,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az66cowgirl View Post
I was at a motel on the ocean in Wells, Me. At night I started itching. ...on my head and other places. Now I'm home and still itching. Did I bring sand fleas home with me? How do you get them out of your hair or head? Any suggestions?
I'm going to wash all sheets and buy Sevin dust to spray the mattress and carpet and everything then vacuum.
I know this sounds disgusting but...since you said you were at a motel did you consider head lice or bed-bugs?

Old 01-24-2009, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 62,967 times
Please help me!! We have a place in Burr Oaks MI that we go to 6 months out of the year, April through Oct. Last year almost everyone was having problems with bites around their feet. Even the dogs where getting bites all over their stomachs. I put this stuff called Seven all over the ground and it seem to help a little. The wired thing is these bugs didn’t bit everyone, my husband and I never got any bits but my daughter was getting eating alive and she was sitting next to me. I would say about 95% of the dogs where getting bites too. It’s like these bug are picky about who they bite! You can’t see then or feel them when they are on you, but you see and feel the bites after they are gone. Some how we brought the bug’s home with us! Now my cat is itching too!! She has licked almost all her fur out of her stomach and back legs. I have spent over $300.00 at the vets and he keeps telling me they are fleas!! I wish they where fleas, I know how to treat them!! I worked for this vet of over 8 years and he couldn’t find a flea on either animal. But he keeps saying they are allergic to the bit and that is why they are getting the skin reaction. I use frontline” on both the cat and dog, it seems to work for only 2 weeks before they start starching again; its supposed to work for 4 weeks. I bought “Mycodex” to spray on the rug and furniture and I bought a flea and tick mist (a repellant) to spray on the animals every couple of days but still my dogs stomach looks beat red and my cat still isn’t getting better either. It’s driving me nuts!! I was just watching the animal plant when they said something about sand fleas!! Could this be what I have?? Do these sand flies live on animal’s likes fleas do?? Someone please help!! I wont to prove to my vet that I am not crazy!! Or am I ?
I have pictures of my dog’s stomach that I took tonight!! I can send them if you can help!! Can anyone tell me what to use to get these bugs out of my house? How do you kill something you can’t see??

Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina