U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 PM

8 posts, read 16,978 times

Advertisements

Hi folks!
This winter I have been a climate refugee (aka snow bird) and packed up and left Boston for South Florida in November to get away from cold, snow and ice. Weather wise I love it, but SoFL is not for me for various reasons, and certainly not year round.

Alas come end of April I will be making my way up North again. I am not in a financial situation where I can afford to maintaining homes both in the North and the South, so ideally I would love to find a place to call home permanently where the weather is stable year round.

Other than that I am looking for a (large) town/ small city with a diverse population where it is safe, friendly, beautiful, near the ocean, but with some activities and "action" nearby. I am adaptable and don't mind the rustic.
I have previously lived on Nantucket Island MA.. is there any place somewhat almost like it in nature, or like a quaint New England town on the mainland of coastal North Carolina???

I am in my mid 40's, single, female, with experience from a variety of different types of work (yes I will need to work, and yes I know work can be very hard to come by!!!) which includes paralegal work, hospitality, and being a licensed aesthetician and therapeutic massage therapist.

Friends have recommended Wilmington... what say ye???
Thanks for any and all advise, hints, recommendations, warnings, information.. ... and Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 06:04 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,361,160 times
North Carolina is the home to "Half Backs". These are folks from New England that moved to Florida then migrate half way back to NC for good. Many years ago there was a PSA about NC with the lyrics, "I like calling North Carolina home". I think you will too!
North Carolina as well as coastal North Carolina is very diverse. Wilmington is by far our largest coastal city. A couple of years ago Wilmington exceeded the 100K population mark. Jacksonville-A military town-Is the youngest city (age wise) in the United States with the average age just under 23.
You have "big" cities like the one I live in Morehead City. Year round population is around 8K.
The Outer Banks is nothing but sand and water and fish and tourist stuff.
Many folks here at CD have many opinions about coastal NC and individual towns and cities. If you can-take a little tour of our coast both inner banks and outer banks. I have found over the years that folks tend to get a feel for a place pretty quick whether that feel be positive or negative. And please take the ensuing comments from fellow CD posters with a grain of salt.
Bill

Old 12-23-2011, 07:10 AM

11,271 posts, read 19,823,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acktroll View Post
I am adaptable and don't mind the rustic.
I have previously lived on Nantucket Island MA.. is there any place somewhat almost like it in nature, or like a quaint New England town on the mainland of coastal North Carolina???
I am speaking as a New Englander, but there is nothing like Nantucket. If you like historic towns, you might like Edenton, NC, which is about 5000 people located on a riverfront. Beaufort and Swansboro also have historic areas and are close enough to larger towns to find work, Morehead City and Jacksonville respectively. Wilmington certainly has activities for young people and the best shopping on the coast, but I find it too crowded and too busy. Nearby Southport has a nice historic downtown, and many retirees are moving there. We live in Sneads Ferry which is rustic, but has a diversity of people from the military stationed nearby in Jacksonville.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-23-2011 at 08:05 AM..

Old 12-23-2011, 08:19 AM

1,980 posts, read 2,640,593 times
well, my vote is for Wilmington, ha, because that is where
I live!

we love Wilmington for many reasons, beautiful neighborhoods, UNCW which
provides a certain vibe to the city and great jazz concerts .
a variety of musical style bands swing thru our fair town and the area is also home to
many artists and musicians .
theater is huge here [ for such a small town] there is also the movie industry which also
adds to the vibe .

Nantucket nature you wont find here, this is a subtropical area.

we prefer to live in a vibrant area and drive to the more quaint small towns for visits!

for us it is a must to have access to [many] great restaurants, music venues, happenings,
nature, shopping , health food stores , etc. and we have found that here in Wilmington.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:19 AM

Thanks so much people; I really do appreciate it! I will continue to do research and will certainly try to make a scouting tour; and yes I had a chuckle over the "Half Back" story as I've never heard that one before!

All best.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:43 AM

51 posts, read 136,077 times
Check out Rivers Edge in Shallotte, NC.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:14 AM

Thanks Dave, I will!

Old 12-27-2011, 04:53 PM

I have been online reading tons of information about a variety of smaller NC coastal towns, and the one that sticks out to me is Southport. Having lived year-round on Nantucket for almost 20 years I feel comfortable with a place that gets quieter in the off season; I'm drawn to the historical aspects of the town, and the fact that it is a little bit off the beaten path; yet easily accessible to metropolitan areas.
The nature sounds wonderful and allowing for year-round enjoyment (without having to shovel your way out or getting frost bites) and although I have not ever been there I am catching a relaxed, kicked back, friendly, casual vibe. I am hoping to be able to stop by in April on my way back to Massachusetts from Miami to do some scouting... in the meantime I would still greatly enjoy and appreciate more information... about everything and anything that has to do with Southport.

Thanks muchly, and a happy and healthy 2012 to all!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM

720 posts, read 1,486,820 times
I am a lifelong small-town CT dweller. DH and I "discovered" Southport in 1989 and have vacationed there almost every summer since. We plan to retire to the area in 15 monthes or so. If you subscribe to the paper, The State Port Pilot, you'll see that there is a lot going on there as far as activities go. If you want to be social and involved, it'll be easy to do. Of course, the location on the water is breathtaking. The weather in April will be perfect--enjoy your visit. As for the job situation, well , it's tough everywhere, but if you are in the healthcare field I think there are more options.
Good luck in your search! Feel free to ask me any questions.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 PM

Thank you for your input poodlecamper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina