U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 AM

33 posts, read 51,304 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Wilmington area this spring. This is one area on the radar for our retirement, in about 2 years or so. We would like to start a bit south of Wilmington, as we do not care to live in a big city, and work our way north, up the coast to Morehead City, and general area. We are hoping to gather suggestions on places to stay (pet friendly), restaurants, points of interest, and any general comments from anyone living in the area, may care to share. We are looking for a quiet community, but, want to stay within a certain distance of good healthcare, shopping, and such. I realize this may sound a little vague, but, we are just starting to narrow specific areas down, to a couple, and we have to start somewhere. Thanks in advance, Emilio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 02:22 PM

11,332 posts, read 20,000,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk04 View Post
We are looking for a quiet community, but, want to stay within a certain distance of good healthcare, shopping, and such.
We live in Sneads Ferry, which is quiet and reasonably priced. The biggest problem I have had is distance from healthcare. It would help you very much if you define your acceptable distance from a hospital, and draw a circle around it.

Looking back on our decision, I wish we had looked closer at Southport, Hampstead, or Swansboro. We don't have much for restuarants or shopping in Sneads Ferry.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 AM

Can anyone offer suggestions for restaurants, places to stay, points of interest, think outdoor activities such as fishing, hiking, etc. I am only looking for general info on the area at this point, not specific communities or cities/towns. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 AM

11,332 posts, read 20,000,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk04 View Post
Can anyone offer suggestions for restaurants, places to stay, points of interest, think outdoor activities such as fishing, hiking, etc.
Most of the beach towns have fishing piers, and you can surf fish a some times of the year. Plenty of charter boats too.

Wilmington has tons of good restaurants. Of course the beach towns have restaurants, but nothing stands out. Most of the beach towns are rental cottages or condos, but their are also motels in many. if you are bringing a dog, check with a pet-oriented web site.

For things to do, see the battleship, the railroad museum and the aquarium in Wilm. There's a turtle hospital in Topsail Beach.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:19 AM

794 posts, read 1,650,472 times
OK, south of Wilmington ( Southport )

Restaurants:

Joseph's, Northern Italian, "ON" the water.... Excellent http://www.josephsitalianbistro.com/

Yacht Basin Eatery, NJ Italian, "ON" the water... Excellent, lunch / dinner
http://www.josephsitalianbistro.com/

Mr P's Bistro, in town... Excellent
Home

Ports of Call, in town.... New / Excellent

Island Way, Oak Island, "ON" the ocean... Excellent
IslandWayRes - Home

Thai by the Sea, Oak Island, .... Excellent

Live Oak Cafe, in town..... Excellent
Live Oak Cafe - About us

Bella Cucina, in town, Very good.... lunch / dinner.
Bella Cucina: Seafood

Loco Joes, in town..... best burgers / fish tacos, very casual..... quite good, lunch / dinner.

There are quite a few more, but these are very good stops.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:28 AM

Thank you for the suggestions.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,863,668 times
I'll second the USS North Carolina and the Ft Fisher Aquarium. You can also add the Maritime Musuem at Southport to that list. At the same time you won't be too far from the Ripley attractions and other things at Myrtle Beach (an hour or less). It's still the off season so hotels should be cheap. If you're willing to listen to someone try to sell you a timeshare they'd probably pay you to stay.
USS North Carolina Battleship
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_North_Carolina_(BB-55)

North Carolina Aquariums North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher
North Carolina Aquariums - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Carolina Maritime Museum at Southport
North Carolina Maritime Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also drive 2hrs down east to New Bern to see Tryon Palace.
Tryon Palace - New Bern, North Carolina - Home
Tryon Palace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the same trip you can go further down 70 so that you can hit up Beaufort and Bogue Banks for the historical atrractions there and another aquarium. There are also wild horses at shackleford banks. These are all in the vicintiy of Morehead City. Morehead City itself is the retail center of Carteret/Eastern Craven County.

About the NC Maritime Museum in Beaufort
North Carolina Maritime Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Blackbeard's Booty On Display At NC Museum | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/06/10/blackbeard-artifacts-exhibit-opens-at-nc-museum/ - broken link)

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Fort Macon State Park
Fort Macon State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Carolina Aquariums North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores
North Carolina Aquariums - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wild Horses of Shackleford Banks
Crystal Coast NC | Emerald Isle NC | Outer Banks

Old 01-01-2012, 12:19 PM

27 posts, read 64,503 times
Welcome to Brunswick Island North Carolina

Loads of info on Brunswick County. I like the location because its less crowded than Wilmington but I can still drive there from Leland in 15 minutes. Also only an hour to Myrtle Beach area.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 AM

Thank you for the most recent suggestions. My wife and I are planning a first trip to the area in April or late March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina