U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 04:52 PM

4 posts, read 15,695 times

Advertisements

I am very involved in their schooling. My son has a severe learning disability in reading and writing. So I would have to really interview the schools when we come back down next month. I have seen the reviews on Dixon's elementary, middle and High Schools scores to say the least are scary to say the least! But, when you go to the parents forums and reviews a lot of it is misleading.
The sadder part is when we first rally researched Mimosa Bay and we fell in love with the whole idea! It states on there sight as well as Realtor the schools were apart of Topsails school districts! which to us was a Bonus because thats where we wanted our children to go to. When we checked into the Mimosa grounds an spoke to the company we found out the later.

I just don't understand How a reported "9" in 2009 went to a 7 then a 5 in the last few years. My big question is why??
But I will find out more next month after our ELA's are over and there EOG's, too. It also stated that it is a tile 1 school and we have the right to choose another as we see fit, just hope Topsail feels the same.

Nope not us at least not yes, but thank you Naomi! I appreciate your input.

Colleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 05:48 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,824,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc757 View Post
I am very involved in their schooling. My son has a severe learning disability in reading and writing. So I would have to really interview the schools when we come back down next month. I have seen the reviews on Dixon's elementary, middle and High Schools scores to say the least are scary to say the least! But, when you go to the parents forums and reviews a lot of it is misleading.
The sadder part is when we first rally researched Mimosa Bay and we fell in love with the whole idea! It states on there sight as well as Realtor the schools were apart of Topsails school districts! which to us was a Bonus because thats where we wanted our children to go to. When we checked into the Mimosa grounds an spoke to the company we found out the later.

I just don't understand How a reported "9" in 2009 went to a 7 then a 5 in the last few years. My big question is why??
But I will find out more next month after our ELA's are over and there EOG's, too. It also stated that it is a tile 1 school and we have the right to choose another as we see fit, just hope Topsail feels the same.

Nope not us at least not yes, but thank you Naomi! I appreciate your input.

Colleen
School districts are county based here. 2 different Counties. Sneads Fery is in Onslow, while Topsail is Pender. What you may be able to do is have your kid go to another school within a district if you provide transportation. You could have him go to Carolina Forest or Bell Fork Elementary. Also, as you said reviews don't tell the whole story and test scores are also a victim of demographics. Rural schools tend to have lower test scores. That is not a slight against faculty or how that school is run, and their is still often a lot of room for individual excellence. If you are an involved parent you may not have any reason to be concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina