U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2011, 02:54 PM
 
65 posts, read 137,103 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

looking for a gated community in Southport area,looking for input from those of you who live in a gated community, what do you like or dislike about where you live. We are a 50ish couple who will be moving down soon. We love the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2011, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,250 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Reputation: 5077
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach lover 2 View Post
looking for input from those of you who live in a gated community,
I live in Mimosa Bay in Sneads Ferry. I think gates are a waste of time and effort as long as there is still construction going on. The cops just caught some people stealing 10K worth of building materials as they were leaving the gate. People can also walk in through the woods if they are determined to burglarize.

OTHO, gated communities tend to have a lot of recreational facilities. We have a dock large enough to launch a boat, an outdoor pool,tennis court and a clubhouse. That's enough for us. We don't need a golf course. We also have a half-acre lot which is bigger than most communities have.

If I had a little more money, I would have bought at Eagles Watch in Hampstead. They have an eagle nest with a protected wildlife area and a cypress lake, as well as the usual amenities.

I have also visited a relative in Magnolia Greens in Leland. The houses are a bit too small and close together. They do have an indoor pool, which I wish we had. I also toured Brunswick Forest, and had the same reaction-- houses small and close together. However, plenty of people like these communities, especially for the social life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,250 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Reputation: 5077
One last comment, then I'll shut up. A screened porch is a necessity if you want to be outside in the summer. The mosquitos are fierce if the community doesn't spray them constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 PM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,899,704 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach lover 2 View Post
looking for a gated community in Southport area,looking for input from those of you who live in a gated community, what do you like or dislike about where you live. We are a 50ish couple who will be moving down soon. We love the beach.
What attracts you to a gated community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 04:12 AM
 
65 posts, read 137,103 times
Reputation: 23
Default Thanks Goldenage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
One last comment, then I'll shut up. A screened porch is a necessity if you want to be outside in the summer. The mosquitos are fierce if the community doesn't spray them constantly.
Please don`t shut-upwe appreciate all your comments. A large screened in porch would be part of our requirements. Also we have been down so the Southport area about five years ago to look at communities, I`m sure a lot has changed. We do have a lot in winding river ,but we would rather not go through the building process I will look into all your suggestions Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 04:20 AM
 
65 posts, read 137,103 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
What attracts you to a gated community?
We would not know anyone moving down, so we feel a gated community would have activities that would get us involved,we would also like a pool, and love to possibly have a beach house like ST James or Winding River,we are water people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Long Island NY
470 posts, read 487,477 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach lover 2 View Post
We would not know anyone moving down, so we feel a gated community would have activities that would get us involved,we would also like a pool, and love to possibly have a beach house like ST James or Winding River,we are water people

St James and Winding river are two communities that have Beach Houses.
Another one is Ocean Ridge. I opted for St James (not living there yet), for the same reasons as you. We live at the beach in NY and want to continue to have that option. We also wanted a community with lots of activities and good facilities. Winding River was a close second, with Ocean Ridge in the place position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 06:22 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
784 posts, read 1,634,126 times
Reputation: 337
canalslb, once again you can feel secure in the fact that your lot is still there and taking in the bright sunhine and breeze from the water across the street as we were over there yesterday to walk around the lake.

beach lover 2, we are late 50's and just moved into St James this past August after an exhausting search of plantations all over the South. Very happy with our decision and our new life here, spent the last 5 months analizing the building / builder / housing situation here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
4 posts, read 15,678 times
Reputation: 12
To Goldenage1 who lives in Mimosa Bay in Sneads Ferry. We are planning on moving there by some time next year. How is it there, the docks, the families, schools, I have been hearing mixed reviews on the schools and families that I am starting to feel dizzy..lol I have 4 children all under the age of 10. We choose Mimosa Bay because of the gated community, access to the boating and lodging, other amenities and recreational facilities for families with younger children. and now my Husband heard there are alligators in mimosa bay surrounding Alligator Bay? Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,250 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Reputation: 5077
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc757 View Post
To Goldenage1 who lives in Mimosa Bay in Sneads Ferry. We are planning on moving there by some time next year. How is it there, the docks, the families, schools, I have been hearing mixed reviews on the schools and families that I am starting to feel dizzy..lol I have 4 children all under the age of 10. We choose Mimosa Bay because of the gated community, access to the boating and lodging, other amenities and recreational facilities for families with younger children. and now my Husband heard there are alligators in mimosa bay surrounding Alligator Bay? Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much!!
Hi - I just responded to your alligator question. (Just be cautious, they have been seen.)

There are lots of kids in the area, and I think it's a great place for them. My neighbor seems to think that Dixon Elementary is OK. It gets only a 4 of 10 from greatschool.org however. If you are involved in their education, I am sure you can make the best of the school. Part of the lower rating may be the transience of the population. The families are mostly Marines, who have two-year tours of duty, then move on. Their kids achievement may suffer.

But, it is a nice enough area that some of the Marine families plan to come back here for retirement.

BTW, I just noticed someone started building on a lot overlooking the bay. Yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top