U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:35 PM

54 posts, read 99,857 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am a yoga teacher who recently relocated to the Triangle area. Part of my business is leading yoga retreats. I adore Italy, and it's the perfect place to introduce newbies to the beautiful world of yoga, but with the down economy people seem less able to fly overseas for their much-needed vacations.

Therefore, I am looking at holding my 2013 retreat on the coast of my gorgeous new state!

Finding information about the suitability of a place for a yoga retreat is pretty challenging. So I am reaching out to you to ask:

1) What area/town in the Outer Banks offers the most peaceful experience? (This can be during off-season, like early March/late Feb or early April/late March.)
2) Where would I be able to find a 6- to 8-room house that might be a little ways from the beach (ie, on a hill?), but with great views of the coast?
3) Do you have any tips from your own experience renting a vacation home for a week or a month in the Outer Banks?

Thanks so much for your help!!
Sara

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-29-2011 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: No advertising + posted in wrong forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 02:45 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,712,067 times
I'd suggest you also look at Pawleys Island in SC ... it's a small and intimate island, and you can find 6 bedroom rentals in the off-season for $2,000/week or so.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:52 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,636,805 times
I would highly reccomedn Bald head Island,
just getting there puts you into another world.

I know that artists from around the world and wilmington
go there for a yearly retreat.
will look for the link or perhaps just google artist retreat
on Bald head island.

Figure Eight is a private island north of wilmington , this place
is awesome but very exclusive , private bridge with guards to get over there,
bike trails every where, very peaceful place.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:56 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,636,805 times
the retreat that is held on Bald Head Island is called no boundaries,

there are no cars allowed on the island , no bridge to get there, only
ferry.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:19 PM

24 posts, read 62,789 times
I Agree with Movedtothecoast,

TO MUCH PRETTYNESS!!!!!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:27 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,719,959 times
My wife's family gets together for a reunion each year, and a few years ago we stayed in a dome home on Topsail Beach. Unlike most of the other homes there, it sits pretty much by itself, and has a private boardwalk out to the beach. There are several rooms, a spacious back deck, and a huge atrium with floor-to-ceiling plate glass windows looking out over the ocean. An amazingly zen place to stay. I can't remember how much it was, but I'm sure you can find out here:

The Beach Dome on Topsail Island

Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 PM

11,265 posts, read 19,810,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreLeo View Post
1) What area/town in the Outer Banks offers the most peaceful experience?
Why limit yourself to the Outer Banks? I think the suggestion of Bald Head Island and Figure-8 Island are great, if you can rent a suitable place. The Outer Banks is not especially peaceful with all the tourists.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,826,131 times
Yeah, don't let the Nicholas Sparks books fool you. During the tourist season the outer banks can be pretty packed, though not as "touristy" as Myrtle Beach or FL beaches. I'd say your best bet for out of way is Sneads Ferry/Topsail. They are like the forgotten beaches. Maybe it's from being close to the Onslow Beach where most of the military affiliated peopl in Jacksonville go. The unaffiliated civilians tend to go to Emerald Isle.

Other places to consider or "inner banks" areas like Oriental, Currituck or the like. In the off season, though, simply search for the best deal. Anywhere on the NC coast will be fine. Like others said, don't limit yourself to the outerbanks. They are an even farther trek from the Triangle than the Wilmington and down east area beaches.

Though I do wonder, being new to the area, you referiing to the whole coast as the outer banks. The outer banks, to most people, refers to a pretty specific area from the NE border down to Ocracoke.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:04 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,359,443 times
Here's something to think about. You can rent out Frying Pan Towers. Talk about an ocean view!

Old 12-30-2011, 06:45 AM

11,265 posts, read 19,810,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreLeo View Post
2) Where would I be able to find a 6- to 8-room house that might be a little ways from the beach (ie, on a hill?), but with great views of the coast?
I can't think of any hills except Kill Devil Hill (which is a park), but an elevated house might work. Maybe the penthouse of a high-rise, as there are some on Topsail and Indian Beach. I would check the Vacation Rental by Owner (VRBO) site. You can search on number of bedroom and location. THe priciest places will have the best views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina