U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,147,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Plantations are simply the term they use down here for " Gated Communities ".
Although I live in a "Plantation" community and it is not gated.
I think it was just a cute name. It has some small lakes, a little park...
That is included in the name.
It was never a plantation and never gated. Just a small community that is cute and charming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 AM

562 posts, read 932,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedCarolina View Post
Wow. "Plantation" with reference to a new community is just being used to name a subdivision. Whether it's a master-planned community (golf courses, clubhouses/pavilions, schools, etc), a golf course community or just a regular subdivision will take some research.

It is truly amazing how people will grasp at straws to take a conversation in a completely ridiculous direction.
This thread has really gone away from the basics. My question: Which plantation development do you feel people are MOST happy with? Financially, socially? We are going back to look at more developments (Saw Ocean Ridge, St James, The Farm, Brunswick Forest). We are from Southern New Jersey and wish to buy a lot before the prices start going back up. We think we have hit bottom. what do you all think?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 AM

11,261 posts, read 19,800,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
This thread has really gone away from the basics. My question: Which plantation development do you feel people are MOST happy with? Financially, socially?
I am most familiar with Magnolia Greens as relatives lives there. They are very happy with the amenities and services like the landscaping. They are a little annoyed with the rules and regulations, and wish their house had more storage.

Magnolia Greens is a mature community with only a few lots left. You would not go wrong buying there. My second choice would be Brunswick Forest, as there are plenty of amenities and they appear financially sound. I feel the smaller ones like Riversea have too few amenities. SJP is too expensive, too large, too far away from shopping, and not my cup of tea. (My personal opinions only, I can't say what the majority of people feel.)

They other thing you have to consider is what you really want to do in retirement. EG, would you play golf several times a week? Or, tennis? Do you want to swim in an indoor pool year-round? You should also consider other things like access to medical care in case one of you is seriously sick. How much do you need to be close to good shopping, like quality department stores? Do you want to be near the theater, arts and good restaurants? (Frankly, I enjoy the urban amenities, and wish we had looked more seriously at neighborhoods in Wilmington.)

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-30-2012 at 09:38 AM..

Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 AM

11,261 posts, read 19,800,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
My question: Which plantation development do you feel people are MOST happy with? Financially, socially? We are going back to look at more developments (Saw Ocean Ridge, St James, The Farm, Brunswick Forest).
I should have given you a better answer. Saint James Plantation probably has the most people, so they have voted with their wallets. I am sure they are financially sound. People who live there seem to like the life-style. So, if you can afford the SJP life-style, buying there can be a good choice.

The Farm at Carolina Forest seems to be a family-oriented community, so I'm not sure how many retired people will be there. I'd be interested in your impressions there, however.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 341 times
So, I read that the plantation term is used as a connotation of affluence, and laid-back rural living. Is there any intent to keep blacks out of these neighborhoods? Might this be a reason for using the name plantation -- to keep the neighborhood affluent, and not black? I just can't imagine that black people would want to live in any plantation -- despite how nice the homes are there. This seems odd.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:26 AM

192 posts, read 163,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn17 View Post
So, I read that the plantation term is used as a connotation of affluence, and laid-back rural living. Is there any intent to keep blacks out of these neighborhoods? Might this be a reason for using the name plantation -- to keep the neighborhood affluent, and not black? I just can't imagine that black people would want to live in any plantation -- despite how nice the homes are there. This seems odd.

Let's see; this thread has been dormant for years. A first-time poster comes along to wake it from the dead with a question/comment about keeping "blacks out" and "imagine that black people would want to live in any plantation". These are not points raised in the history of this thread.

It sounds as if we are being treated to an Internet troll with an agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina