U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2011, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times
Reputation: 24177

Advertisements

I've been reading this forum for some time now, and we are planning a visit in about 60 days to see if we like the Wilmington and surrounding area as much as I think we will.

It seems that many (most?) of the housing subdivisions are called "plantations" down there. (Saint James Plantation, for example - but there are many other examples).

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between my Arizona idea of a housing subdivision and a NC plantation? Maybe the plantations are more liked Arizona planned communities that have several subdivisions within the planned community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2011, 04:32 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
784 posts, read 1,634,660 times
Reputation: 338
Plantations are simply the term they use down here for " Gated Communities ".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 09:39 PM
 
2,784 posts, read 7,334,169 times
Reputation: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've been reading this forum for some time now, and we are planning a visit in about 60 days to see if we like the Wilmington and surrounding area as much as I think we will.

It seems that many (most?) of the housing subdivisions are called "plantations" down there. (Saint James Plantation, for example - but there are many other examples).

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between my Arizona idea of a housing subdivision and a NC plantation? Maybe the plantations are more liked Arizona planned communities that have several subdivisions within the planned community?
Interesting question.

Historically, a Plantation is a large agricultural area growing crops for sale. The term has regional significance. In some Southern areas, a Plantation consists of the manor house (farm owner) and several shanties (farm hands).

To use your example, St. James Plantation was a conifer farm. If you look at some of the vacant (treed) lots, you will see that the trees are all planted in straight lines and are actually quite young.

You will see the difference, between a subdivision and a plantation, when you visit.

If you are interested, read the book "Tales of the Silver Coast" A Secret History of Brunswick County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 PM
 
3,271 posts, read 2,637,997 times
Reputation: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Plantations are simply the term they use down here for " Gated Communities ".
Yeah, pretty much this. Plus there's the attempt at tying in a faux-historical element to what was farmland or woods prior to development. One would think real estate developers would use a term not so loaded with the peculiar historical baggage actual plantations have, but considering their target demographic maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 10:09 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
784 posts, read 1,634,660 times
Reputation: 338
Peculiar historical baggage ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2011, 05:46 AM
 
286 posts, read 552,728 times
Reputation: 172
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantat...American_South

As a southerner that's the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear "Plantation." I'm assuming the developers bank on northerners/etc not knowing the historical significance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2011, 06:22 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
784 posts, read 1,634,660 times
Reputation: 338
OK.... so being a "Northerner" and part of that target market for the "Plantations".... let me see if I get this right..... apparently all of the developers of the hundreds and hundreds of "communities" down south all got together one day and decided that because the word plantation is associated with slavery ( by some ), it would be a good idea to name these communities plantations...... as I delve further into this theory, I realized that it was the "Southerners" that had the plantations and slaves and were prepared to fight to the death to keep that particular institution and it was the "Northerners" that were fighting against it...... I fail to see how the name "plantation", and the canotation you seem to feel it brings to mind, would attract that Northern demographic target audience..... just trying to get it straight.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 12-31-2011 at 06:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2011, 07:28 AM
 
3,458 posts, read 3,111,926 times
Reputation: 1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
OK.... so being a "Northerner" and part of that target market for the "Plantations".... let me see if I get this right..... apparently all of the developers of the hundreds and hundreds of "communities" down south all got together one day and decided that because the word plantation is associated with slavery ( by some ), it would be a good idea to name these communities plantations...... as I delve further into this theory, I realized that it was the "Southerners" that had the plantations and slaves and were prepared to fight to the death to keep that particular institution and it was the "Northerners" that were fighting against it...... I fail to see how the name "plantation", and the canotation you seem to feel it brings to mind, would attract that Northern demographic target audience..... just trying to get it straight.
it worked on you, didn't it?



Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Interesting question.

Historically, a Plantation is a large agricultural area growing crops for sale. The term has regional significance.
i agree, i think it was a marketing tool that conveyed the idea of "luxury rural living." I associate plantations with the white aristocracy.

i admit i have wondered if naming it a "Plantation" in modern days is a way to signify "white people living in a rural area."

however, you could also see it as a "plantation of yankees", since the word plantation also means something akin to a "Colony."

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 12-31-2011 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2011, 08:05 AM
 
286 posts, read 552,728 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
i agree, i think it was a marketing tool that conveyed the idea of "luxury rural living." I associate plantations with the white aristocracy.
^ this

It sounds like a quaint, pretty place if you aren't aware of the regional history. That's why the developers use it to appeal to those from the north. To those who grew up learning the history of plantations, even visiting the plantations that have been converted to historical sites - it has a totally different meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2011, 08:43 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
784 posts, read 1,634,660 times
Reputation: 338
Well..... I never looked at it that way..... now that you mention it, that must be the reason we moved down here, just imagine... the very thought that 200 years ago some of the southern folk may have had slaves on plantations on the very ground we walk upon must have sent tingles up the spines of the hundreds of thousands of yankees that have migrated here in the past 30 years or so.... I must admit that would be a big draw for the folks up north to come and live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top