U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2012, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
13 posts, read 15,391 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

I'm a single bartender-student (on-line classes) who reeeaally wants to get out of Milwaukee. I've lived on the military base in Fort Bragg when I was young, and while I don't remember too much, I DO remember loving it. I don't drive/have a car, and I'd like to stay that way. Riding a bike in the winter here is out of the question. I am definitely not opposed to public transportation, as long as it's relatively safe.

Any suggestions? Is NC for me? If so, what city? I'd like to be near the ocean, but I know that may be asking too much

I'm not really a bar/nightlife person, although I do go out occasionally. I love parks, rain, SUN, quiet, food, hiking, camping, and anything water related.

Thanks for ANY help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2012, 12:59 PM
 
6,196 posts, read 14,245,360 times
Reputation: 4483
NC is really bad for public transportation. I'm from Rochester, NY, and I rode the bus for 10 years, years ago. The Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill), where I live, does not compare in any way. It would be extremely inconvenient to depend on buses here.

Most of the Triangle is suburban, even within the cities, so you really need a car.

Charlotte might be a little better. Perhaps someone from Charlotte will speak up or you can ask in the Charlotte forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
13 posts, read 15,391 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
NC is really bad for public transportation. I'm from Rochester, NY, and I rode the bus for 10 years, years ago. The Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill), where I live, does not compare in any way. It would be extremely inconvenient to depend on buses here.

Most of the Triangle is suburban, even within the cities, so you really need a car.

Charlotte might be a little better. Perhaps someone from Charlotte will speak up or you can ask in the Charlotte forum.

Transportation isn't really a major concern for me. I kinda wanted to stay away from the Triangle area...Wilmington? Jacksonville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 PM
 
6,196 posts, read 14,245,360 times
Reputation: 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepeppercorns View Post
Transportation isn't really a major concern for me. I kinda wanted to stay away from the Triangle area...Wilmington? Jacksonville?
You might want to post your questions to the Coastal NC part of the forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
13 posts, read 15,391 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You might want to post your questions to the Coastal NC part of the forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/

I did see that, thanks. I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else chimes in. I'm looking for the best place in NC for myself. Not necessarily the coast...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 01:46 PM
 
3,944 posts, read 7,533,617 times
Reputation: 4431
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepeppercorns View Post
I love parks, rain, SUN, quiet, food, hiking, camping, and anything water related.

Thanks for ANY help!!!
You can find these things in just about any part of the state. Got anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,403 posts, read 19,441,830 times
Reputation: 11289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepeppercorns View Post
Any suggestions? Is NC for me? If so, what city? I'd like to be near the ocean, but I know that may be asking too much

I'm not really a bar/nightlife person, although I do go out occasionally. I love parks, rain, SUN, quiet, food, hiking, camping, and anything water related.

Thanks for ANY help!!!
None of us can tell you whether NC is "for you", as we aren't you. It is for some people (a great many) but others don't care for it. We also cannot simply name a city and guarantee that it will be "for you", and you have told us very little about what you are looking for, specifically. Are you aware of how diverse NC is, with mountains, beach, and in-between; urban, suburban, and rural; liberal, moderate, and conservative; blue-collar and white-collar? Without knowing anything about what you're looking for except "near the ocean", we can't help you.

You should post on the NC Coastal forum for that kind of question, research the variious cities and find out which ones look promising, then ask again with more specific information for people to give opinions on. Asking "Is NC for me, and what city?" to a bunch of strangers will not end well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
13 posts, read 15,391 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
You can find these things in just about any part of the state. Got anything else?
Uhhmm?? I'm kind of looking for a small town, or a small-town feel?? I'm looking to get away from the city!! No more "downtowns." I'm in my early 30's, so somewhere where I can meet/see/hang with others my age? But even that isn't that important. I guess I feel like I won't know it until I see it...

Guess I'm just looking for a major change and a nice place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,403 posts, read 19,441,830 times
Reputation: 11289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepeppercorns View Post
Uhhmm?? I'm kind of looking for a small town, or a small-town feel?? I'm looking to get away from the city!! No more "downtowns." I'm in my early 30's, so somewhere where I can meet/see/hang with others my age? But even that isn't that important. I guess I feel like I won't know it until I see it...

Guess I'm just looking for a major change and a nice place...
You're STILL describing many, many parts of the state. If you won't know it until you see it, how are WE supposed to find "it" for you when you tell us so very little of what you're looking for?

Here is a list of all the cities in NC with pages that you can click on, and research different places. You sound about at that level of narrowing-down, right now.

What has put NC in your sights to begin with, if you know so little about the state? Again, if you "wont' know it until you see it", how are we supposed to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
13 posts, read 15,391 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
None of us can tell you whether NC is "for you", as we aren't you. It is for some people (a great many) but others don't care for it. We also cannot simply name a city and guarantee that it will be "for you", and you have told us very little about what you are looking for, specifically. Are you aware of how diverse NC is, with mountains, beach, and in-between; urban, suburban, and rural; liberal, moderate, and conservative; blue-collar and white-collar? Without knowing anything about what you're looking for except "near the ocean", we can't help you.

You should post on the NC Coastal forum for that kind of question, research the variious cities and find out which ones look promising, then ask again with more specific information for people to give opinions on. Asking "Is NC for me, and what city?" to a bunch of strangers will not end well.
I'm open to anything, is my point. So I'm looking for feedback of ANY kind. I said "I'd LIKE" to be near the beach/coast. It's not necessary. If you don't want to leave any friendly feedback, then why post? Be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top