U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 AM

5 posts, read 5,920 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I currently live in Ohio and wanting to move to north carolina. I have traveled many places but the ocean is my love. I am not familiar with coastal NC and need help. I am looking for a nice area with a good school district. I have two children, one in middle school and one that will be starting elementary within a few years. We do not want to live in the heart of a big city but do not want to be too far from civilization either! I do not need to be right on the coast but I do not want to live more than 20 minutes from it either. I am looking for any and all suggestions that may be helpful. I guess good schools and nice neighborhood is my top two priorities. I do not know anyone in the coastal area to ask advice...please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 10:20 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,629,511 times
check out Carolina Beach/Kure beach area.
they have a very nice small elementary school and the assigned highschool
is also rated good.

it is a thriving little community on an island about 20 minutes from Wilmington, one day soon
they will most likely be connected. lots of neighborhoods in between Wilmington and
Pleasure island.
it will help if we have the price range for your home and also check stats. for the area down here,
Wilmington is the largest city on the NC coast but even then it is not really big [100.000] with a lot more in surrounding area.

remember one person's "nice area" could be another persons pit , therefore it helps
to have more details.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:11 AM

15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times
Not to be difficult, but your first priority should be where you will find employment.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:26 PM

5 posts, read 5,920 times
Right now, I am looking to rent a place for a period of time that I can look around to decide where I want to settle in. I work in healthcare and will take employment in any facility, again, until I can find something I truly like. I am currently finishing school, getting my degree in healthcare admin. so my career will change soon anyways. I realize every neighborhood has its ups and downs and crime is a given. I would like an area with low crime and an active community. Again, one of my top priorities is a good school district for my children. I need at least 3 bedrooms and some sort of yard for my 2 dogs to play in with the children. I will definitely look into the area suggested...thank you. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:31 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,409,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsalla View Post
Hello all, I currently live in Ohio and wanting to move to north carolina. I have traveled many places but the ocean is my love. I am not familiar with coastal NC and need help.
Don't you think you should visit the area and see if it suits you before deciding you want to move there? Why do you want to come to NC, specifically, when you admittedly are not familiar with it? I can't imagine saying "I've never been to ____ and know nothing at all about it, but I want to move there," personally. Just wondering...plan a vacation and check out areas before you call the moving van.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,741,524 times
From your brief description, I just would say Newport, NC, between Morehead City and New Bern.

Just spent 9 days in hospital with IV antibiotics. Talked with lots of nurses about employment. I was shocked about the nurse and hospital layoffs at both New Bern and Carteret. I thought nurses were foolproof. In fact, my home health nurse (still fighting infection) was hired and then laid off, within a week at Carteret, so please don't ass/u/me that even health jobs are plentiful.

Good Luck.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:58 PM

364 posts, read 552,591 times
Could also try the Hampstead/Topsail Island area. Our schools have a good reputation and you'd be within commuting distance of hospitals and health care facilities in Wilmington and Jacksonville.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:34 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Just spent 9 days in hospital with IV antibiotics. Talked with lots of nurses about employment.
Welcome back to the forum, and your insight is very helpful.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:08 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,566,539 times
Unemployment in NC is higher than NE Ohio and there are a lot more options for healthcare administration due to a larger population in the Cleveland/Akron/Youngstown area. I don't think you'll find quite as many options in the area of NC you're looking at. You would probably be better off looking in the Raleigh or Charlotte area. I'm not sure of the population of coastal NC, but i'm sure it's much less than the over 4 million people where you live now..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina