Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 01:38 PM

13 posts, read 17,118 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I am proud winner of Diversity Visa Lottery - absolutely official and legal. I am graphic and web designer with more than 10 years of experience. My wife is a doctor - immunologist. So, me and my family: wife and two kids - boys (15 and 5 years old) have to choose our first place to settle down in US. What about Wilmington?

You might think - what a weird choice but I can explain: we always wanted to live by the sea with sand beaches, warm summers, swimming and so on. Probably you understand us if you try to imagine the place where we live now: Ekaterinburg, Ural mountains next to Siberia. We have here really really tough climate: cold winters: -10 ºF temperature can lasting for weeks, summers are short. If you've ever been in Canada or Alaska you know what I am talking about. And when we get a luck to change our lives completely why we don't try to choose the better climate? We learned a lot about California and Florida in internet and books and get impress with high cost of living in L.A., San Francisco Bay Area or San Diego. Seattle seems to us too rainy or foggy (I know you can say it's so stereotype to think this way).

So we turn our eyes on East Coast: Florida is all year bright and sunny but in other hand has its downs: high crime rates, extremely hot summers, cost of living. I have to say that we're not intend to live in big megalopolises like New York or Atlanta. We'd like to live in small cities with less stress way of living. I am doing freelance jobs via internet and I dont need to live in all these big big cities just for the job reasons. Although I browse Craiglist and some job sites and found some little job opportunities for me even in such small city as Wilmington.

Summing up we're looking for good climate, family-friendly neighborhood, not big city, good schools, low rents (at least in comparison with San Diego rents). We dont care for active nightlife, luxury shopping, high level restaurants, long commuting. Any suggestions, thoughts and impressions about Wilmington or another NC cities are welcome!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 04:32 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,415,635 times
Saw you post and had to comment...I have visited your home town. Flew into Perm and visited Berisniki and then drove to Ekaterinburg once the long way and once the short cut across the frozen river. I do business with the magnesium plants there. Wilmington will be HEAVEN!

Old 10-21-2011, 12:07 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
If you're looking at nearness to the beach, you might also look at some of the smaller towns in the Charleston, SC area (though it's considerably warmer than Wilmington in the summer), also other smaller towns in the Carolinas near the beach like Morehead City, Outer Banks (Elizabeth City, Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills). Be aware that there are a lot of hurricanes on the East coast and you can expect to need to leave town once or twice a year while a hurricane comes through. If you're open to living a couple of hours from the beach, you might also look at Chapel Hill, NC (159 miles/256 kilometers) ... there would be lots of opportunities for both of you in the Research Triangle area. Chapel Hill's also known for the quality of its schools.

Your wife will need to look into licensure to practice medicine in the USA ... process will vary from state to state, each one has its own licensing board. I don't know how difficult that would be, but I'd definitely start investigating the process now. From your wife's perspective, the Charleston area or Wilmington would be the best bets for employment ... there are a lot of nice smaller towns along the coast but she'll have a harder time finding a job. Given your comment about wanting to avoid a really hot climate, I'd say the Charleston area is marginal for you, anything south of that along the coast will be too hot.

My own choices for a move a few year from now? I've got Greenville SC, Chapel Hill NC, Wilmington NC, Charleston SC, Charlottesville VA on my short list. All are within a few hours' drive of the beach.

I'd suggest whatever you do that you rent an apartment or house until you get a feel for the area ... you don't want to buy something then decide a year later that you made a mistake.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:08 PM

Thank you for your answers!

caco54
It's a real small planet! Yes, we have a plenty of heavy plants in Ural which means a bad ecology. Do you live in Wilmington?

Vasily
Thanks for your suggestions - I'll think of it. You're certainly right: smaller city means less job opportunities. My wife doesn't planning to to practice medicine in the USA - licensing process is too hard and expensive. Maybe she'll trying other areas.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:56 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_S View Post
Summing up we're looking for good climate, family-friendly neighborhood, not big city, good schools, low rents (at least in comparison with San Diego rents). We dont care for active nightlife, luxury shopping, high level restaurants, long commuting. Any suggestions, thoughts and impressions about Wilmington or another NC cities are welcome!
Thank you!
Most cities and towns in America have at least 1 family friendly neighborhood with good schools.

But, I like Wilmington. I would recommend it.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:24 AM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
Wilmington is the best city in North Carolina. Of course my opinion carries some bias because I live here, but I love this city.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:29 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Congratulations on the visa! I had never heard of this program and read the wiki about it. I hope this section from the wiki does not affect you:

Hide2012 errors; lawsuit

Due to a programming error, the results of the 2012 DV lottery, which had been available since May 1, 2011, were rescinded on Friday, May 13, 2011. Around 22,000 applicants had been notified that they had been selected for further processing. David Donahue, assistant secretary for Visa Services asserted that due to an error in the selection program, the selection had not been random, with more than 90 percent of winners selected coming from among those who had submitted their applications during the first two days of the registration period. As a result, the decision was taken to void all selection results and re-run the selection process. New results were published on July 15, 2011. Kirit Amin, Chief Information Officer for the Bureau of Consular Affairs and Director for the Office of Consular Systems and Technology, narrowed down the figure further to 98%.

Kenneth White, an immigration attorney in Los Angeles, contacted the State Department in mid-May requesting that the 22,000 winners be allowed to go forward with their applications and that a second drawing be held for the remaining slots, arguing it would still be a random drawing. Those who had already won the lottery said it was unfair to nullify the results. The putative winners sought class action status to fight the nullification, but this was denied by Judge Amy Berman Jackson on July 14, who ruled in favor of the State Department.[18] Kenneth White has indicated the decision is very narrow and is very hard to appeal.

John Patrick Pratt, a partner of Ira J. Kurzban at the company [19] filed an appeal. Electronic court records indicate the filing was done on September 9, according to.[20][non-primary source*needed]

Office of Inspector General, U.S. has launched an investigation to review DV-2012 on June 6, Hide2012 errors; lawsuit

Due to a programming error, the results of the 2012 DV lottery, which had been available since May 1, 2011, were rescinded on Friday, May 13, 2011. Around 22,000 applicants had been notified that they had been selected for further processing. David Donahue, assistant secretary for Visa Services asserted that due to an error in the selection program, the selection had not been random, with more than 90 percent of winners selected coming from among those who had submitted their applications during the first two days of the registration period. As a result, the decision was taken to void all selection results and re-run the selection process. New results were published on July 15, 2011. Kirit Amin, Chief Information Officer for the Bureau of Consular Affairs and Director for the Office of Consular Systems and Technology, narrowed down the figure further to 98%.

Kenneth White, an immigration attorney in Los Angeles, contacted the State Department in mid-May requesting that the 22,000 winners be allowed to go forward with their applications and that a second drawing be held for the remaining slots, arguing it would still be a random drawing. Those who had already won the lottery said it was unfair to nullify the results. The putative winners sought class action status to fight the nullification, but this was denied by Judge Amy Berman Jackson on July 14, who ruled in favor of the State Department.[18] Kenneth White has indicated the decision is very narrow and is very hard to appeal.

John Patrick Pratt, a partner of Ira J. Kurzban at the company [19] filed an appeal. Electronic court records indicate the filing was done on September 9, according to.[20][non-primary source*needed]

Office of Inspector General, U.S. has launched an investigation to review DV-2012 on June 6, 2011.[21][22][22] Would-be immigrants who were initially selected unsuccessfully sued the State Department in a class-action suit,[23] The office is expected to provide initial results of investigation by the end of August 2011.

The 22316 May winners joined into several internet groups seeking for a Congressional action on their behalf.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:21 PM

700 posts, read 1,645,815 times
I think that Virginia beach or even The Jersey Shore would be a great choice. Large Russian pop.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:16 AM

I browsed another sites and forums and now I have a little doubt which I can call as "Climate isn't everything and Wilmington is not a welcoming place for strangers"

Just some opinions:
"Unfortunatley, the people were not, and still are not, tolerant of northerners (or anyone not born in Wilmington) unless you are a tourist spending money. They are very welcoming at that stage, but move here and it is a different story!! "

" They still celebrate that they are the last town in America to fight to conserve slavery and they are proud of it. That last statement pretty much sums up the real Wilmington. If you are coming to visit and spend money, they will be pleasant and tolerate you. If you come to stay and "steal their jobs" or "impose on your muticultural or northern ways" on their southern lifestyle, they will do everything they can to make you leave."

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Is it true that Wilmington residents are not welcome to newcomers (even if they are caucasian), especially from another countries?

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 03:54 AM..

Old 10-24-2011, 07:18 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,186 times
I don't think you'll find people will be unwelcoming at all. Most people I have met in Wilmington and its surrounding areas are relocated from other areas, same as Raleigh area. I live in Raleigh but go to Wilmington and its surround ing areas often. As for being a foreigner, I think you'll find that people will be excited to have a Russian in the area. I don't know what it is, but we love your accents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina