Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 09:13 AM

858 posts, read 2,985,242 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to retire to the New Bern to Newport area, Last trip down, we concentrated on New Bern, and while we haven't zeroed in on a specific location yet, we do like the Brices Creek area. Next time down, we'll take a look at Newport and Morehead City.

We ran into a couple a little while ago who indicated they looked at the NB area, but said they didn't chose it because there is nothing to do there. While we aren't party folks, we do go to occasional concerts, and shows. We have an arts center and theater within 25 miles from where we live in NJ now.

While we are retiring, we don't want to just sit in the house; So what's there to do in the area?

Thank you,....marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 12:38 PM

12 posts, read 58,082 times
Here are some websites for you:

Historical New Bern, North Carolina
City of New Bern, NC
ENCToday.com : Homepage
North Carolina Aquariums

Hope you find what you need!

Last edited by kylamaerae; 07-26-2007 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: fixing urls

Old 09-01-2007, 04:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,925 times
Default Check out NewBernLife.com for New Bern, NC relocation and retirement info, events and activities

Dear Marc- My parents, grandparents, aunt and former boss all moved here to retire from very big cities (DC, Lexington, NYC) and we all love it! There are several thriving community theaters (do you sing or act?), there are always concerts, foreign movies and other cultural events at the large Community College theater, and other venues around town. The NC Symphony from Raleigh loves it here and plays 4 concerts a year at the Tryon Palace, and Craven Concerts series has brought opera, ballet and other events here year-round.

Don't get me wrong- it's certainly not NYC or NJ (I worked in Manhattan), but there are plenty of options for retirees who want things to do, from fun continuing ed classes, a great YMCA, sports and water sports galore, very fulfilling volunteer opportunities from performing as historical reenactors and docents to gardening to Habitat for Humanity.

My mother and I maintain a web site all about New Bern, including New Bern real estate listings, a new New Bern Relocation and Retirement section for retirees and other newcomers which lists MANY activities available in the area, and a full calendar of events: check it out at www.new-bern.nc.us or www.NewBernLife.com. You'll particularly want to read the Relocation and Events Calendar pages. We are in the process of revamping it to add even more info on our town- all those cool insider tips you only get after living here for awhile.

My father, Bob Bartram, owns one of the top real estate firms in town, CENTURY 21 Action Associates. He'd be glad to show you around town and point out the amenities and other activities. Just contact him off his web page at New Bern NC Real Estate Listings, Realtors, Lots and Homes for Sale, Waterfront Property, Custom Homes and Builders. Call CENTURY 21 Action Associates Owner-Broker BOB BARTRAM (252)636-7313.

I sometimes just laugh at my folks, since I don't think they really retired- they started a whole, happy second life and kicked it up a notch when they moved here, got very involved in the community and fell in love with New Bern, NC. They eventually recruited the rest of the family down here to get in on the secret to New Bern's success- friends, fun and sun.

I hope you enjoy it here... We sure do! It's not a big city, but it has a big heart, and it sure keeps us all busy... and smiling! :-)
- M.J.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:20 AM

843 posts, read 2,737,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
We ran into a couple a little while ago who indicated they looked at the NB area, but said they didn't chose it because there is nothing to do there.
When I used to live there, no, there really wasn't much to do in New Bern itself. But the selling point to NB is it's location. Heading East on 70 you're just 15 minutes from Havelock (which isn't much of an attraction itself, but MCAS Cherry Point is there and they used to host air shows), another 10 to Morehead/Atlantic Beach, and 20 more to Cedar Island where you can ferry to Ocracoke Island. West on 70 will get you to Raleigh in about 2 hours. South on 17 will put you in Jacksonville/LeJeune in about 30 minutes, Topsail in 45'ish, and Wilmington in about 1:15.

Then there's the pig pickin's in the region just about every weekend and that alone is enough to make me wish I was back...

Speaking of Cedar Island and Jacksonville, there is a very scenic and very gorgeous and serene drive along the coast between the two. I used to get up every-other Saturday and drive up and back, just for the sake of making the drive. Sometimes you'd pass through small towns like Swansboro or Cedar Point and they'd be hosting oyster steams or clam bakes or something. These smaller towns are also good for some neat little antique shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina